• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Some things just never change

SasQuatch said:
Artillery should be handled with care, what can I say :) Extreme care, like you would in real life, don't drop it whre your team mates might get close to, even the 'silly' ones :)

Aside from that, the server can also have a very low teamkill limit and or not use the artillery ratio setting for servers which can make a server more forgiving on team artillery mistakes.

I suppose I should post this in the server section, but could you explain which variable to set and how that setting works?

I see the following in the server ini files:
FFArtyScale=0.200000
FFExplosivesScale=0.500000

Thx.

Upvote 0
Yeah...I love it when people get mad at getting TKs for their arty when they set it IN FRONT OF THE FREAKIN' OBJECTIVE WE NEED TO TAKE!

It's like...2 minutes left...reinforcments are low, we're close...ARTY ON THE WRONG SIDE, WOOZA!

duh2zh.gif

Upvote 0
Yeah baby I got a heated thread here!
First all thank you Valac for your response..We need more people like you!
Some of you should have read the first post "THE ENEMY WAS OVER-RUNNING THE POSITION" Artillery is in dicriminate in real life, you shouldn't get teamkills for it. Same problem in Bf2 which was changed in patch 1.2 i belive.
The rest of you can say what you like but with the exception of a few, your killin this new community cause your of no help to anyone!
I'm play'n this game on line like it or not champ, just consider yourself lucky that RO doesn't have a medic kit with shock paddles cause I'd enjoy kill'n and reviving your ass all night long just so you could really enjoy the essence of a "teamkill"
Do ya think this is my first rodeo with FPS ...please anyone who is new to the game I tell them you haven't played it until you play online, So forgive me and the rest of the greenhorns for F'N up YOUR game! In bf2 they have a name for us i think its -tards-

Upvote 0
Floyd said:
I suppose I should post this in the server section, but could you explain which variable to set and how that setting works?

I see the following in the server ini files:
FFArtyScale=0.200000
FFExplosivesScale=0.500000

Thx.

You can also set these in the Web Admin. FFExplosivesScale refers to nades and satchels. Acceptable values range from 0 to 10, and represent a multiplier of the allowed tks before a kick.

An FFArtyScale value of 10, for example, would mean that every artillery TK counts as 10 team kills (!).

Your current value of .2 (the default) means that an arty TK counts only as 20% of a TK. So at that setting, 5 Arty TKs = 1 regular TK.

Upvote 0
*buys Valec a beer*

I always did like this team :) And keep practicing with the arty mate, you'll learn the maps and where/when to call better as you go on.

As a general rule of thumb, though, if you're playing on a linear single-cap (you cannot retake the objective after the enemy has taken it) it usually works best to hammer them quickly at the start (before they start capping the first objective) or when they're trying to assault hte last. Their area of approach is typically smaller in those two instances, so you're likely to be more effective with it.

Upvote 0
Whoaa there... has this guy been subject to a few too many internet thrashings :confused: ? You seem a little tender... take a chill buddy, my words were for everyone and anyone who might have done what I described, not specifically pointed at you. Your name was not mentioned. In fact, if you had ever played alongside me, or knew me in any way, you'd know that last post you made was a bit over the top and rather unnecessary. Killing the new community? Quite the contrary.

I've posted something similar in other threads because you'd be surprised how many people dont understand how to be effective with arty. Maybe that particular post came across harsh, but it was the way I chose to clue people in that time.. you need not take offense. Nor make it more than it is.

Upvote 0
maybe a mutator that logs the score of a player, time of joining and time of leaving. Then selects possible tk'ers ( negative score, kick rejoin kick rejoin). Afterwards admin check the logs, see a list of names. Check this list with for example lists fro the past and if you see it happening often. Imput a bann:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Question re arty as I hardly ever play as NCO on maps which have arty available...

If a barrage is coming down to say, clear an objective of enemy, can I then place the target somewhere else to stop it coming down so my team can safely move in? And if so do I have to return to the radio to redirect it?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
IMO players should use practice mode to learn the basics such as controls , features of the game etc.

I am quit willing to help a new player with various aspects of the game but it does get a little annoying being disturbed by such questions as "how do I go prone?" , "how do I pick up a weapon","how do I deploy the MG" etc.

These are all very clearly explained in the manual and can be tried in practice mode to become familiar with them.

Would you consider surgery if the doctor asked "where's the thingamajig to cut this guy open and what am I supposed to do again?"

Of course you can't compare RO to surgery but the basic premis is "learn the basics first".

Possibly it's just a cultural thing , used to having everything spoon fed to them on demand with little or no effort , possibly over zealous and enthusiastic , just wanting to hop on and try everything..don't know.

As I said , quit willing to help with the not so obvious , not explained in the manual very clearly if at all aspects but FGS don't ask me how to go prone!:cool:

Signed: Grumpy Old Man :p

Upvote 0
I do agree with you to an extent beer. You should at least know basic controls.

The reason I say this is because I have never played a game without at least looking in the control panel and switching **** around.

Any FPS I have on my PC, I set it up as similiar as possible to all the others.

As far as the comment earlier about telling someone to drop their weapon first before they can pick another one up. When I first played this game I had to ask the same thing. I feel questions like that are fine. I think someone asking how to cook a nade is fine. I dont think asking how to go prone is. Asking how to "RUN FASTER" is not fine.

Upvote 0
Nifel said:
Sounds like me trying to become a good tank driver, just won't happen since I get smacked around in chat for not doing exactly what the gunner wants.... *sigh*
Just drive for me sometime - I promise to smack you nicely ;) Seriously - anyone who enjoys playing from the gunner's seat should be smart enough to encourage people to learn to drive, to find hull-down positions, to jockey back and forth, to move while reloading and stop when loaded... takes practice, like everything else!

PS: You'll mostly find me on Euro servers...

Upvote 0
REZ said:
For people who are going to use arty, it's real simple, look at your map first... take into account where your troops are coming from, and where they need to go... NOW DONT DROP ARTY IN THAT AREA. In fact, if you want to be really effective, drop the arty in the path that the enemies take to the current objective.... not your mates. Brilliant.

Just because you say 'I'm dropping arty, look at your map' doesnt make it okay that you just dropped it IN THE CAPZONE WE NEED TO TAKE, or even worse THE PATH WE ARE TAKING TO GET TO SAID OBJECTIVE. It seems so elementary, but some people just dont understand the concept.

10/10

So tired of dieing to badly placed arty.

Upvote 0
I think it is funny when your commander is dropping arty and he say check your map and people don’t then they get mad when they get blown to smithereens and the really funny part is they keep running to where they just got blown the f away and then continue to complain about badly placed arty. Arty used properly supports the advance by isolating a part of or the objective area and or cutting off an objective from reinforcements- so one should never really have to drop arty right on the objective(sometime you should if the enemy is seriously entrenched) so if arty is dropped to one side of the objective don’t go running into it like a bunch of lemmings- go around and proceed to objective- another thing to remember- once the arty is called and placed its coming down and there's no stopping it- so if you use arty to quickly take and objective chances are that the arty will be dropping prior to where is should because of the advance- pay attention to your environment and you can avoid almost always avoid get blown up by your own commander

Last edited:
Upvote 0