• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Someone looking for Pkzpfw 38 (t) interior?

t38_01.jpg

Captain Obvious (Modeller)

worluk (mod lead)

Just post the darn pics ;)

Upvote 0
What model of the Panzer 38(t) is that?

I think its an early (Ausf A-D) verison with 25 mm of frontal armor
any chance of making the later verisons with the 50mm block or the 25+25mm armor-I believe its a minor texture change in the front (number of bolts reduced) and they were very commonly produced as well (Ausf E-G). These later verisons served even in stalingrad and its thick frontal armor provided adaquate armor frontal protection against all other light vehicles and against some medium tanks at long range.

Excellent model and skin btw-
"Captain O always delivers the goods"

Last edited:
Upvote 0
and...one looking out the front hatch at the action.

2006291207244695082_rs.jpg

Unfortunately this is all I have so far of the TZF 38(t) reticle - this came from a russian manual of describing a captured example.

2001039006671212607_rs.jpg

2001094285867822280_rs.jpg

I believe directly above the triangle stechels the rounded arc of the range points should be located. Each gun has its own spotting scope with 2.6X magnification and 25 degree field of vision and lighted scales up to 1,500m. In a tight jam (if the optics got wrecked), the guns could be aimed over open sights using the mount openings, see above..

So let's see, that would make the markings in the optics for scale above the stechels to be: 100, 200, 400, 500, 700, 1000, 1200, and 1500 for the 3,7cm Pzgr ammo. I'm pretty sure that the marks are above in the circular markings a la the Pkzf III. My concern is that the Russian manual doesn't show them, and I also read somewhere that the gunner adjusted the range using a knob that made "clicks" when he turned it and so the gunner went by "feel", but again, not sure - I have a pic of a TZF 10 that went to the Pkzf I and II, and it shows the short scale of marks above the stechels so you're probably accurate to use it.

Also - the triangles would raise upward and lower downward from the point you see in the diagram very slightly as the different ranges were selected, as you increased the range, the triangles would lower, thereby forcing the gunner to raise the elevation of the gun to place the point of the triangle yet again on the target - this system was the same for all german TZFs and one that isn't accurately depicted in RO.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is a little number I worked up from my photo of a TZF10 (which is in the same ball-park, era-wise), and from the written descriptions I've read. So, this is kind of what I think the reticle looks like. I might be off by one of the range markings. 38(t) stechels are 1 center with 2 sides, versus 1 center with 3 sides as in the TZF10 and subsequent models. All german optics reticles were etched, and so the marks shouldn't look bold or heavy like they are painted on, but I realize this is hard to recreate onscreen. When I post the real TZFs on my blog, you'll see what I mean.
Anyway here is my meek attempt:
2000664000584538023_rs.jpg

2000668630171018768_rs.jpg

Upvote 0
Great pics, thanks for sharing. Most of these I already have but a few are new. :)

Yes I have been very busy lately. Without saying too much, I'm doing tank exterior work lately, not really interiors but soon I will get on those. I'm still fixing some issues with the StuG B and KVs.

Perhaps mlespaul can help me out with a question; where is the exact location on the outside of the turret for the gun sight? Is it that 'viewport' to the left of the gun on the front of the turret?

Upvote 0
Great pics, thanks for sharing. Most of these I already have but a few are new. :)

Yes I have been very busy lately. Without saying too much, I'm doing tank exterior work lately, not really interiors but soon I will get on those. I'm still fixing some issues with the StuG B and KVs.

I think I've helped you and teufelhund with the Stug B regarding the KFF driver optics, hope that's working out okay. :)

Perhaps mlespaul can help me out with a question; where is the exact location on the outside of the turret for the gun sight? Is it that 'viewport' to the left of the gun on the front of the turret?

You are correct - that's exactly right:
2001102069242026189_rs.jpg

2001178274922724260_rs.jpg

As far as the reticle pic I made, again, it's based on a TZF for the Pzr II....but...IF someone could get their hands on a copy of Jentz's Panzer Tracts No.18 Panzerkampfwagen 38(t), on page 18-8 is a picture showing the MG-Zielfernrohr 38(t) for the turret MG. On pages 18-10 & 11 are drawings of the main gun sight TZF 38(t) and the Turmrundblickfernrohr 38(t) commander

Upvote 0
Great - thanks for the info mlespaul. BTW, in that photo, the external sight mechanism seems to be pointed down, versus the gun which is pointed up. Shouldn't they be facing the same direction? Could it be cause the sight itself was disconnected.

Yeah, that one is in a Russian museum, and I'm also guessing, like you, that the sight is long gone, and the linkage was disengaged.

Here's a period pic of one with a bit better alignment :):
2001989674705554631_rs.jpg

And, by now, you know what a relic researcher freak I am so I figured to post these pics of an actual TZF 38(t). No reticle because the guy who gave them to me, wasn't the owner:rolleyes:. But here, anyway...

2000022950090655243_rs.jpg

2000055940307048482_rs.jpg

Heavy knurled rings are the adjustment rings for the main gun and MG stechels (aiming marks and range selectors). My original thought is that the one heavy ring is the adjustment for the triangles on either side of the main, and the other ring is for the main gun range selection. Therefore, the "click and feel" aspect when turning and the range marks inside doing the rotating.
Also see the warning plate which says:
"Warning!" Before adjusting the Kw.K (main cannon), reset to "0"
Before adjusting the M.G., reset to "x".

this probably gives some hint as to what's inside the scope picture. The scope needed manual recalibration each time before changing the elevation of either the MG or cannon..hmmmm...

2000050338028244977_rs.jpg

Back side showing the marks, and the spirit/bubble level, which means to me that the gun needed recalibration based on the true/actual level of the tank on whatever ground it was situated on at the time before firing...hmmm..another clue...:rolleyes: we still need Panzer Tracts....LOL

Upvote 0
Couple 'a more:

In this one you can really see the TZF 38(t) telescope portal alignment with the main gun.
These guys look like they're doing some standard maintenance/cleaning. Perhaps even checking
the boresight. Also note the the optic portal opening for the turret MG to the
left of the main gun and directly above the MG barrel (also pointing down).
Perhaps the reticle for that MG scope comes from that Russian manual.

2004631095258580851_rs.jpg

Here, the observation Turmrundblickfernrohr (TRblF) 38(t) is getting some attention from
the commander, probably cleaning off the grime or moisture from the opening.
Note the aircraft ID flag is covering the TZF opening.
2004629224497982782_rs.jpg

Anyone come up with Panzertracts #18 yet?

Upvote 0