• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

So I accidentally became a "Survivalist" the other day...

callumg1988

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 27, 2010
So I've been following along with the new perk discussions on these forums, lots of interesting points, most of which i agree with, especially the fact the perk skill choices are sadly quite average in their current form (but have total faith in TWI to get it done as they always do!).

BUT, the other day I was leveling my SWAT with a random team, and the Demo died so I picked up his Grenade launcher as I was low on ammo. We held out in the barn on Farmhouse, and I ended up keeping that launcher for another 3 rounds, even when I could have upgraded to more SMGs. That thing was so awesome to have as a sidearm, I caused devastation with it.

So this shows how the survivalist could work in practice. The question is how to distribute weapon bonuses, I found the the reload time for nade launcher in this case was a bit tedious and a reloading skill choice is something I'd definitely use if given the option, but current survivalist wouldn't seem to give that choice. Currently it seems only useful if you are a part time medic, Demo or Zerk, I main Zerk (but also play SS, Commando, Support and now SWAT, more rarely Demo).

What offperk loadouts do others reading this use? Other than this instance I basically am "OnPerk "plus a medic pistol. I keep trying to think of skill solutions and I've seen some great ones, but in this case even the good ideas still wouldn't suit me wanting to carry a nade launcher with an SMG or a rifle etc. Or even an RPG with SMG side arms! I was interested to see what loadouts people used and how they would like those cases to work :)

I like to use berserker with SCAR for trash, and pulverizer for the big ones. Personally, I'm excited for survivalist. I love the idea a lot, and well the skill tree could use some improvements, almost all of the perk trees have been redone and most of them are perfect now. See demolitions for example, it was god-awful when it came out but now I see at least one demo in every game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
callumg1988;n2277024 said:
So I've been following along with the new perk discussions on these forums, lots of interesting points, most of which i agree with, especially the fact the perk skill choices are sadly quite average in their current form (but have total faith in TWI to get it done as they always do!).

BUT, the other day I was leveling my SWAT with a random team, and the Demo died so I picked up his Grenade launcher as I was low on ammo. We held out in the barn on Farmhouse, and I ended up keeping that launcher for another 3 rounds, even when I could have upgraded to more SMGs. That thing was so awesome to have as a sidearm, I caused devastation with it.

So this shows how the survivalist could work in practice. The question is how to distribute weapon bonuses, I found the the reload time for nade launcher in this case was a bit tedious and a reloading skill choice is something I'd definitely use if given the option, but current survivalist wouldn't seem to give that choice. Currently it seems only useful if you are a part time medic, Demo or Zerk, I main Zerk (but also play SS, Commando, Support and now SWAT, more rarely Demo).

What offperk loadouts do others reading this use? Other than this instance I basically am "OnPerk "plus a medic pistol. I keep trying to think of skill solutions and I've seen some great ones, but in this case even the good ideas still wouldn't suit me wanting to carry a nade launcher with an SMG or a rifle etc. Or even an RPG with SMG side arms! I was interested to see what loadouts people used and how they would like those cases to work :)

the premier steal peoples guns perk

Upvote 0
Thanks for replies! That's a good idea with the Scar, and yes rpg aa12 would be madness haha. Maybe a skill choice could be weight related then for survivalist? That's a good thought... I'm actually.keen for Scar maybe Zwei combo...I'll give that a go :-D I'm kinda interested becuase of zerk was always my favorite class but when i commando or support or whatever i forget how fun guns are in this game. I hope they decide against med and firebug nades, i dont want to be given that limited bloody choice. But getting a melee buff, plua maybe a gun buff could be awesome, although giving up nailgun would be hard :p Cant wait to test combos now :)

Also i dont think i get the steal guns comment sorry haha :-D or you mean thats what it'll be?

Upvote 0
Boomstick is a great sidearm for any perk, it's relatively cheap, and packs a huge punch for a tier 2. 1 or 2 close up shots also stumbles bosses once every 20 or so seconds which can save your life, and jump + altfire sends you backwards like a dodge which can also save you. Also the Desert Eagle is a good backup for certain perks like Firebug or Demo, but for other perks like Swat or Commando it's kind of irrelevant since you already have better bullet slingers. Depending on your perk and what perks your team mates are using, different weapons make good off-perk choices. Boomstick is almost always a solid choice though.

Upvote 0
So you are saying that picking any off perk weapon = survivalist? Yeah, kinda.

Buut I will take different perks to get bonus dmg for certain off perk weapons (lower than the bonus for their perk weapons) rather than whole survivalist perk. Made this way though. If it was true Survivalist perk with its own weapons and skill tree, sure, why not, but now its a mess, imo.

Upvote 0
Yeah thats true, boomstick is legendary when i'm support, I'm one of the few zerks that loves slinging the nailgun though haha, my version of a boomstick, that thing is a powerhouse if used properly. But yeah I'm practically a part time medic as zerk, with the mates I play with one of us is guaranteed to be medicine master by a wide margin compared to any other randoms joining, so i can see how medic off perk buffs could be really helpful, but unless I'm medic, no way do i ever want stun grenades or explosive nades replaced by medic ones OR fire ones, they are my two least favorite nades in the game lol. You are probably right in filling gaps though. My main team when playing 'seriously' consists of zerk, commando, 2 supports and a sharpshooter (and whoever the random that joins is) So most bases are covered, so maybe survivalist just wont be necessary for us.

And yeah I understand what you mean rattler, probably not fully survivalist but it made me think about an unusual loadout, it made my swat quite lethal, especially because the pub team I was with were shocking with team heals at the start and not awesome at clearing the hordes of trash, so nade launcher proved even more brutal than the SMGs to be honest. But then when scrakes came i could flashbang and KRISS their heads off, so this perk could certainly work, but agreed it doesn't know which way to go at the moment, off perking doesn't seem as common as I remember it being in KF1, I'm remember as zerker rocking dual handcannons and just clearing a room if things got too hairy for katana haha, that was always so satisfying.

Upvote 0
yep agreed Dragon, that's what i found, even with a trash clearing perk like SWAT. But clearing like 10-15 trash zeds in one shot just instantly remove pressure, I even fired shots at a distance at crawler packs etc to stop them even getting near the action. That'd be a good build though, medic with explosives :D I might try that too :)

Upvote 0
Oy The Destroyer;n2277079 said:
Boomstick is a great sidearm for any perk, it's relatively cheap, and packs a huge punch for a tier 2. 1 or 2 close up shots also stumbles bosses once every 20 or so seconds which can save your life, and jump + altfire sends you backwards like a dodge which can also save you. Also the Desert Eagle is a good backup for certain perks like Firebug or Demo, but for other perks like Swat or Commando it's kind of irrelevant since you already have better bullet slingers. Depending on your perk and what perks your team mates are using, different weapons make good off-perk choices. Boomstick is almost always a solid choice though.

Gotta agree about that boomstick. As medic I always take it as a sidearm because I can quickly do a ton of damage and switch back to the AR without losing valuable healing time. I have taken down many a scrake (on 6P Suicidal) while still keeping my allies' health topped off thanks to the quick burst damage. My final loadout for medic is medic AR, medic pistol, boomstick, and katana for parrying heavies. I can't imagine taking that loadout as Survivalist though because I would lose out on a ton of healing/buffing power for a little bit more boomstick damage.

Upvote 0