• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

So, about Battlefield Commissions.

Unorthadox

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
So far, I have a very negative opinion on Battlefield Commissions. It looks like one of those features that looked good on paper, but not when actually applied. Plus, it appears that there is (hopefully) a bug where any random person can get it, and not people who are doing well.

Story time! I was playing Fallen Fighters on Territory today, and managed to get ahold of the scoped Mosin. Obviously I'm thrilled, so I run up to the top floor of the Technical School and start picking off MGs, deployed Rifles, etc, and I was doing pretty well at it with 22 kills (Most kills on my team as infantry and third or fourth on the list) at about two minutes before the round ended. The last two minutes is where I nerd raged. I come to find out that some one got a Battlefield Commission and took my slot.

I personally think that this is completely unfair and should be changed in some way. Why should I be punished even though I'm doing my job and doing it decently?

Reactions: Vintage
I just don't like how there's so little information about what's happening when you suddenly drop back to the squad/team screen. Was I killed? Did someone get promoted? Did I get team-switched? Really it should not take another player out of the game if they're alive, except for auto-balance. To be doing fine and then get booted out of the game is a serious moment of confusion, then anger.

Upvote 0
The first time it happened to me, I figured it was working correctly. I had a really great round. Then it was like, hey, you did good and we want to give you the option to up yourself to another class. I was like, well that's cool.

But then the next time it happened to me, I was having a horrible few rounds, because of my sound cutting out in-game. (nothing like playing a deaf & numb soldier in war. Yes I could have restarted the game, but I wanted to give it several rounds to see if the sound would come back so when I report the bug I can say after X rounds it started working again). Anywho, several deaths later during the 3rd match, it had a midgame Battlefield Commission. I was like wait what? I'm doing terrible. If a death counter was shown I'd prolly have a 1:7 ratio. My team points were low (was 3rd from the bottom out of a 12 man team). I have no idea what triggered the Battlefield Commission for me. But then when I did it, it killed me on the spot, and killed the person that I kicked from that class, and then I had negative points because of it. lol oops!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yep it's a stupid feature. It should be completely reversed so that if a player is performing poorly (in one of the better classes) it should be offered to a player who is performing well.

At least then if you lose your spot you'll know why, you won't just lose your **** because some turd decided he wanted your gun. It just makes the game feel like it's all about personal glory and it certainly doesn't want to make you help your team when you lose your position.

Upvote 0
But then the next time it happened to me, I was having a horrible few rounds, because of my sound cutting out in-game. (nothing like playing a deaf & numb soldier in war. Yes I could have restarted the game, but I wanted to give it several rounds to see if the sound would come back so when I report the bug I can say after X rounds it started working again). Anywho, several deaths later during the 3rd match, it had a midgame Battlefield Commission. I was like wait what? I'm doing terrible. If a death counter was shown I'd prolly have a 1:7 ratio. My team points were low (was 3rd from the bottom out of a 12 man team). I have no idea what triggered the Battlefield Commission for me. But then when I did it, it killed me on the spot, and killed the person that I kicked from that class, and then I had negative points because of it. lol oops!

Something similar happened to me. I joined a server and the moment I chose a side I got one.

I'm really hoping it's a bug, and also kinda hoping that BCs are removed anyway.

Upvote 0
Yep it's a stupid feature. It should be completely reversed so that if a player is performing poorly (in one of the better classes) it should be offered to a player who is performing well.

At least then if you lose your spot you'll know why, you won't just lose your **** because some turd decided he wanted your gun. It just makes the game feel like it's all about personal glory and it certainly doesn't want to make you help your team when you lose your position.

This makes better sense, but I usually decline any offered, I dislike the Sniper, and only use it to countersniper, I prefer the Bolt and carbine, and work better with them, often outperforming our teams marksman who is either getting himself killed, or too safely holed up in his nest. Having it offered to be because I outperform another role and having him 'demoted' to rifle would be a nicer alternative to me deciding that 'I' do better so 'I' am going to take his place, id prefer to scavenge his rifle when I am on my second run to replenish my ammunition and keep it as a secondary.

The times that I see a good Marksman vs a garbage player using the scope as a crutch is woefully in favour of the latter, unless its me stealing all his kills. Either make it like Sheps suggested, OR have it class locked to Rifleman classes, so that only a Rifleman/Elite rifleman can be promoted to Marksman.

Upvote 0
Still think Battlefield Commissions are extremely unfair.

Just had another incident that didn't make sense. The first round of a map literally just started when some got a BC and took my Elite Rifleman away. Something is seriously wrong.

Well apparently you were not doing very well with the "better" weapon last round so another player was more deserving. :D

But seriously, from my experience so far I can easily find "better" weapons laying around 90% of the time. So I always spawn as riflemen. SMG's and Semi-auto rifles are easy to come by.

Upvote 0
Well apparently you were not doing very well with the "better" weapon last round so another player was more deserving. :D

But seriously, from my experience so far I can easily find "better" weapons laying around 90% of the time. So I always spawn as riflemen. SMG's and Semi-auto rifles are easy to come by.

^Also this, I usually go rifleman because there is no way in hell we will ever have too many of them for me to get the shaft, then scavenge an upgrade from my nest.

Upvote 0

lol

I should have worded that better. :rolleyes:

I meant that it was the first round on a new map. You're right though, you can find most of the guns laying around, but it can get annoying trying to run around to find the one you want, rather than just spawning with it.

Upvote 0
lol

I should have worded that better. :rolleyes:

I meant that it was the first round on a new map. You're right though, you can find most of the guns laying around, but it can get annoying trying to run around to find the one you want, rather than just spawning with it.

True, it "could" be annoying trying to find weapons you want. But I am completely content with whatever weapon is in my hands. It just goes to show how well realized ALL of the weapons in the Red Orchestra series are.

I mean that all of the weapons are fun to use IMO and equally deadly if employed appropriately. i.e. SMGs indoors and Rifles at range.

But I don't mind clearing a buidling with a boltie, I actually killed two guys with one shot yesterday in Apartments' propaganda house. And taking out guys through the walls that are using the new cover system trying to blindfire.

Their MP40s didnt stand a chance.:D

I also had a few really tense "Saving Private Ryan" moments too! Except of a knife it was me and the other guy trading rifle butts, but you get the idea!

Saving Private Ryan - Knife Fight High Quality - YouTube

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i dont like this when im playing Commander, someone takes it. And either dosnt ever use reinforcements in a cd, or uses both at same time. ORRRR if they never use the available forced respawn or recon orrr artillery support. Dont you think people would at least research a class b4 using it and failing the team.

Upvote 0
Wait, so you are saying someone is getting a battlefield commission midgame and taking your slot?

I have only ever been offered a battefield commission at the end of a round and then only if I was one of the higher scoring players. I have always declined because I prefer to be a rifleman.

To the best of my knowledge, its only suppossed to happen after a round ends. If it happens at other times, there might be a bug, but I'm not sure on that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0