• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Sniper...

Sniper...

• No, only for people with 5gigs of ram and a Pentium 16.

Votes: 47 56.6%
  • Yes, Make the scoped rifle spawn at each spawn point every time a person with it dies.

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Yes, Make it so when the sniper dies the slot opens up and he cannot choose it for a while

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Yes, make the Sniper class be an award for players who get a lot of kills as a rifleman.

Votes: 27 32.5%

• Total voters
No. You paid for the game just as much or little as everyone else did. As soon as we can run the game with a playable framerate on an acceptable resolution (read: As soon as we meet the real hardware requirements) it should be perfectly even. Its not.
People who paid more for their hardware get the advantage of being able to chose freely which class they want to play as while others can't.​
That's bad game design in my eyes.​

If you want to support that it means that you got good hardware yourself and you don't want to give up an advantage you don't deserve. Get over it. An even playing field is better for everyone in the end.​

Wow you sound right bitter,but lets face facts this happens on every fps,should I drop my superior framerates also so I dont have an advantage or maybe I should just play on 56k?,decent people will share the different classes for example if I'm Sniper(I'll usually take a semi automatic over it anyway) I always give it up the round after,what really irritates me are the people who whine(AKA ORGINAL POSTER) and curse because they didnt get their preferred choice,or try and bully someone off a class which is just as bad as someone hogging a class IMO.​

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm not bitter. I have 2 Gigs of Ram and I could chose whatever class I want including sniper in about 75% of the cases. I chose the rifle most of the time anyway since I prefer it. Still I would like to see the current system changed to level the playing field. I was playing with 512MBRam for years and it always bugged me that I almost never got to chose any other class than a rifle. Not so much because other classes are better but for variety's sake.
Now that I have 2 GB of Ram and a good computer to go with it that's not my personal problem anymore but its still unfair.

Call me a commie but I'd like it to be as fair as possible.

People bugging others or begging for anything are almost always an anoyance unless its done for comedic purposes, but that's not the topic of this thread.

I suggested a warm-up time because it seems like a good compromise for everyone and it wouldn't change anything about how the game is played, as opposed to various oter ideas where people get punished if they die because they have to give up their class etc.
I already played on a server that had a warm-up time and it worked great.
More servers should do that.

Upvote 0
Warmup time's fine, but you'll never COMPLETELY eliminate hardware advantages from PC gaming. Until everyone's using a standardized system, there'll always be subtle differences here or there. Hell, even bad management of equal hardware can be a factor (IE: so and so runs too many programs resident in his system memory, while such and such turns off everything but the essential stuff).

Upvote 0
You're right. Unless we all play on a console this isn't going to happen. Still, as long as you can run the game with a good framerate with a god resolution you shouldn't have any gamebreaking disadvantages.
Ten frames more or less, AA or AF one level higher or lower or a better or a worse mouse doesn't really count.
However not getting access to any but one weapon type counts. That's a major thing and should be changed. Especially since its so seemingly easy to change it.

I get the feeling that we should direct this proposal towards server admins rather than Tripwire, because warm-up times should already be possible but hardly any server uses them.

Upvote 0
Does one not deserve a scope on it's rifle?
No, says the man in the White House, it belongs to the government.
No, says the man in the Vatican, it belongs to God.
No, says the man in Moscow, it belongs to the people.
Well, i chose something different. I chose, to remove it from the game!:p

Something that most of you overhyped freaks should understand and know where it comes from lol :D

Upvote 0
I still can't believe you guys claim skill is based on hardware. Throw reaction speed, timing, and other strategy out the window, you have a core trio and SLI video card you can play while drunk and still own! I really think you guys are just whining because you don't want to lose first dibs on the sniper. Until you can prove to me that someone with a steady 50-60 fps and most of their settings on low can't out beat anyone with a higher end computer all your argument amounts to is crap.

Upvote 0
I still can't believe you guys claim skill is based on hardware. Throw reaction speed, timing, and other strategy out the window, you have a core trio and SLI video card you can play while drunk and still own! I really think you guys are just whining because you don't want to lose first dibs on the sniper. Until you can prove to me that someone with a steady 50-60 fps and most of their settings on low can't out beat anyone with a higher end computer all your argument amounts to is crap.

Um...what are you talking about?

Skill isn't based on hardware. Performance is. Skill is your own inherent ability to perform regardless of the hardware. You may be improved or handicapped by the hardware, but your skill level remains the same. Of course hardware factors into it. If someone's getting better FPS than I am (after a certain point, anyway), they'll be able to draw a bead on me faster. That's life in the cold hard world of PC gaming. But hey, there's always the console market.

And as much as you can say "You're all just whining because you want dibs" anyone here could EASILY turn that around to say "You're just whining because you CAN'T get dibs."

Give it a rest, man, and tone down the vitriol already.

It doesn't really matter one way or the other. The system isn't going to change in any dramatic fashion. Your best hope is delayed starts which include class selection. I doubt that'd solve the problem, though, because then it's just whoever is fastest to click "sniper" wins. Or someone would develope some console command which, with the press of a button, gets it, and we're right back where we started: with you (or whoever) without the sniper rifle. So, I wouldn't hold my breath on any changes.

Upvote 0
No. You paid for the game just as much or little as everyone else did. As soon as we can run the game with a playable framerate on an acceptable resolution (read: As soon as we meet the real hardware requirements) it should be perfectly even. Its not.
People who paid more for their hardware get the advantage of being able to chose freely which class they want to play as while others can't.
That's bad game design in my eyes.

If you want to support that it means that you got good hardware yourself and you don't want to give up an advantage you don't deserve. Get over it. An even playing field is better for everyone in the end.

Only way to make the playing field truly even is to go the way of COD2: make all classes unlimited. Make it so everyone can have a sniper rifle.

In fact, it sounds like COD2 might be a better fit for you, as a gamer. You should go check it out.

Upvote 0
Only way to make the playing field truly even is to go the way of COD2: make all classes unlimited. Make it so everyone can have a sniper rifle.

In fact, it sounds like COD2 might be a better fit for you, as a gamer. You should go check it out.
RO suits me fine and I said about a million times now, I don't have a problem with the limited classes.
I just want the game to be fair and I don't understand how someone could be so bent against that unless he doesn't want to give up an advantage he currently enjoys although he doesn't deserve it.

Also, I already posted a suggestion that would make the playing fiel truly even (in RO): A warm-up time.

No reason to go "g0 pl4y teh CoD or C0un7ers7ryke" on me. Because I doubt you ere serious with that suggestion. If you were, I appologize. I tried CoD2 and its great Lan-material but nothing I would want to play online.

Or go to that 24/7 sniper server if he wants that silly scope so much.
See, the point isn't to have the silly scope as you call it, but to play limited classes. Also, most people I know want the sniper not for the snipers sake because they could play practise mode then. They want to use it against other players, e.g. regular riflemen, MGers etc.

I'm sure we would have the same complaining threads just reversed if the sniper was unlimited and the rifle was not. People want variety. They want to play every class and its frustrating to be stuck with one just because you "only" meet the recommended hardware requirements for the game.

Try to image what UT or Quake would be like if you weren't allowed to pick up the Rocket Launcher just because you only have 512 MBRam. Of course there are enough selfproclaimed pros out there who could tell you that other weapons are better and that the Rocket Launcher is overrated anyway, but that's not the point. The point is that the game is unfair in that regard, and that has to change.

Upvote 0
RO suits me fine and I said about a million times now, I don't have a problem with the limited classes.
I just want the game to be fair and I don't understand how someone could be so bent against that unless he doesn't want to give up an advantage he currently enjoys although he doesn't deserve it.

Also, I already posted a suggestion that would make the playing fiel truly even (in RO): A warm-up time.

No reason to go "g0 pl4y teh CoD or C0un7ers7ryke" on me. Because I doubt you ere serious with that suggestion. If you were, I appologize. I tried CoD2 and its great Lan-material but nothing I would want to play online.

Yeah, maybe I was being a little facetious there. But only a little.

One of the problems with the sniper is that people with low-end systems will almost ALWAYS suck with it. I'm sure that everyone has noticed that you can more reliably get kills with a higher-end system, because you get more FPS. When you have low FPS, it's a LOT harder to get long-range kills with any weapon of any sort. I get this all the time with the PTRD - bullets disappearing at long range, that sort of thing, when my FPS dips down into the 30's and 40's. When it's up higher, it's not a problem.

When you've got 80-85 FPS - and the system to get 80-85 FPS - this very rarely happens.

With COD2, and the method it uses to calculate hits / misses / kills, this is not a problem, because it just draws a straight frakkin' laser beam and gives you an insta-kill.

So, yeah, I see no reason to even out the playing field on this one, and give someone a tool that they cannot even use properly.

Upvote 0
I thought all those guys behind me were some kind of fanclub :(
LOL! No they're just awaiting your death, sorry. lol. Actually I don't know why I stated that I follow the sniper around because I don't (when I first played RO I did a couple times maybe). Basically what I do if I feel like sniping is I note the name of our (or the enemys) sniper is. Then I get a general sense of where he might be on the map if not an exact location (watch death/kill messages). Then when I see his name go down/AKA "die" I'll move to the location and try and snag the rifle. It's not that hard if you pay attention to what's going on in the battlefield.

Upvote 0
The game might be better if it even were insta kills.:p

I see where you are coming from Peter.Steele. Those are other shortcomings that have to be fixed if they exist like you describe them.
They shouldn't be a reasonable explanation as to why someone doesn't get the class he wants. Its not like he can't fight at all if some long range shots dissapear on rare occasions.
A good computer doesn't necessarily mean the player is playing better. I was first on the scoreboard on a lot of servers with my old computer and I didn't get more than 30 frames there (more like 15, most of the time). Getting the classes shouldn't be dependant on skill anyway, be it one's own skill or whats left of it when the frames drop. We don't want it to be as in Americas Army. Various other polls and discussions have shown that already.

Upvote 0
Ok here's the scheme I came up with:

#1 eliminate the sniper class
#2 have 1 sniper rifle that spawns in the level in random locations so if you really want it you have to find it first. Also it would never disappear when dropped. It would always remain for the duration of the level no matter how long it's been laying on the ground.
#3 If you are killed by an enemy you will drop the rifle and it will be free for anybody to pick up.
#4 If someone teamkills you for your rifle you will not drop the rifle but will respawn with it.

I think it's an airtight scheme that would prevent "sniper hogs" and reward good snipers and penalize poor snipers (you die by the enemy you lose your rifle and someone else gets a chance with it). And of course it would eliminate the existence of people TKing you for it.

Now the only problem is if this is even possible to do and only a code guru would know that.

Upvote 0