• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Mac Solution to a majority of Mac problems...

SkullFinder123

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 26, 2012
Sevierville, TN
^ Title. Appears the only way to fix the whole issue is to just use CrossOver and run the Windows version of Killing Floor. To any of you guys who love this game like me, here's what to do:

1) Install CrossOver. It lets you run Windows applications without a hunch (for the most part) and runs the Windows version of Steam. http://crossover-games.en.softonic.com/mac

2) Install Steam. I'd close out your Mac Steam at this part. Just go to the Steam homepage and install the Windows version. CrossOver will ask you to create a bottle. Click yes, name it anything you want, and let Steam install itself in there

3) Install Killing Floor. Pretty self explanatory considering the Windows Steam is identical to the Mac version. If you made any extra binds on the Mac Killing Floor (like tossing 1 pound), you'll have to rebind your keys again.

4) When you actually play Killing Floor, your mouse will bug out as if there's something behind Killing Floor. Here's the fix:
1. Go to the Programs menu in Crossover, then select Run Command.
2. Type 'regedit' (minus the quotes) into the command box, and make sure that Use Bottle has the appropriate bottle selected. Press enter or run.
3. Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Wine/AppDefaults/
4. With AppDefaults selected, click Edit->New Key. Type 'KillingFloor.exe' (again, without the quotes) and press enter. The key will appear under AppDefaults.
5. Now, with Killingfloor.exe selected in the tree, once again select Edit->New Key. Call the key DirectInput and press enter.
6. With DirectInput selected, go to Edit->New String Value. Name it 'MouseWarpOverride' (without quotes) and press enter. Now right click it, and select 'Modify.'
7. An Edit String box will appear with the value name 'MouseWarpOverride'. In the blank Value Data box, enter 'force_edge' (without quotes). Click ok.
8. With these changes, you can now exit the Registry Editor and close the Run Command dialog.

5) All done! On a note: Dwarfs!? won't install properly via CrossOver. I'm still stumped about it too :(

Thanks for this! Please post back here if you manage to get Dwarfs!? working properly. I really want that axe. :)

Forgot to put in the OP why Dwarfs!? won't work on Crossover... so here it is:
In order to run Dwarfs!? you need 2 things, Microsoft XNA and Microsoft .Net

Microsoft XNA is a .msi document, and CrossOver can't read/open that type of file

Microsoft.Net (don't know if its just me) refuses to download because we're Mac.

In a nutshell, the Dwarfs!? devs created the game in a fashion that only those who have a Windows can run the game :mad:

If you REALLY want to play Dwarfs!? to get the axe, borrow a friend's comp for an hour so you can get the achieve. I did and I think the axe is a bit on the overpowered side

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Should I delete the steam on my mac?

If you want to...

What I do is have both versions, so when I want to play TF2 I just launch Mac steam, but when I want to play KF I just run the Windows version. Do not have both versions running at the same time, as they will start to war with each other over connection with the Steam servers

Upvote 0
As many others, I was not being able to register progress when playing online (kills/damage). However, I was still able to get achievements.

Try updating Steam! An update was put out today (13/01/2013)!

Today, everything seems to be back to normal. Played on three different servers and they all registered my progress. Just in time for classes to start over again. :(

If you were able to gain progress on Solo but not on Multiplayer, this update should fix your problem.

Thank you for all your suggestions SkullFinder123! I tried running Crossover previously... but my MBP is a Mid-2009. So it really struggled to run both Crossover & Killing Floor.

Upvote 0