• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Sneak Peak: RO-Altdamm

EDIT: Dheepan - if we can only get those After Hourz guys to work faster on the PaK 40 gun, then I would be a very happy camper :eek:

You don't need no stinkin' pak40...you need a .....

PM me about your release time table and we'll talk about what we can/can't do by when. The pak40 shouldn't be too much trouble but we are working another 'pak' at the moment. Better yet would be to animate those flak88s.

WE NEED PAK40/43/flak88 OPTICS. ANYONE WITH RESOURCES, PLEASE CONTACT ME. The sooner we get them, the sooner you get them.

Upvote 0
WE NEED PAK40/43/flak88 OPTICS. ANYONE WITH RESOURCES, PLEASE CONTACT ME. The sooner we get them, the sooner you get them.

Slyk,

Look here...especially page 6 for the 88 flak sight. The 88 also used the Rudblinkfernrohr optics - page 2. Unfortunately, no photos of reticles except for the MG42. The guy posted the sights for PAK guns and the 8 cm mortar too!!!!

http://news.webshots.com/album/128362688VgwwGZ?start=0

And US War Department specs on the 88, including sights.

http://www.lonesentry.com/articles/ttt/german-88mm-gun.html

I'm also going to try to model the anti-ballistic shield soon.

http://misc.kitreview.com/armourreviews/images/afvclubflak18reviewcs_1.jpg

I'll PM you about the timeline for Altdamm, a little later today.

Thanks for your help!!!!!! :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
EH,

I admit the map itself has been somewhat in a holding pattern for the last couple of weeks so that I could get the German mortars and 88's working. I've managed to create a deadly effect in certain specified zones, but the visual properties (impact, smoke, etc) are not showing up in online play correctly. I'm trying to fix this so I can get going on the level again. In addition, I would like to explore the possibility of Katyusha rockets for the Soviet side instead of artillery - basically modding the artillery to have a different launch and incoming sound with rocket trails in the sky. Just a thought...and just one more thing that's holding up release.

To answer your question directly, I would characterize the map as still in an advanced Alpha stage. Terrain and main landmarks like roads, tree stands, fences, smaller buildings, and objective/spawn points are in place. There is a lot of the desired detail missing though: most of Altdamm itself, interior decorations, etc. Over 50% of what I am doing is custom, and not taken from stock materials. I'm using real terrain features as an overlay in my design, such as canals, ditches, hills, areas that are light and heavily forested, etc. It's taking me a lot of time as you can imagine.

Bottom line is that I would like to take my time and do this right. I got an itchy trigger finger with my Voronezh map and released it as a preview version too early and then never went back to it :( I want to do this one right! Believe me, it will be worth the wait. I'm able to work on it about 2 hours a night between work and family stuff. I'm sure you understand.

I would like to release a playable Beta sometime towards the end of this month (March). I may let selected people take a look at the final Alpha to test the mortar or try to work with the Flak 88. I think the AHZ guys would like to explore this further and I'm willing to help out or lend my map as a test bed. Whatever is needed to better the community.

I hope everyone enjoys playing this when it's finally done as much as I've had making it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I see you and I have a lot in common ;)

But absolutely, I feel that taking ones time is the best route to take in matters like these. I for instance have been at work (albeit irregularly due to various other issues) for some six months now. Quality maps take a good deal of time to put together, and looking at the scope your project it must be time consuming.

Upvote 0
Ok, since this map is taking me so long to finish in its totality, I've decided to take another approach in releasing it. This is what I am going to do.

Instead of releasing the whole thing in a half-assed manner at the end of this month which is what I promised, what I'm going to do instead is put out each objective (which usually comprises several secondary objectives) as mini-levels. In an episodic manner, if you will. Eventually all 5 objectives will make up a map pack named "Battle at Altdamm".

First episode will be "Mortar Hunt"

Good idea or no?

Upvote 0