• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Some Zed ideas to kick around

Amatsukenzan

Nov 6, 2010
And I'm sure ya'll will kick em hard.

First, I'd like to say I really liked this fellows ideas: http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=48721
I had a few ideas myself, but these ideas inspired me to post em. So any ideas you see here, include his too (as if they would all be added to the game). Anyways, let

Last edited:
Ok, well, its been like a year now, so i figure i have some perspective. I tend to make crazy overpowered things, and then not back down when people tell me its too much. Only with the brain and matty did i go overboard i think. Anyways, new stuff on here, quick looks in green (a quick description), fixed some areas of them, like spawners spawn time, and mattys overpowered pods, as well as removed brains reverse zed time (everyone hated it, I understand why now, still think it could be something for a boss). Also added quick hp/speed/damage (sorry no numbers, but you get the idea). They should be better now, and added a new guy.

Damn it, if only i could actually make some of these bastards...

Last edited:
Reactions: Nanostrike
Upvote 0
You obviously put a lot of thought into this thread, which is appreciated. Its a refreshing contrast from the "put x gun in the game for y perk" threads.

Like I said in the other zed thread:
I like them all. They all seem to have their place among the throngs of zeds that would come at you during a wave. Even better is the fact that they will most surely force stronger teamwork.

Upvote 0
I registered just to give my opinion.
heh
To start with I primarily play beserker and commando, I love the idea of spawners. As a beserker, nothing short of a fleshpound is really that hard for me. Even crawlers I can just pull out a bullpup or ak and drop them. This would give me something else I can't deal with on my own. As a commando I feel like this would give me something else to do other than just watch for the smaller mobs. It would give me something else to have to prioritize. Make these spawn on wave 2.
The Averice is a good idea too, but would the beserker still be immune to its grab effect? Would it do damage when it grabbed you, or just when it pulled you to its beak(yes, I imagine that it should have a beak for some reason to do some damage with it)? And the bloat has some range, do you think maybe 1.5 times the bloats range, or maybe twice as far at best would be better or is that just me? I would say have them spawning in wave 1.
Vengeance seems a little... overpowered. Even the fleshpound doesn't boost up enemies; in fact, it kills them if they get in its way. Maybe keep the suicide power and lose that, or weaken the suicide charge and keep that rage boost thing since it does seem like a cool concept. Spawn in wave 6, or 7 then move fp to 8.
Brain: I would say make its illusions be two at most per zed, and maybe give it the power to coordinate nearby zeds more intelligently ie make them all mob the player with the least health, or realoading ect. reverse red time is horrifying sounding. Maybe make a perk or two have resistance to that to make it more fair? I like the idea of spawning them on wave 2 though. It'll be hella annoying to have four crawlers become twelve. LOL
The Matriarch: Its a good idea, and I like the way you designed it, the only real problem that I have with it is Spawning pods. Ten pods spawning fleshpounds every twenty seconds? No ****ing way is that plausible. What if she acts like the Patriarch and takes forever to get to you? You're suddenly dealing with her, 10 fleshpounds, a billion crawlers, and everything else in the game. nerf that one a bit.

Anyways, i hope you liked the feedback.

Upvote 0
I do like the fact that you've put a lot of thought into these. Even adding just Spawners (and thus Minions) into the game would add a lot to tactics as they pose an indirect threat to players, and just camping in one space is no longer such a viable option every wave.

The Brain seems like an indirect menace which would need good communication to spot and kill. However, I'd suggest something slightly different:
-Same appearance but prefers to stay just out of sight of players, if possible
-Creates an illusion of a Zed from that wave out of: Bloat, Siren, Scrake or FP; a Brain spawns one illusion in front of it to attack players
-Illusions do no damage and take no damage, but otherwise act and look exactly like their real counterparts (eg. Sirens scream, FPs rage); they may shimmer slightly if dealt heavy damage
-Once an illusion attacks a player (Siren finishes scream, FP hits) it disappears, with a short cooldown before another can spawn
-Commandos see illusions as a red silhouette (as per cloaked Stalkers) when in range

The purpose of my version is to scatter the team's attention and allow real threats to close in. Since the Brain is not an immediate threat a well-communicating team (preferably with a Commando) can ignore it for a time but it will be a priority target whenever there is a break in Zed attacks.

Sorry to hijack your idea. Maybe anything beyond the Spawner and Minion is overcomplicating the game a little. On the other hand, the Matriach would be great with some balancing and refinement. Mainly less spawned Fleshpounds.

Upvote 0
In response to your responses:
Chickenzilla; One hell of a compliment man, you jump on to post first with me. Thank you.

I admit, i hasn't thought about grab immune for serk when I made Avarice. I suppose the grab immune would apply, but damage would be by a hit bases. Serk runs by, Avy reaches out and try's to grab hit, does light damage, and that's it. Lets keep the long range the same, since that makes it a dangerous foe to be dealt with (like a husk and clot mixed a bit), it's only like 15-20 feet. And yes, It could spawn on round 1, instead of a bloat.

As for Vengeance, the idea was to make a 'scary' foe, like a fleshpound. But you can't do the same thing. What makes a Fp scary? Tough, high damage, and fast when you piss it off. Vengeance is like a mini one shot Fp, fast and dangerous. The diffrence is hp. He only has med-high, so siren plus a little bit. That makes it not hard to kill him, but if your foolish and damage him without thought to kill him, he'll make you pay! It also means SS one shots will negate his VENGEANCE spikes, since he wasn't mad at the time. So, actully chicken, he is pretty weak, but dangerous if shot without thinking.

As far as you Great Brain ideas, yea, I like the idea of him making them more coordinated. How the game would do that, well... As far as reverse zed-time, yes, it is horrifying. That's the idea. Suddenly, every once and a while, the zed can whoop all your *** for a short time, and this makes the attackless brain a huge threat! (even if its a indirect one). One of the ideas I had for all my guys was shaking up the way the game is played a bit. Stand in one place, weld door, shoot guy who come from other direction. Yawn. Maybe some classes could have protection, but then It wouldn't be scary for them

Well, chicken, the idea was, YOU HUNT HER MWHA HA HA, not the other way around. You can kill the pods, and they go back tot lv one. It takes on normal, 2 minutes before one can start popping Fp. Remember, when fighting Matty, never stand still. Always hunt her and her spawning pod ilk (it makes very distinctive sounds). If she takes forever to get to you, she's doing her job. And she will almost never kill you. Those billion crawlers and whatnot will, because you refused to fight her right (like how just running from Patty gets you killed)

Now for Wannas: I like the Brain avoiding players, just behind a group, yep.
So a single, but more believable illusion, hmm? Could work (even in addition too actually).
Next part is basically what is so far, except the taking damage part, if they are more believable, that could work.
Make sure It finishes attack, since sirens attack over time.
I like this, but for mine I had it so commandos WOULD NOT see the illusion at all, however, for these more believable ones, it'll work.

And yea, I know no one likes the Fp spawns from matty, but she's gotta finish off a dumb team somehow. If you know what your doing, you'll never have to fight Fp at all.

Upvote 0
Minion: While not a creature that spawns in a wave per say, it is created by a few of my other ideas later. A sickly, short thing, about the size of a stalker, It appears and sounds like a gorefast. A few differences are noticeable right away though. First, it has both arms, and the blades are more bone then metal like. Second, its skin is night black, or more precisely, the tar like substance it

Upvote 0
For the minions, I didn't mean actual slow. I meant they get in the way like crawlers. And a serk past lv 2 could still one shot them with anything but the knife, they are weak. I just meant for normal peoples melee.

Spawner: sorry, my mistake, it was suppose to be 3 times (so every 15 sec seconds or so). Fixed now.

Vengance: It's suppose to be underwhelming... to begin with. Yes, he look sort of normal, but if you look close, his arms and legs are a bit to long, and much too gaunt. And I mean his elbows are bone thin! I imagined him as a super modal on meth, from a distance normal, even nice looking, but as he gets closer you see he has bag under his eyes so bad it looks like hes never slept and when he gets real close WTF CAN I SEE HIS SPINE THOUGH HIS AB'S? You know. (this guy but not so old http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ypJnDZ0QDkY/SAFcrlD4BII/AAAAAAAACMs/RGSdkhUyD1I/s320/Jeremy%2BGillitzer%2B1.bmp.jpg). And then his head splits down the middle revealing a huge maw that takes a chunk out of you with. Yea. Oh, and when damaged badly, erupts in long black spikes and suicide charges, exploding. Yea. Unexpected from the super thin modal meth guy. Surprises can be scary.

Great Brain: Lol. Be afraid...

The Matriarch: Well, I tried to create a very different experience then the patty. For him, you lock down an area, throw some pipes, and wait. But you have to hunt her, or die from mass o ****. I tried to do that for a few of them, foes you have to pick out, or even hunt down, instead of just locking down one spot and pushing them back.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Well, at least he read them. And I guess he's practically begging us to rate his posts down with his signature.

I'm not sure I like the reverse Zed time. The main reason is because it's completely out of the players' control, with no warning. As the game is now, every threat can be dealt with provided a team communicates and coordinates well. Taking this control away from players is a generally unpopular idea. Another thing is, how are you going to explain in the context of the game how a Zed slows players down? Very few explanations short of 'magic' can really give an adequate answer.

Upvote 0
Ok, well, its been like a year now, so i figure i have some perspective. I tend to make crazy overpowered things, and then not back down when people tell me its too much. Only with the brain and matty did i go overboard i think. Anyways, new stuff on here, quick looks in green (a quick description), fixed some areas of them, like spawners spawn time, and mattys overpowered pods, as well as removed brains reverse zed time (everyone hated it, I understand why now, still think it could be something for a boss). Also added quick hp/speed/damage (sorry no numbers, but you get the idea). They should be better now, and added a new guy.

Damn it, if only i could actually make some of these bastards...

Let me know what you think (offer not extended to trolls)!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The Spawner reminded me of the Bloat Mother from the KFL server.

You either kill it quick, let it throw up on you for no-low damage, or if it throws up without a player to throw up on (i.e. a taunt and dodge) it will spawn 2 baby/mini FPs.

I'd say don't make a specimen idea designed to be a weakness to certain perks.

We have the Firebug and Fleshpound. One "fatal" weakness is enough for the game.

Upvote 0