• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

So how come the instant eject from tanks/ACs never got fixed (gamey gameplay).

Tontoman

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 6, 2007
http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5321&page=3&highlight=disembark

Was just searching the forums about the prob (as I'm new as of Christmas) and saw this has been around for ages. At the time of the thread they thought it would be 'fixed' fairly soon but that was ages ago. So is it not possible due to engine limitations?

As said in the thread, this is the biggest emersion breaker for me also with clown cars being the biggest problem due to their speed. Having them running around a cap point is bad enough (you see the bad physics engine when they don't roll over as they drive not to go anywhere, but just not to get hit), but then you have the instant bail and satchel charge. To top that off, and what got me to do the search, having a guy outside prone on the car as it drives around. Gives an extra passenger, and if you kill the car it doesn't seem to kill the surfer (which is maybe why it's done). To me it's as sad and emersion breaking as the bunny hopping of CS, which is one of the reasons I went to RO in the first place.

And as I said, not just a clown car issue, 251 also dumps troops on top of target with much less risk than there should be (****s for rifle to get enemy SMGers just teleporting out on you), it also 'steals' (as you hear on comms) another tank kill when you can instant bail from a tank before the next shell comes. Instead of backing up or using MG, you bail from the tank and pistol the Pfaust or ATR guy before he can switch weapons and so on (2nd after the clown car for gamey gameplay).

But the person surfing on the clown car takes the cake. Pity as I love combined arms and the omg omg omg sprints to cover as MG follows you :p. Lucky I guess there are combined arms maps (and that's not tanks with a few inf, but inf with a few tanks) but with no clown cars. Guess I'll have to stick to those.

End rant :rolleyes:

T.

A "fix" is fixing something broken that doesnt work the way it should...the instant eject thing is how its supposed to be, it was programmed that way...there is nothing to fix, its working as Devs intended.

Hence it never got fixed because thats the way its supposed to be :)

However personally i would like to see it changed to something else one day thats less "instant" though, delay and anims etc...all the good things that people have discussed to death and have on wishlists talking about position switching and entering/exiting, both of those are something i would love to see one day, even if it has to wait till a new engine.

Upvote 0
Yeh discussed to death...

We aint gonna see it with the current engine, but with UE3 the possibilities are endless!!

There are much easier things to implement that SHOULD be in this version, so adding exit animations should take a back seat. Even if they added a small delay when exiting, youre still gonna be taken by surprise whenever the guy 'eventually' teleports out!

And adding delays between seat changing would add more horrible annoyance to the game!

Upvote 0
Ouch, not what I wanted to hear but thanks for the info. Sad as I'd love a realistic disembark from a stopped (or at least slow) AC out the back (which might be better than the side teleport in some cases) and have the MG support the assault like it should. That and of course removing the gameyness of the other stuff mentioned. Sweet slow paced running, fatigue, concussion, iron sites ONLY, weapon bracing and teleporting AC troopers. Hey wait... Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo :p

Cheers,
T.

Upvote 0
I don't mind the teleport, but I really hate that clowncars are racing towards me and jump out with 200mph to give me some democharges. It just ruines gameplay. This game is supposed to be more slowly gameplay and should add more tactics instead of CS style.

This way the BA67? is in none of the maps, it ruins it all, while it is a pretty fun vehicle for recognisance.

Upvote 0
I always thought that was a feature satane.

Sorry to dissapoint you but it is a bug, while back someone from tripwire confirmed this on irc, plus this bug was originally related to cap meter not showing cap properly while being in driver seat.

And while we are on topic, another interesting bug is the fact that if you shoot someone with tank gun but switch to driver seat or mg before your shell round hits a target, if the target is killed, it will show target being killed by non exisiting player thus you never getting kill. Same happens if you killed before round reaches target.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
We aint gonna see it with the current engine, but with UE3 the possibilities are endless!!

Perhaps it is quite doable in the current engine after all?

You can see 'nice and slow' embark/disembark animation from a Humvee and even the laborious change of places inside it in - dare I mention - v2.8 of a game which is free courtesy of the US Army and also uses this engine?

Upvote 0
Off-course its do-able. But its painstaking and time consuming work.

Better spent in other areas me thinks!

Well that's where personal tastes come in. For me spending time adding the animation is a good thing for me as I find that the most visually gamey and distracting thing in the game. Teleporting crew, clown car donuts, eject and satchel etc.

Also along with it you could now have some entertainment (if nasty) value, with the crew in the process of abandoning the tank when blows now getting blown out or rag doll out of the tank hatches. You already have that with arty and nades so it matches other RO animiation :p So it's not just a fix.

T.

Upvote 0
Tactics meaning.... get killed instead of hopping out and perhaps going to hop in and help crew another tank....?

If the game allows it, do it.
What..on maps like Orel or Black Day July when the nearest tank would be a few kilometers away? And yes I see it happen on those maps, people would bail out and they find themselves having a long walk back. :)

Anyway I wasn't being all tight arsed about that in my first post, just didn't use the emoticons as I was half anoyed and half amused by this tactic.

Upvote 0
What..on maps like Orel or Black Day July when the nearest tank would be a few kilometers away? And yes I see it happen on those maps, people would bail out and they find themselves having a long walk back. :)

Anyway I wasn't being all tight arsed about that in my first post, just didn't use the emoticons as I was half anoyed and half amused by this tactic.
~

suicide

Upvote 0
Because RO is a game already, it is way too gamey than some people expect.

Admit it. No matter how much they would do this and that RO will always be more or less gamey.

But I agree that there should be some sort of delay. But they should really concentrate 'fixing' or updating F.E. the entire armour system before starking to do some small stuff.

Upvote 0