• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

So... TWI can you tell me why...

Ambient

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 7, 2011
...the enemy is being rewarded for not cleaning up the zone/area after their successful assault and the defenders punished by spending more tickets to respawn after the idiotic PROTECTED AREA kicks in?

WHY is it strictly not the main spawns OR way in the back of the lines?

Some maps such as spartanovka you cant take 2 steps outside the housing blocks without getting that warning...

Am i the only one who thinks this is really dumb?

you are not the only one...
I got killed by that protection thingy few times for "living" the longest after the point has been caped...then "warning, protected area"...followed by death...

If I was killed by an enemy player, I would be like "meh, doesn't matter, I tried"....comparing to right now.."WTF!!!! I GOT KILLED BY THAT STUPID PROTECTION???? AGAIN?????!!!!"

Upvote 0
It needs to be removed all together imo, ROOST didnt have it, DH didnt have it, if a squad is good enough to get around the enemy to lay some flanking cover and give their reinforcements some more time to set up defence, then why not ?

It doesnt make sense and does not give you the sense of freedom of the map like the originals

Reactions: Ambient
Upvote 0
you are not the only one...
I got killed by that protection thingy few times for "living" the longest after the point has been caped...then "warning, protected area"...followed by death...

If I was killed by an enemy player, I would be like "meh, doesn't matter, I tried"....comparing to right now.."WTF!!!! I GOT KILLED BY THAT STUPID PROTECTION???? AGAIN?????!!!!"

Once the area has been captured, you cannot camp there forever, you have to retreat.

There is some logic in that. That is to avoid that people go/stay in places of the map where there should be no combat, so that action is concentrated in areas that are in dispute. And of course that is also done to avoid people beng killed just after spawn.

Bye
Maraz

Upvote 0
I understand what the intention is. It's supposed to ensure the game plays out the way TWI wants it to. With the attackers gaining territory an pushing your line back further an further with no way for you to push back once you have lost enough.

But even if we decide we like that it doesn't excuse defenders getting killed by this crap when they were already in the zone when it changed. If your already there you should be able to stay until they kill you. It might open up the possibility for exploitation by camping where the spawn points move to. But between having two different spawns plus spawns on SL's I doubt it would be a big issue.

Upvote 0
I died a couple of times in the beginning but seems the time before getting killed has been tweaked.
But I agree it is annoying the times you are dug in and the area becomes protected and I am too far in to make it out. Feels unfair. On the other hand I can write it off as becoming mia behind enemy lines.
Not that much of a deal and really drives the battle one way.

Upvote 0
Some maps such as spartanovka you cant take 2 steps outside the housing blocks without getting that warning...

The incredible distance you can flank is already quite far as it is in Spartanovka, now you are complaining that you can't go farther?

The objective is the housing blocks. Not the empty space around them, or the objectives beyond them until they are threatened.

I have never once been killed by the protected area moving up with a cap.

Maybe you should try playing the maps as they're intended and not snaking about and constantly trying to get into enemy spawns? I've seen far too many Squad Leaders trying to do precisely this lately (in order to spawn teammates behind the enemy) and it's really starting to piss me off.

Upvote 0
...the enemy is being rewarded for not cleaning up the zone/area after their successful assault and the defenders punished by spending more tickets to respawn after the idiotic PROTECTED AREA kicks in?

You have to play more aggressive. Also, if the maps were bigger, it wouldn't appeal as much to the aggressive player... which sucks.

Upvote 0
Like spotting or spawning on squad, Bad Company 2 did it better.

You're saying you liked the Doritos? Surely not. An FPS can't be fun when you're firing in the direction of little triangles rather than enemies you can see.

Spawning on squad worked okay, but was ridiculously gamey. Spawning on SL needs to work more reliably in RO2, and not punish the SL for actually trying to positively contribute, but it still needs it's limitations so that it can't be abused.

Agree with OP: protected area should maybe go for defenders, but not attackers. It also seems inconsistent to me that in some maps if you try to spawn camp, you instantly die, whereas others seem to practically encourage spawn camping / artillery.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Amen.

I'm waiting for a NO PROTECTED AREA MUTATOR.

Please add that mutator TWI.
(And a NO LOCKDOWN MUTATOR aswell.)

Upvote 0
These are currently active spawn protected areas. Removing them will mean your enemy will spawn camp the living **** out of you or vice versa, and the RO community has always been very QQ on that issue :)

I think there are better ways to deal with spawn protection personally, especially since spawns moved closer to the action compared to RO the mod where this system was introduced, but currently this is the system in place, as much as I don't like it myself. The squadleader spawning makes the issue even more prominent.

It might be interesting to see what ideas for spawn protection could be suggested by you guys.

Upvote 0