• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Sniper rifle scope and sights adjustment

I'll post what I interpreted out of your post for reference:

1) scope adjustment is exaggurated, as when you're adjusting your scope in meatspace, the line doesn't move relative to your vision in the scope.

-->Function over form on this one, so that when you adjust your scope you can visually see that you have adjusted it. This is more important on :IS2: mode (or whatever we're calling the 'realism' mode) where you won't be able to see the distance you have set it to.

on a side note, I saw him in the videos adjusting the scope in increments of 100m, wouldn't that move the line a fair distance anyway?

Upvote 0
Good Post!

First off i just want to say i like the idea for destructible optics. There where quite a few cases were a close arty/mortar blast snapped the cross-hairs inside of a scope, happened to Matthaus Hetzenauer twice.

Anyway moving on to you idea about the customization of cross-hairs. I'm sorry to say that changing cross-hairs one's self is a very very tough process, even for a gunsmith is it still a lengthy process involving special tools(tools which except for a professional gunsmith never leave the factory) and you quite often end up doing more bad than good and even risk throwing off your height alignment. scopes are pretty durable right up until you start working inside them. In the war most of the time they would throw the scope out or convert it into a sort of one-eyed binocular and wait for a new scope to arrive.
As far as i know the ZF series of scopes only came in one reticule. Both the ZF39(RO1) and the ZF42(RO2) had the same cross-hairs.

Next, about the animation you must remember that a experienced marksman can bolt without taking his face away from the scope(assuming the rifle is rested). The action is very easy for me in real life and I'm not an trained sniper.

-Colton Berg

Upvote 0
on a side note, I saw him in the videos adjusting the scope in increments of 100m, wouldn't that move the line a fair distance anyway?

A projectile has a parabolic ballistic curve, that differs from many factors, the important ones are projectile weight and form, munition type and barrel lenght. The projectile falls on its flight not constantly. For example (Fall in cm after distance put back): 100 m - 3 cm; 200 m - 8 cm; 300 m - 15 cm; 400 m 31cm and so on.
That means if there are constant meter increments, then the visual diffence must vary, or the visual difference is the same but there are not constant meter increments. (2. case is the realistic one)

[QUOTE=B

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i really wish someone would hear this gentleman out.

i am personally shocked by the optics adjustment as previewed.

apart from that, the adjustment for the open sights look weird too.
if i didn't recall wrongly, it's as if the rifle is being tilted upwards to compensate for the range.

Upvote 0
I really liked the idea that you would be able o damage or destroy weapons. For example if a player dies of a nade under his feet or a nade about 1 meter from him and then another player comes and picks up his gun and then it might not have a straight barrel or other vital parts and visual parts might be suverally damaged by the explosion.

Upvote 0
I'd like the crosshairs on the German scopes ingame to be either the Absehen #4 or #8, just to introduce abit of realistic diversity, otherwise the German & Russian reticle patterns will look the same.

The most common reticle patterns used by the Germans were the Absehen #1, #4 & #8. And together the #4 & #8 were actually the more common in 6x scopes, and about as common as the #1 in 4x scopes, with the exception of the ZF4 which used a custom Absehen #1 exclusively.

Absehen #3, #5 & #6 were used on commercial scopes only during WW2, whilst Absehen #2 was a popular reticle during WW1, whilst the Brits kept on using it in their scopes through WW2 and into the 50's.

Last edited:
Reactions: u-s-e-r
Upvote 0
One thing I'd like to see is a proper model of a projectiles flight-path when adjusted to range.

If for instance your rifle is set to 400m, that means that you'll have a slight ballistic curve, undershooting and then overshooting targets at very close range.

17x30traj.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
One thing I'd like to see is a proper model of a projectiles flight-path when adjusted to range.

If for instance your rifle is set to 400m, that means that you'll have a slight ballistic curve, undershooting and then overshooting targets at very close range.

Isn't this already the case in Ostfront? How would the ballistics curve look otherwise?

EDIT: Or does the round eject from the sight in Ostfront?

Upvote 0
I agree that the crosshair #4 looks best, and would be better suited for accurate shots.

crosshairger.jpg

Not really, all the crosshairs are good for accurate shots, I'd just like to see them added for historical reasons. Personally I'd prefer the #4 too (same as on my hunting scope infact), but the #8 fine as-well. The #1 is great for accurate shots as-well, but seeing as the Soviets will be using it as-well, and knowing that the Germans used a lot of different reticles, I'd prefer to see the second most common Absehen #4 or #8 ingame.

Reactions: u-s-e-r
Upvote 0
Im not sure if this is what you meant by your post, but yes the russian scope reticle does indeed move when the scope range is adjusted, and yes it does move in the videos as it does on the real deal which I happen to have fired. (Relative owns that one, yes I jelly);)

Secondly, again Im not sure if this is the intended meaning. A weapons sights are distributed into two sets the back and front, when properly looking through these ( as in you have them leveled out and the front post is in its place ), it does not matter how close you stick your face, or how far you pull it back, the round goes to the same place. Now if you twist the rifle thats a different story...
(placement of eye does matter with a scope)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I wanted to address this on the Soviet scopes,I have a mosin PU sniper rifle and a couple PU scopes,and when the scope is adjusted for 100 yards the reticle is moved to the very top of the scope like this (forgive my poor drawing)
scope.jpg

are we going to see this in game?

Are those scopes original Chekov ? And/or have they been refurbished ?

It seems extremely impractical to have the peek of the post up that high for 100 meter shots, esp. considering that most shots were taken at ranges of no more than 300 meters, which normally was the std. range to zero in the rifle at. And if the peek starts out that high up when zeroed for 100 m then it will still be very high up for 300 m shots, annoyingly high.

So I'm thinking that either the scope(s) aren't original (repros) or they've been refurbished at some point and not properly calibrated once put back together.

I have seen my share of PU scopes, and zeroed in at 100 meters they were never that high up.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi Unus Offa, Unus Nex,I had a look through the scope and i can see i drew the reticle in the scope too high up :eek: Here is my scope when dialed for 100 yards,still a bit above center level. This is an original scope that missed the refurbishment process,one of the rifles from rguns.net i just got.

rguns.jpg

Is this like the PU scopes you have seen?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Here's trough my old 42 beater PU scope,original ww2 config. adjusted at 100 yards,was told it was found in a barn in Latvia,but i bought the scope not the story. optics are cloudy
puspc1.jpg

puscpe.jpg

I fired the previous rifle at 100 yards and it hit accurate,took some getting used too with the reticle that high though

Last edited:
Upvote 0