• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

So... TWI can you tell me why...

It's not like you don't get any indication that the objective is being lost.

Sit on your butt at your own risk I guess.

As for having NO protected areas besides uncaps? What a ridiculous idea. Lets just allow players into areas that are supposed to be secure, turning the game into a Battlefield-style clusterf*ck with endless tail chasing and "flanking".

Sounds grand.

Are you implying that the game isn't a cluster**** already?

In the comissars house, I was pretty much holding the upstairs of that first objective with several other guys. We couldn't get out from there either due to the fact that there were russians coming in and trying to kill us non-stop.

So yeah, they managed to mass up and capture that objective, which then resulted me and 4-5 other guys exploding for no-good reason particular while in a middle of a firefight.

Sure is realistic game.

Upvote 0
Active protected areas should be clearly marked on the map (red/green shaded areas) and any players caught in the protected area when it is converted should get a ~5 second delay and a visual warning before exploding.

Getting a warning after being blown up is currently the most frustrating thing about protected areas. I don't have any problems with protecting spawns, just give players enough warning and time to escape.

Upvote 0
I think what most of us -- and certainly me -- are complaining about is when you're ALREADY IN an area, and it just instantaneously becomes a protected area and kills you. Not when you run into one.

Let me clarify.

Same system.

If you are in an area that suddenly becomes an enemy spawn zone, you don't die, but are informed that this is a "protected area". You have 2 choices.

1. hold "K" to "surrender" and respawn. This costs no reinforcements for your team.

2. Sneak out of the area. If you try to fire your weapon or throw grenade you are instantly shot in the head by an enemy that you can't see.

The point of this would be to give the player the control. If he really wants to stick in that area, he needs to be stealthy and not give away his position.
If he makes it out of the protected area without being killed, he's successfully escaped the dangerous area and can proceed as he sees fit.

Upvote 0
Active protected areas should be clearly marked on the map (red/green shaded areas) and any players caught in the protected area when it is converted should get a ~5 second delay and a visual warning before exploding.

Getting a warning after being blown up is currently the most frustrating thing about protected areas. I don't have any problems with protecting spawns, just give players enough warning and time to escape.

Agree.

I was just playing a round on Commisar's House as German. My team lost 'a', and was fighting to get it back. The Russian team quickly overwhelmed 'b' in that time and several Germans were instantly wiped out. There really needs to be a timer and warning system. It should be short, but maybe just give you a bare chance of making it out.

And I'm starting to think that spawning to the SL is not all it's cracked up to be. 1st off I'm not really picking up on anyone REALLY using the squad system anyway. It's one of those ROHoS ideas that sounds good in theory, but is difficult at best in practice....especially on pub servers. I know no one at TWI wants to hear this, but IMO the simpler spawn system from RO was better. You gained ground, the spawn moved up & became protected. That was that. Enemy players got a few seconds to get the hell out. Fair enough.

Overall, as much fun as I'm DEFINITELY having....I think at times ROHoS is trying to do TOO much at certain things. It has the feel of desperately wanting to be so world-beating and ground-breaking, but with all these warts. It's like picking up your prom date and she's got a smokin' hot tight dress....and a cold sore.

Upvote 0
Maybe a cutscene where you are surrounded by a bunch of grim enemies and you see your soldier just slump to his knees defeated. P.O.W.
Should even give the opposing team more points as one actually got caught by their progress.
It think quick cutscenes would be a neat and underused method of masking gamemechanics to preserve immersion.

Neither side would have taken many prisoners in Stalingrad.

Especially not the Germans, since they had no place to take them.

Upvote 0

I think this would be very bad.

By clearly marking where the spawns are, it makes it that much easier to camp just outside of the spawns. It would be like a great big target that says "camp me".

5 second delay is ok. I still like the idea of having unlimited time within enemy spawns, but you can't attack or you die.

Upvote 0
It's not like you don't get any indication that the objective is being lost.

Sit on your butt at your own risk I guess.

As for having NO protected areas besides uncaps? What a ridiculous idea. Lets just allow players into areas that are supposed to be secure, turning the game into a Battlefield-style clusterf*ck with endless tail chasing and "flanking".

Sounds grand.

RO1 and Darkest Hour didn't have spawn protection other then the teleport rooms and it worked just fine. I can't even remember the last time I got spawn killed in RO or DH.

The 5 second delay idea isn't a good idea because the player might not have enough time to get out and you might as well just blow the player up. That close to enemy spawn and you've got 5 seconds to leave? You're as good as dead anyway.

See the example below as to why any kind of delay is just a bad idea. There's no way for those 5 players to leave within 5 seconds or even 10 seconds so they get blown up no matter what they do.

Are you implying that the game isn't a cluster**** already?

In the comissars house, I was pretty much holding the upstairs of that first objective with several other guys. We couldn't get out from there either due to the fact that there were russians coming in and trying to kill us non-stop.

So yeah, they managed to mass up and capture that objective, which then resulted me and 4-5 other guys exploding for no-good reason particular while in a middle of a firefight.
Sure is realistic game.

Upvote 0
RO1 and Darkest Hour didn't have spawn protection other then the teleport rooms and it worked just fine.

It had, they were called "minefields". And the teleport rooms (yuck!) were added by DH if I recall correctly

I can't even remember the last time I got spawn killed in RO or DH.

*sigh*

Have you ever played Kaukasus?

Upvote 0
Wouldn't it be easier and cleaner to prevent spawn camping by disabling weapons and melee while you are in the protected zone? You get a message if you try to fire. They reactivate once you are out of the zone.

Well, That's a good idea. Imagine all the enemies in spawn zone trying to escape, scared and running TF2 style :D

Reactions: greenlemonade
Upvote 0
It had, they were called "minefields". And the teleport rooms (yuck!) were added by DH if I recall correctly

*sigh*

Have you ever played Kaukasus?

Do those minefields move up when spawn moves? I just tried it out on konigsplatz and after the initial spawn moved up I had no trouble walking in allied spawn(the one that moved up). Also you can still fire into spawn regardless of any minefield or protected instant death area.

And yes I played Kausasus, it's a oke map but not my favorite.

Upvote 0
It might be interesting to see what ideas for spawn protection could be suggested by you guys.

Move the spawn points back. The concept of protected zones is not the issue. The problem arises when the zone is so close to the back of the objective you can't even begin to encircle it without playing 'dodge the magic death fence'. They're also very inconsistent; some allow you to run all over the objective (Grain Elevator comes to mind), others pop in so close it murders any defenders still on the point after a cap. I am guessing the decision by map makers was to cut down on 'boring' time running to the objective, but I think it backfired.

That could also solve the similar issue of rampant spawn pillaging that already exists. Thanks to the direct sight lines, from unprotected zones, to many of the spawns I've been killed within 2 seconds of spawning plenty of times. And I'm not even counting artillery.

Wouldn't it be easier and cleaner to prevent spawn camping by disabling weapons and melee while you are in the protected zone? You get a message if you try to fire. They reactivate once you are out of the zone.

That would sure cut down on the cursing at least.

Upvote 0

I could go for this. Weapon jams if in a protected area (and you're not able to clear the jam unless outside said area), and every frag you throw from within one is a dud.

I still maintain, however, that the protection should not move with the objectives.

Upvote 0