• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Sniper Decoy!

luciferintears

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
I have an interesting idea (at least i think so)...

what if the sniper gets an unlock that replaces his sidearm with a decoy!

Bassically its a selectable wooden stick in your inventory, and when you use it, it props it down and puts your helmet on the end of it; it would be at around where your head would be if you were crouching.

It would have a little mirror on it to attract attention, and you could use it to bait snipers...

If someone shoots at the decoy, you get a few points, and they lose a few for being such idiots.

what do you think lol?

I have an interesting idea (at least i think so)...

what if the sniper gets an unlock that replaces his sidearm with a decoy!

Bassically its a selectable wooden stick in your inventory, and when you use it, it props it down and puts your helmet on the end of it; it would be at around where your head would be if you were crouching.

It would have a little mirror on it to attract attention, and you could use it to bait snipers...

If someone shoots at the decoy, you get a few points, and they lose a few for being such idiots.

what do you think lol?

It's not a sniper it's a marksman. They are intended to provide accurate fire support to take out MG nests and other key targets in battle.

Snipers are a single (or team of two) people/person who operate independently of anybody else, and stalk and ambush key individuals or targets outside of battle without aid of infantry or vehicles.

I dont see why a decoy would be needed as the role of the marksman is not to plat games and tricks with other marksmen, his role is to support his team.

Upvote 0
It's not a sniper it's a marksman. They are intended to provide accurate fire support to take out MG nests and other key targets in battle.

Snipers are a single (or team of two) people/person who operate independently of anybody else, and stalk and ambush key individuals or targets outside of battle without aid of infantry or vehicles.

I dont see why a decoy would be needed as the role of the marksman is not to plat games and tricks with other marksmen, his role is to support his team.

They were practically the same thing back then. There were no "real" snipers/marksmen just guys with a scope on their rifle.

Occasionally they would get a task to linger behind the unit or move ahead to deter enemy forces, and sometimes they would fight alongside the rest of the platoon.

But i understand what you mean; it would be fun in sniper only matches...

Upvote 0

Vasily never had any formal marksmanship training. He was just a damn good shot.

I think the kid has a point. Sniper schools weren't formed until after WWII. Marksmen were awarded their scopes when they proved proficient with the rifles, at least in the Russian army, methinks. Not sure about the Germans. I know the Americans selected marksmen during basic training, but the Soviets didn't have that luxury...

Upvote 0
Vasily never had any formal marksmanship training. He was just a damn good shot.

I think the kid has a point. Sniper schools weren't formed until after WWII. Marksmen were awarded their scopes when they proved proficient with the rifles, at least in the Russian army, methinks. Not sure about the Germans. I know the Americans selected marksmen during basic training, but the Soviets didn't have that luxury...

yes that is what i meant.

thank you :)

Upvote 0
well...german army did have a sniperschool
and there was a differece between marksman and sniper

snipers are the loners hiding somewhere and waiting for a good shot

the marksmen were normal soldiers with a rifle equipped with a scope
on paper every squad should get at least one scope, fallschirmj

Upvote 0
We already went through this suggestion months ago. RO gameplay is too quick to add in this kind of feature and it's a waste of time the dev's could be making other things more important.

There were platoon marksmen who were the best shots and were just issued a smaller scope (ZF, for example) to pick off enemies such as enemy MG placements, AT crewmen, officers, etc.

Then there were snipers trained in schools and sent to companies with higher powered scopes and practically do the same job as marksmen, but they worked more-or-less on their own.

As for the Russians, riflemen who showed skill in combat were tested and then given a scope. There were more emphasis on snipers in the Red Army than the Wehrmacht during that time-period. There were also women in the service who were allowed to become snipers.

Upvote 0
It's not a sniper it's a marksman.
They are intended to provide accurate fire support to take out MG nests and other key targets in battle.

Sorry Hypno, but you are plain wrong.

Wilsonam himself said in a post some time ago that there are SNIPERS in the game.
They will be deployed in a different area of the map away from the other normal rifleman/smg soldiers.
And they will act just as snipers did in stalingrad - do their job on their own.

So if TWI had not changed their mind snipers are ingame.

Upvote 0