• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

So... TWI can you tell me why...

...the enemy is being rewarded for not cleaning up the zone/area after their successful assault and the defenders punished by spending more tickets to respawn after the idiotic PROTECTED AREA kicks in?

WHY is it strictly not the main spawns OR way in the back of the lines?

Some maps such as spartanovka you cant take 2 steps outside the housing blocks without getting that warning...

Am i the only one who thinks this is really dumb?

AN when you play with tanks things are worst ... you find yourself boxed in Tiny areas because the spawns adavanced and reduced a lot the area where you can move making those combined arms maps a bad joke for most vehicles .

Agree with OP: protected area should maybe go for defenders, but not attackers. It also seems inconsistent to me that in some maps if you try to spawn camp, you instantly die, whereas others seem to practically encourage spawn camping / artillery.

This is the real problem and iusue specially in maps as Pavlov's House and Station ... usually in station all the rounds starts with an arty baraga under the axis spanw 1 , and when it moves forward his spawn 1 ends again exposed to arty barraga and fire ...

The issue of restricted areas and advancing spawns is specially bad for tank hunters , a tank hunter is not a rambo that when sees a tanks starts running to it with a nade in his hands (well sometimes you do it when it's lose to you) , tank hunters use to hide and ambush ands bad that when you finally arrive to a good position you fin yourself dead becasue the spawn lines moved .

I don't understand the necesity to advance the spawn in most of this RO2 maps because mst of them are tiny compared with the ROST maps , advancing spawns as I said before is speacilly bad for combined arms map wher the tanks find boxed in tiny areas witout space to move ...

Last edited:
Reactions: Ambient
Upvote 0
I have to agree about the "instant" death issue. I've been in an area half a minute, all of a sudden, "PROTECTED AREA" flashes on the screen, and I instantly die. What kind of unfair crap is that? How am I supposed to know beforehand that this area will suddenly become filled with highly toxic death gas without notice?

Either give the player 5-10 seconds to get out -- and an ARROW to show him WHICH DIRECTION to move in order to leave the protected zone -- or move him to his own spawn area. If the new, protected area is a spawn or on top of one, then don't allow the team that it protects to spawn there for 10-15 seconds after taking it. This shouldn't be rocket science. I, too, would much rather see attention paid to maps such as Grain Elevator which allow one team to fire directly into the enemy's spawn!

Upvote 0
This. 1000x this.

5-10 seconds is enough to run in, throw a grenade at spawn, and run out. :(

I think if you enter the spawn and click to use any weapon, you should die. Then there's no rush at all to kill the player.

OH! and give him a hold "K" to surrender and respawn option while in enemy spawns. NO more aneurysms! :)
Surrender would not cost reenforcements for balance purposes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
5-10 seconds is enough to run in, throw a grenade at spawn, and run out. :(

I think if you enter the spawn and click to use any weapon, you should die. Then there's no rush at all to kill the player.

OH! and give him a hold "K" to surrender and respawn option while in enemy spawns. NO more aneurysms! :)
Surrender would not cost reenforcements for balance purposes.

I think when an area turns protected such as when the enemy captures a control point, it gives you like 30-45 seconds to leave the area. this can simulate your forces falling back in an attempt to regroup.

I think what most of us -- and certainly me -- are complaining about is when you're ALREADY IN an area, and it just instantaneously becomes a protected area and kills you. Not when you run into one.

Upvote 0
I think what most of us -- and certainly me -- are complaining about is when you're ALREADY IN an area, and it just instantaneously becomes a protected area and kills you. Not when you run into one.
That and the protected area moving at all. It should be fixed, in my opinion. Territorial control should be a tug of war. Just because one side gains an advantage and pushes ahead doesn't mean they can't lose it and have to fall back. These protected areas, as they advance, severely limit tactical options for forcing an advancing attacker back onto it's heels, in my opinion.

Upvote 0
if you manage to shoot someone in spawn they die however you then right after commit suicide and gib everywhere. this idea could work. :D

also id rather have a warning time so you can get out of the area that's the biggest problem there's no warning. though i like the idea also.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
suppression

suppression

Why not use the suppression system, as well as a countdown timer? There needs to be a clear reason why the player shouldn't venture that far, as well as a penalty for doing so.

Voice cues in this game are all over the place - Give the player a voice cue when entering a spawn zone like, GET outta there! they'll find you! or... something to that effect. Voice cues, coupled with suppression system wigging out on you, should deter spawn camping.... imo. Plus it makes sense that you wouldn't want to venture too far behind enemy lines or be scared out of your mind and surrounded.

Upvote 0
These are currently active spawn protected areas. Removing them will mean your enemy will spawn camp the living **** out of you or vice versa, and the RO community has always been very QQ on that issue :)

I think there are better ways to deal with spawn protection personally, especially since spawns moved closer to the action compared to RO the mod where this system was introduced, but currently this is the system in place, as much as I don't like it myself. The squadleader spawning makes the issue even more prominent.

It might be interesting to see what ideas for spawn protection could be suggested by you guys.

I liked the old way in RO1 where you would sometimes spawn in a building, then there were a series of doors that would "teleport" you relatively close to the objectives and doors would unlock/lock as you captured/lost objectives.

It was a nice system, you couldnt get spawn camped and you got teleported close enough to the action that it wasn't horrible like playing arma and spending 20 mins in a helicopter to reach combat, and at the same time it wasn't like bfbc2 where you would spawn and instantly get gunned down by the horde of medics that had set up camp behind you.

Upvote 0
In comissar house you can just shoot HE shots inside buildgins or at the exit with the P4 ... spawn places needs to be at distant places and have very good routes with enough cover to exit .
The spawn buildings in DH weren't really on the map, there's the "teleporter" buildings i referred to in my other post, there was no way for the enemy to attack you, then you would go through a door for example door A would teleport you onto the map to a spot relatively close to the A capture zone.

You would then be able to use trees, rubble, trenches, etc to advance from your 'teleport" location towards the cap zone.

Upvote 0
How about giving players a chance to get out of the new spawn area when it moves up. It sucks to be in the middle of trying to recap something only to be instagib'd when the spawns move. At most a 5 second timer to allow players that are there to move out, but once they leave it returns to being instakill. This would give us a chance to fall back, but also keep players from running back in to try and rack up a few spawn kills in under 5 seconds.

Upvote 0
I would just simply have any combatants that are in a zone at the moment it becomes a forbidden area to them simply teleport to their teams new spawnpoints.

I'm glad you used the word "teleport," because even though I made the same suggestion, it got me thinking. If a player were to simply disappear from the newly-protected area and appear in his own spawn, that is basically fast-forwarding 25 years to Vietnam, as in a helicopter evac.

I think the only fair and realistic alternative -- should the devs decide to leave the new protected area in -- is to give the player stuck in the newly designated protected area 10 seconds to exit, an arrow to direct him out to his own side, and to delay any spawn by the protected team into that area for the same 10 seconds. All problems solved!

Upvote 0
A spawn system like RO1/Darkest Hour would be best imo. The current system where you have to select your spawn point from the list is annoying to me because you've got this awkward pause in gameplay where you're looking at the map and then the list. But this could be partially fixed by making the spawn points on the map clickable.

I haven't had that much trouble with spawn killing but if it's a big issue I think some map changes might be in order. Spawn killing occurs because;
1) Limited amount of exits from spawn. A weaker team gets boxed into their spawn by the stronger team.
2) Badly designed spawn that lets the enemy fire into spawn.

Also, this whole expulsion and instantly blowing up when you're in/near enemy spawn can go if you ask me. Usually hostiles near spawn get killed pretty fast.

Upvote 0
It's not like you don't get any indication that the objective is being lost.

Sit on your butt at your own risk I guess.

As for having NO protected areas besides uncaps? What a ridiculous idea. Lets just allow players into areas that are supposed to be secure, turning the game into a Battlefield-style clusterf*ck with endless tail chasing and "flanking".

Sounds grand.

Reactions: Ambient
Upvote 0