• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

So how is DLC (free or otherwise) going to work with RO2?

mandead

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 16, 2009
United Kingdom
There's going to be this much spoken of vehicle pack sometime after launch, with the two light tanks and two halftracks, but what next?

Do you think TWI are likely to add new weapons and uniforms, etc. or just vehicles and tanks?

Perhaps new stuff will be added to be unlocked by heroes?

Ideas? :IS2: (**** tank)

Reactions: Fedorov
I expect that TWI will continue to release free content updates with optional purely cosmetic paid DLC packs, like in KF... What I don't know is what kind of paid DLC packs they would add to HoeS.

If is like in KF and they release soldier skins would that mean that there is some sort of character selection/customization?

:IS2:

Upvote 0
Well I think it's fair to say that KF will likely be some sort of precedent for them here. I know most of the stuff will be free in major updates (as has been discussed by Ramm in various videos) but with KF in mind it does beg the question what the paid DLC will comprise.

The thing is you're not going to have specific customisable characters here, but general classes. I'm all for paying a few pounds for new uniform packs, but with weapons and vehicles being universal I'm sure they'd have to be released across the board (ie a main update).

Upvote 0
I see no reason why they wouldn't sell cosmetic DLC's. The KF DLC's are popular and are a great way to support TWI.

Rolled up sleeves DLC. It's coming, you heard it here first. :IS2:
YES! An entire DLC pack dedicated to rolled up sleeves!

But yeah I would imagine they would do DLC the same way as they did for KF -- free content packs that add new maps (mapping contests), vehicles, weapons, etc with some purely cosmetic additions that are sold through micro-transactions.

This way people can pay for purely cosmetic things to support Tripwire, without fragmenting the community by making people pay for new content (and screwing us over).

I would definitely pay a couple bucks for some new player skins and stuff, if there is an in-depth character customization system (wish I really hope there is!).

Upvote 0
Agreed.

Making people pay for maps or tanks (thereby cutting them off from the majority) would be a massive error.

New soldier/vehicle skins and suchlike is cool, though.

Personally I think a good avenue to go down would be paid DLC for (extra) hero unlocks, as that's stuff off-limits to the average player anyway, so it wouldn't fragment the community.

Upvote 0
I'm all fine with supporting TWI or any company financially that makes something realistic over the run-in-crap that has become the cancer of the gaming community. But what I don't support is paid DLC. I know others and myself in the PC gaming community that will not pay for these items because they (1) split up the community, (2) will not purchase out of principle and (3) destroys the modding community.

I believe the best route to take is the expansion packs like BIS has done. I bought both Arma2 and Arma2: OA, and I loved them both. Neither one was a copy of the other, so both my experiences have been vastly different when I play them, not to mention that Arma2: OA is more optimized.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Haven't you heard, that TWI started their own term - FUC - in place of DLC, have you?

Free Update Content

Rumors says, there will be K letter in the name soon. However don't know for what K stands for.

;)
Kind of like their plan to make the game RO:HOES instead of RO2? :D

But again I don't have any problem with them offering cosmetic DLC, like character skins and such, as long as it doesn't detract from or affect the core of the game. Such "small" DLC is really more like a donation to TWI, which is totally cool.

Upvote 0
But again I don't have any problem with them offering cosmetic DLC, like character skins and such, as long as it doesn't detract from or affect the core of the game. Such "small" DLC is really more like a donation to TWI, which is totally cool.

I'm not convinced that's going to be the model they use, the options there are rather limited with Ro2, something tells me they will go for big expansion packs instead.

Reactions: Hans Ludwig
Upvote 0
Well they've already said that if the in-house mods (RS/IC/IE) are good enough they'll polish them and sell them as expansions.

Indeed, and perhabs it's important to point out that, by expansion, i mean something big and substantial, not some pathetic 4-map mappack, TWI has allready proven with RO1 and KF that they don't charge for thouse, they know they split the community and are bad for the game as a result of that.

Upvote 0