• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Some things just never change

hattrik57

Apr 16, 2006
play'n snowy forest last night.
finally figured uot how to call an art- strike yeehaaaa!
So the allies are starting to overun the central forest, So I call in a barrage or 2 and bam i'm kicked from the server for team killing!
OK guys map reading 101. The mushroom cloud on your map,You guessed it an ARTILLERY STRIKE! GET OUT OF THE WAY...
I thouhgt I left this crap behind in BF2!

Did you actually hit anyone besides your own teammates? Most likely the server you was on has a teamkill limit and once you kill a certain number of teammates you are kicked. Now for the mushroom cloud on the map. Alot of people probably know these maps already and don't use the map as much, so when you used arty they weren't looking. Even if they do use the map if they are trying to shoot an enemy tey don't have time to stop and look at a map just to see if the commander is dropping arty on them. Because the commander shouldnt be dropping arty on his teammates just to kill the enemy. Finally if you dont have a mic to tell them that you are dropping arty in an area where your teammates are at then don't use the commander slot. Let someone with a mic use it.

Upvote 0
You need to alert your team in the chat console and with mic several times.
Just FYI - If you have a mic - sometimes people cannot hear you.:)

Players dont keep checking the map to see if there is a mushroom cloud.

Even if there is a mushroom cloud , it only means the area is marked for ARTY, not that any will be hitting the area anytime soon.
So , even after your barrage ended , the mushroom cloud remained until
someone moves the ARTY marker.

I am not saying that dimwits dont get you booted for TK with Satchels and ARTY because they dont listen or pay attention. But, the direct typed and verbal warnings right before you annilate the enemy help most. ;)

Upvote 0
Artillery should be handled with care, what can I say :) Extreme care, like you would in real life, don't drop it whre your team mates might get close to, even the 'silly' ones :)

Aside from that, the server can also have a very low teamkill limit and or not use the artillery ratio setting for servers which can make a server more forgiving on team artillery mistakes.

Upvote 0
Volodnikov said:
Yes, it happens, but since you just learned how to call in artillery, you shouldn't really be using it at all.

I just wanted to say how stupid posts like this are.

Since you dont know how to use something, you shouldnt try and learn. WHATEVA!

Get over it man, it is a game and people need to learn it. No better way than actually doing I say.

Upvote 0
Valac said:

Get over it man, it is a game and people need to learn it. No better way than actually doing I say.

Sounds like me trying to become a good tank driver, just won't happen since I get smacked around in chat for not doing exactly what the gunner wants.... *sigh*

Upvote 0
nochance said:
if you want to learn something you don'y know about shouldn't you go into practice mode. This way you don't have to annoy anyone.

I disagree. I never went in practice mode. If I pay for a game, I will play online or off. Just because I may not be as good at something at someone else doesnt mean I shouldnt have the chance to learn it.

If you wanna play with a all 1337 team, join a clan. Until then, pub games are just that. They are open to a wide variety of people with all skill levels. Instead of ripping on someone for not doing as well as you could, help them and you will soon have another great RO player to team up with.

Just my 2 cents here.

Upvote 0
SasQuatch said:
Artillery should be handled with care, what can I say :) Extreme care, like you would in real life, don't drop it whre your team mates might get close to, even the 'silly' ones :)

Aside from that, the server can also have a very low teamkill limit and or not use the artillery ratio setting for servers which can make a server more forgiving on team artillery mistakes.

I agree with you but what with morrons on servers. You use VOIP to alert the arty comming down, you write it in the chat, you call it again over VOIP and when you call the artillery you still have guys getting inside.

ANd the worst thing is that after 1 st voley some who remained out of the shelling area they move inside.

And the final result is you are kicked for team killing.

Arty kills shouldn't be counted as FF.

I mean what because you have few morrons on your team, the team should be afraid to use the arty ?

I see many commanders on pub servers afraid to use the arty because they don't want to be kicked. And on good servers being kicked means you pass your turn for a long period of time.

Upvote 0
Lionel-RIchie said:
I do it as a favor to my fellow gamers and to myself...so I'm not out there going "How do I enter vehicles? How do I enter vehicles? How do I do a double somersault backflip as the Sapper?"

The idea of going into the abusive world of multiplayer flying blind is a scary thought to me :p
That's different to not having experience, that's not even knowing the controls. I usually only play in single player to get to know the controls, then wham into muiltiplayer to learn how to play.

Upvote 0
Valac said:
I disagree. I never went in practice mode. If I pay for a game, I will play online or off. Just because I may not be as good at something at someone else doesnt mean I shouldnt have the chance to learn it.

If you wanna play with a all 1337 team, join a clan. Until then, pub games are just that. They are open to a wide variety of people with all skill levels. Instead of ripping on someone for not doing as well as you could, help them and you will soon have another great RO player to team up with.

Just my 2 cents here.

QFT.

Practice mode will learn you the basics but nothing more. I won't ever become a good tank driver in practice mode since bots don't act like a player would, be it enemy or ally. You learn, for the most part, by playing against other humans in RO:O.

Upvote 0
Valac said:

Exactly, today on Odessa, a new player asked how to pick up dropped weapons. I told him to hit 'Z'. He tried and then told me it didn't work, I explained that you have to drop your own before you can pick another up.

So then some gamer nerd comes and starts ranting on the new player, calling him a 'n00b' and the like. I let it go for the first bit, I didn't want to start a larger fight, but the guy wouldn't quit, so I guess I had to tell him to shut up and leave the new players alone.

Just because you first learned something, don't be afraid to use it. Type a few warning messages, and then let it go. If you still kill some teammates, at least it wasn't your fault this time!

You can also remind them to check their map!

Upvote 0
I DO think arty should be friendly fire.

It is part of learning. Obviously, if your team was there, you mismarked. Whether is was a choke point your team was covering or a route they were using to advance. Part of being a good commander is learning where arty works and doesnt.

I must say, if you are unsure, let someone else have the role and pay attention to where they are marking the arty and next time that map comes around, give it a shot.

Basically, if you are willing to accept the consequences of getting booted for tk's, by all means, call it where ever you want. If you dont want to be kicked, study the slot a little more before you take it.

Upvote 0
For people who are going to use arty, it's real simple, look at your map first... take into account where your troops are coming from, and where they need to go... NOW DONT DROP ARTY IN THAT AREA. In fact, if you want to be really effective, drop the arty in the path that the enemies take to the current objective.... not your mates. Brilliant.

Just because you say 'I'm dropping arty, look at your map' doesnt make it okay that you just dropped it IN THE CAPZONE WE NEED TO TAKE, or even worse THE PATH WE ARE TAKING TO GET TO SAID OBJECTIVE. It seems so elementary, but some people just dont understand the concept.

Upvote 0