• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

So, what is the point of the DP-28?

Ossius

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 9, 2011
What benefits does the russian machine gun hold over the MG34? The MG34 has faster ROF, nearly the same accuracy, single fire, barrel that can be replaced, and at level 50 you have 550 max ammo with 250 per belt.

I'm just kind of bummed because every machine gunner (including me) just pick the MG34 instead of the DP when we reach the level where you can switch weapon load out. I liked the gun when I was leveling my MG class but I couldn't justify playing with it after getting access to the MG34. The only real benefit I can see is being able to visually tell how much ammo is left in your drum, but with 250 rounds who needs to count?

Am I the only one? Does anyone have some good stories of the DP28?

Before the update I preferred using the DP-28. I just found myself controlling myself with it better. With the MG34, I always found myself spraying like crazy, but that might just be me, because the rate of fire was so fast. Got five kills with the DP-28 within about...3 seconds on grain elevator.

Upvote 0
You don't have to hold R to check how much ammo is left.

The DP-28 doesn't have a huge iron bar obstructing your view.

Its recoil is non-linear, which makes full-auto firing against a moving group of enemies slightly easier.

At first, I thought the MG34 was a lot better as an LMG but now that I've played with them both a ton, I think they are pretty much equally effective in-game.

Upvote 0
In game the dp-28 has no advantages over the mg-34 it can still be effective though.In realism I can see why people choose the mg-34 over the dp-28.In classic they cannot with realistic load outs it balances out in classic.Due to the fact that Germans cant spawn in with the ppsh which is superior in close quarters over the mp-40.Also I like the svt over the g41 it being faster to load empty.This is why I think even realism plays better using a custom setting and classic loadouts IMO.

In real life whoever the dp-28 had some advantages it was truly a light machine gun.It could be deployed much faster and even hip fired better than the mg-34.The version of mg-34 used in Stalingrad was deployed with a belt and a team of ammo carriers.While the dp-28 was a true stand alone weapon system.It could be redeployed much faster than the mg-34 as the belt feed 34 often jammed if the belt was not in line with the receiver.

In game I think they could balance it out some making the dp easier to hip fire and making the mg-34 harder.It wouldn't be practical to hip fire a mg with even a 50 round belt hanging down.Making the gun jam due to improper feeding and getting debris caught up in the belt.The drum mags seen in game was rarely used by the heavy grenadier regiments in Stalingrad.They was used more with light infantry elite units like paratroopers and storm troopers.Very few German light infantry units was in Stalingrad as it was mainly a Wehrmacht operation using heavy infantry.

Upvote 0
To kill people with.

You are aware that Red Orchestra's focus is to be a realistic, Historical, tactical Shooter right?

I Think the 'what is the point?' issue stems from the fact he has unlocked the MG34 which seem superior in every respect.
I dunno if you can use the 'realistic/historical' jibe when you are talking about selecting an enemy weapon to use every time you spawn, like you could with COD WAW

Upvote 0
To kill people with.

You are aware that Red Orchestra's focus is to be a realistic, Historical, tactical Shooter right?

That has no baring on my question. I don't play classic, so when I play I can select any MG I want. Why would I disadvantage myself by picking an inferior weapon to simply be more Historically accurate? Also russians were known to capture enemy weapons and vise versa.

Might be the reason they're not including the MG-42.

MG-42 will be included at a later date probably. Hopefully Russians won't have access to it.

In game the dp-28 has no advantages over the mg-34 it can still be effective though.In realism I can see why people choose the mg-34 over the dp-28.In classic they cannot with realistic load outs it balances out in classic.Due to the fact that Germans cant spawn in with the ppsh which is superior in close quarters over the mp-40.Also I like the svt over the g41 it being faster to load empty.This is why I think even realism plays better using a custom setting and classic loadouts IMO.

In real life whoever the dp-28 had some advantages it was truly a light machine gun.It could be deployed much faster and even hip fired better than the mg-34.The version of mg-34 used in Stalingrad was deployed with a belt and a team of ammo carriers.While the dp-28 was a true stand alone weapon system.It could be redeployed much faster than the mg-34 as the belt feed 34 often jammed if the belt was not in line with the receiver.

In game I think they could balance it out some making the dp easier to hip fire and making the mg-34 harder.It wouldn't be practical to hip fire a mg with even a 50 round belt hanging down.Making the gun jam due to improper feeding and getting debris caught up in the belt.The drum mags seen in game was rarely used by the heavy grenadier regiments in Stalingrad.They was used more with light infantry elite units like paratroopers and storm troopers.Very few German light infantry units was in Stalingrad as it was mainly a Wehrmacht operation using heavy infantry.

Agreed, Asymetical balance is a pretty cool thing, and honestly I wouldn't complain if they removed the MG34 from the Russians, I want a reason to use the DP28, I think its a cool MG, I just can't bring myself to use it over the Godly MG34.

DP-28's In-game advantages:

--Will not overheat unless you abuse it to the point of absurdity.
--Can estimate remaining ammunition at a glance of the pan magazine.
--Faster reload from a partially full magazine.

It's a solid support weapon.

Reloading a lvl 50 MG34 with the belt feed is faster than the DP28 drum from what I've seen. I would love to compare the reload speed of a lvl 50 DP28 to a lvl 50 MG34, alas I don't think there is anyone with a lvl 50 DP.

Upvote 0
Seeing as my first post was deleted I'll rephrase -- apparently I offended someone.

I was merely saying that I also fail to see the purpose of the DP28 when the game essentially is built so that at a certain level, all Russian players can simply choose the superior MG34 instead. The net result of this is that you rarely see anyone using DP28s in-game on the Russian team which I think is pretty silly and unfortunate.

I said this in response to someone else in this thread who was explaining that the DP28's "point" in the game is to simply exist as a historically accurate weapon, but my point was that it doesn't even serve that role if no one is using it on the Russian team. I don't really like how both teams can unlock the ability to simply use the other's weapon. There are usually plenty of them lying around the battlefield anyway.

In other words, basically this:
I Think the 'what is the point?' issue stems from the fact he has unlocked the MG34 which seem superior in every respect.
I dunno if you can use the 'realistic/historical' jibe when you are talking about selecting an enemy weapon to use every time you spawn, like you could with COD WAW

Last edited:
Reactions: TrOOper
Upvote 0
Here's the complete list of differences between the two MGs, stats-wise:
Code:
MG34				   DP28

Weight=12.1 	                   Weight=9.2 				//KG			
FireInterval(0)=+0.075		   FireInterval(0)=+0.1			/** Holds the amount of time a single shot takes */ 
Spread(0)=0.000175                 Spread(0)=0.0002			/** How much of a spread between shots */  (random inaccuracy)
maxRecoilPitch=65                  maxRecoilPitch=75			// max vertical units a weapon muzzle will climb from recoil
RecoilRate=0.07                    RecoilRate=0.09			// Time in seconds each recoil should take to be applied.
RecoilMaxYawLimit=1500             RecoilMaxYawLimit=500		// Maximum yaw rotation of the weapon from recoil before the player's view moves
RecoilISMaxPitchLimit=450          RecoilISMaxPitchLimit=350		// Maximum pitch rotation of the weapon from recoil before the player's view moves when using Iron sights 
PostureHippedRecoilModifer=11.0    PostureHippedRecoilModifer=12.3	// Recoil modifier for hipped weapon posture
FiringHeatIncrement=1.25	   FiringHeatIncrement=1.0		// deg C/shot the barrel heat is increased
So, the DP28 has lower rate of fire (duh), slightly lower accuracy and stronger hipfire recoil, but gentler recoil and slower heat build-up.

Personally, I like the DP28 better. I really hate the placement of the range bar on the MG34's sights, and the way the spring pull ring on the DP's pan magazine shows its ammo count is pretty convenient.

Upvote 0