• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

So whatever happened to the Russians dominating close combat??

gimpy117

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 6, 2011
Michigan
Remember back in the day, when the PPSH had a drum, and fighting the Russians in places like Command center (not Propaganda house) was just about the easiest way to lose? This was a dynamic I loved in the game, Russian teams loving to brawl close, and the Germans hoping for distance from those PPSH's. Now, it feels Like TW bent over backwards to Nerf the PPSH, with that silly box mag and the lack of selector switch, while allowing the MP-40 to be insanely accurate at range...and in my opinion, very powerful.

Lets face it, I feel the PPSh is as accurate when it comes to groupings, needing a volume of fire to kill at 50 yards, where the MP is very, very controllable maybe a little too much so, although Vidoes of period troops seem to show ease of control with 3 shot bursts or so. see vid MP-40 Axis & Allies World War II Re-Enactment Group, Inc. - YouTube and where as the PPSH, has a huge muzzle climb, where in reality a trained experienced soldier in the proper stance can keep the muzzle down well PPSH-41 in Iraq - YouTube

although, from a less braced position it seems to have more climb, but could be to shooter skill
SSgt Firing SMG - YouTube

Last edited:
The difference between getting sniped by the MP-40 and getting sniped by the PPSh is that the MP-40 user fired only one or two shots, whereas the PPSh user sent three or four short bursts your way just to hit you in the first place.

But the PPSH user doesn't need to put in as many bullets into you as the MP-40 user does. PPSH is the king of CQC, especially when it comes down to two guys turning a corner spraying and praying.

Upvote 0
Remember back in the day, when the PPSH had a drum, and fighting the Russians in places like Command center (not Propaganda house) was just about the easiest way to lose?

This always got me laughing about Ostfront.

I'm not sure when the trend started but at some point down the line everyone decided to abandon that point in Danzig. Then the German side always cries and wonders why they're losing.

They never realized that the Russian team will almost always, without folly, head straight for that objective before Langermarkt, because they percieve it as an easy cap. So defending Command Center heavily always threw a wrench in their gears, and often lead to a win.

I don't think I'd enjoy seeing that "EVERYONE CAMP LANGER" behavior from Ostfront creep into RO2's Apartments map.

Upvote 0
The people in the last 2 videos were pulling down the mouse :)

No but seriously, that's how your supposed to emulate that in any serious realistic shooter. If those shooters were simply giving a loose grip you'd see the same climb you do now- if the game automatically compensates then recoil is extremely easy to take care of.

Upvote 0