• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

So much more potential.

Dirty Smelly Fox

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jun 19, 2019
This game has so much potential. I for one suggest this game has a 1-6 Player Co-op story mode. Something similar to how Zombie Army Trilogy does it.. Go about learning the stories lore and how to put an end to the Zeds. Maybe have 'Safe Zones' along the way to visit the Pod as they progress the story.. or stick Pods right in the middle of the action. Another suggestion I have is some sort of lore based Easter eggs or 'secret endings' etc. For maps. Secret objectives or something like COD Zombies did, to give you hidden rewards or secret boss battles, I liked Elysium how collecting certain things unlocked new sections of the map. Build on that. Maybe you have a map that's a secret lair to a new boss specific map. But nobody knows about the boss or how to get to it, but there are things you can collect and put in specific locations to unlock the secret boss. And this boss is specific to the map.. like some giant monster outside the playable zone with specific weak points you have to hit, all the while you're being overrun by Zeds and having this boss attack you. Just ideas. I hope you read this. I would like this to get the attention of the Dev team.

In the world of game development, ideas are free and infinite, the details and execution is where the prize is. There are pro's and con's to every idea, and navigating around those with the resources you have (team, time, technology, etc.) is how games get made (or fail to get made).

The TL : DR here is the team isn't likely to undertake such a big task as this at this point of the games life cycle, but we are always planning for the future of all of our franchises. What we can't do today, we can possibly do tomorrow!

So let's dig in on your idea and open it up a bit and draft a high level design document called Dirty Smelly Fox's Story Mode where we go over some pros and cons:

Team size: 1-6
AI Companions: y/n? (This will greatly change balance and design of other parts. How do players accomplish tasks with no help alone needs to be seriously thought out, or planned around)
  • Pros
    • With AI Companions you can design more challenging interactions with enemies and puzzles that require more than one person
  • Cons
    • Making competent AI that doesn't frustrate the player is a VERY BIG challenge. It has also not been a Tripwire specialty so far.
Progression: Linear - New maps designed around a linear path with narrative story points
  • Pros
    • Linear progression maps can force players out of their comfort zones into some awesome play spaces and set pieces
  • Cons
    • Players are likely to grow tired of these types of maps quicker and want more content faster
Boss: One per map - New bosses for each map? Do we reuse existing bosses?
  • Giant bosses outside of the player zone -
    • Pros
      • Very cinematic set pieces and engaging "puzzle" based boss encounters can be crafted
    • Cons
      • not something currently done in game and would require new features to bring online
  • Boss arenas that specific bosses are built to fight in and make use of
    • Pros
      • Boss fights could be more engaging and require more puzzle solving elements
    • Cons
      • Would require a lot more work to go into maps and may result in work that couldn't be reused in other maps

Upvote 0
Hmm. You are definitely far more advanced in the way of thinking than I. Heh. I'm glad you built off my ideas though! I don't think AI companions are a good idea.. or maybe you can choose to turn them on or off. The maps don't exactly have to be Linear.. though I see your point. Also another idea I had..since you have given me an idea. What about also some huge maps. Hmm.. but that would be troublesome to the original gameplay.. bosses for maps.. I was not really thinking one boss per map.. but more like.. a new map with a specific secret boss after solving the secrets .. if they don't do it by round (boss) then they just get the normal boss.. unless it's endless.. then they kinda have all the time in the world.

Upvote 0
KF1 had maps like Candlecove or KF-RE1-Mansion... I don't know if any of these have been ported to KF2, of if new maps have been created? But they seem to fit your description more or less.

Other than that well... Should I point you towards Left 4 Dead? Not every franchise has the same things, and it's totally alright ! A more story-driven Killing Floor game was I believe already in the talk amidst fans before KF2 got released. And at first, it seemed we would have gotten just that as the grand scheme of things was "the UK is overrun, now the zeds are taking Europe by storm". But as updates rolled by, we had less and less elements of context... Quite a shame really.

You got the answer from the team itself (props to you btw ! And with such a thorough answer too... Thanks @Yoshiro ), but really : it shouldn't be expected to have such a big change so late into a game's life cycle. I can only expect something big as a "parting gift" once the last update will drop. But nothing outside of the formulaic update until then.

Upvote 0
Oh no. I understand, and yes I see a lot of games with similarities, I never really got a chance to play them sadly. I understand that KF2's time is running short. My ideas didn't have to specifically pertain to that game but more...ideas for a new game..or a build on a game in development. And.. oh wow. I wasn't paying attention to the fact he was staff XD that is pretty cool ^^;

Upvote 0
Everyone has their own likes and dislikes. I for one enjoy each and every map. Sure the horror element is kinda lacking.. but you also have to think.. after playing the same game over and over..you start to get desensitized to the whole thing. I'm sure people who played resident evil their first time thought it was really scary.. but if they kept playing it over and over.. especially the same game..with the same mechanics.. and knowing the layout of each area..and faced the same monsters..you eventually don't get scared anymore. When I first played killing floor 2 (never got to play the first game), I was a bit panicky.. confused and not sure what to do.. but over time..I got used to it. That's bound to happen.. but I still find it really fun. And I love the cosmetic side of things.. I would like to expand on it honestly. I like to show off what describes me as a person. And it isn't like it's harming anyone. It doesn't make the game any less fun. As it's purely aesthetics. I think dlc weapons might be a bit...much. definitely adds more confusion when it's a paid dlc weapon. Other than that? Yeah. The maps are fun. Elysium is by far one of my favorite maps. It was similar to my ideas on the original post. Collected items to unlock new sections of the map. If they built on that and made a secret boss.. we'd be set!

Upvote 0