• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Sneak Peak: RO-Altdamm

Shurek

Grizzled Veteran
May 21, 2006
www.darkesthourgame.com
RED ORCHESTRA: OSTFRONT 1941-1945

WIP: RO – ALTDAMM: Pomerania 19 March, 1945

PRESENTED BY: SHUREK* (see “Special Thanks” and a Request at the bottom)

Description: Rokossovky’s 2nd Byelorussian Front started its offensive in Pomerania on 1 March, 1945. In a desperate fighting withdrawal, the depleted III SS Panzerkorps inflicted heavy casualties on the Soviets, but by March 4, the division was falling back to Altdamm, near the port of Stettin, which was the last defensive position east of the Oder itself. During the next two weeks, Nordland grimly held to the town, inflicting and suffering high casualties. On the 19th, the battered defenders fell back behind the Oder, the Norge regiment and others had fought virtually to extinction.

Screenies (so far):

Two films which inspired this map:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6JZazYsBdo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFmvyZUky7w

Size: 25 MB and growing
Recommended Players: 28-32
Type: Large Combined Arms
Level Terrain Size: 114,000 uu X 114,000 uu (Medium-Large)
Round Duration: 45 minutes to 1 hour
Bot/AI Support: Coming Soon
Number of Objectives: 5 Non-Recapturable Objectives, 6 Destroyable Objectives (see below for descriptions)

AXIS:

Unit Name: III.SS-Panzergrenadier Regiment 23 Norge
Reinforcement Level: 450

Axis Unit Loadout (16 spots)

1 Squad Leader
Binoculars
MP40/G43
Walther P38
Smoke (2)
No MG ammo

1 Tank Commander
Binoculars
MP40/MP41
Walther P38
Smoke (1)
No MG Ammo

3 Tankers
Walther P38
Fragment (2)
Carries MG Ammo

2 Anti-Tank
Panzerfaust (3)
Kar98
Fragment (1)
Carries MG Ammo

2 Gunners
Binoculars
MG34/MG42 Walther P38
Fragment (1)
No MG Ammo

2 Assault Troopers
StG44
Fragment (2)
Carries MG Ammo

0 Combat Engineers

1 Sniper
Kar98 scoped
Walther P38
Fragment (1)
No MG Ammo

4+ Riflemen
None
Kar98
None
Fragment (3)
Carries MG Ammo

Axis Vehicle Loadout:

1 StuG III (#1 and #5 Objective only)
2 Panzer IV – H (#1 Objective only)
2 Panzer V – Panther (#2,#3,#4 Objective only)
1 Panzer VI – Tiger I (#2 and #3 Objective only)
2 Sdfw 251 Halftracks (#4 Objective only)

ALLIES:

Unit Name: 85th Motorized Rifle Brigade of the 2nd Shock Army
Reinforcement Level: 650

Allied Unit Loadout (16 spots):

1 Squad Leader
Binoculars
PPSH41/PPS43
Tokarev TT33
Smoke (2)
No MG Ammo

1 Tank Commander
Binoculars
PPSH41/PPS43
Tokarev TT33
Smoke (1)
No MG Ammo

4 Tankers
Tokarev TT33
Fragment (2)
Carries MG Ammo

1 Anti-Tank
Panzerfaust (3)
PPS43/M44
Fragment (1)
Carries MG Ammo

1 Gunner
Binoculars
DP28
Tokarev TT33
Fragment (1)
No MG Ammo

0 Assault Troopers

2 Combat Engineers
Satchel Charge (2)
PPS43/M44
Carries MG Ammo

1 Sniper
MN9130 scoped
Tokarev TT33
Fragment (1)
No MG Ammor

5+ Riflemen
MN9130/M44
Fragment (3)
Carries MG Ammo

Allied Vehicle Loadout:

1 SU-76 Assault Gun (all Objectives)
3 T-34/85 (all Objectives)
1 IS – 2 (all Objectives)
2 Universal Carriers (#4 Objective only)

OBJECTIVES:

Attachments

• arty1.jpg
    arty1.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 1
  • kubel1.jpg
    kubel1.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Sander: Help yourself to the scenario. I've ripped it off from real history anway :D

Dheepan: I'm trying to create battles within the battle, if you know what I mean. Except where noted, the infantries will spawn near each other, to avoid long walks, and for close-combat action. The tanks will spawn and battle each other on the fringes. I'm working to enclose the infantry combat areas in a strategic manner such that the two types of combat won't mix very often (except as noted).

Upvote 0
I'm also searching for that book, the book where my info is from is 'From Leningrad to Berlin, Dutch volunteers in the Waffen SS'. I will put the things from that book here tomorrow.

http://www.amazon.com/Leningrad-Ber...6985459?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1172966668&sr=1-2

I've uploaded the photo's about the Dutch soldiers from Nederland and Nordland, they are all taken in and around Stettin/Altdamm

2vtqxic.jpg

Upvote 0
Sander: Thanks a ton for the photos!!! I was trying to decide whether or not to use snow on the ground because the films show the late Winter mud and muck,and not so much snow. Right now the map has a muddy grass texture.

What do you think? :confused:

EDIT: Dheepan - if we can only get those After Hourz guys to work faster on the PaK 40 gun, then I would be a very happy camper :eek:

EDIT #2: Also, didn't the III Panzer Korps have Tiger II's. I know...don't start that debate again, huh?:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sander: Thanks a ton for the photos!!! I was trying to decide whether or not to use snow on the ground because the films show the late Winter mud and muck,and not so much snow. Right now the map has a muddy grass texture.

What do you think? :confused:
That picture with the sled (?) is taken before these actions at the bridge. It was in Stettin but they were still attacking Reetz and Arnswalde. After those battle's they had to draw back to Stettin. So the map must be covered mostly with mud because most of the snow has gone but on some parts there still must be some snow.

EDIT #2: Also, didn't the III Panzer Korps have Tiger II's. I know...don't start that debate again, huh?:rolleyes:
Yes, they had the schwere SS Panzer abteilung 503 (also mentioned as 103) attached. Though I don't know if those were used in Stettin, the korps was spread out in many parts. What I know is that some of those Tiger I (or II's) were used in Berlin.

The fighting force at Altdamm wasn't just the Norge regiment. At those last days the whole III (germ.) Panzer Korps was split up. I'll make a quote of my book to make things clear:

"The III. (Germ) Pz. Korps -the documents are saying that that korps had his name changed in the SS-korps Oder- had withdrawn to the Bridgehead of Altdamm on 7th and 8th March 1945. It was a mix of the artillery and panzergrenadiers from the 23.SS panzergrenadier division 'Nederland', a kriegsmarine company and parts of the 11.SS Panzergrenadier division 'Nordland'".

The "parts of 'Nordland' are the regiments 'Norge' and 'Danmark', and I thing parts of the Hermann von Salsa panzer abteilung.

EDIT: for the "German" tanks I found this:

Heeresgruppe Weichsel report (7 April 1945):
SS-Pz.Abt.11:
Sturmgesch

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Good point. I don't think there will be a problem with that on this map. There are a lot of heavy tree stands on ridges and underbrush in the fields and canals, not to mention both farm and town fence lines. Although, the Russians have a more devastating vehicle loadout, it's going to be a slug-fest for them with all of the nooks and crannies that the German tank hunters and StuG's can hide in. It will be interesting to see how people deploy the Pathers though. In a stand up fight, they can take on the 85' and the IS-2, but not at the same time:D

I'm thinking of changing the German loadout to this:

2 Panther
4 StuG III's

Where's the StuG III- Ausf G when you need it? They're all over in those two films I posted up top.

Last edited:
Upvote 0