• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

SMGs too powerfull at range?

This is getting dragged it all out of context again.

I did not say I want RO2 to be RO1, I simply would like to simulate certain parts of it.

You keep hammering on RO1 (which by now I regret I ever mentioned), while I just meant to say that it would be to have sway adjustable. The thread title is 'sway' after all. Not once did I mention I want pixelhunting.

But anyway, as you say, we both can only do what we can, and hope that what we like, is in the game.

The pixel hunting comment isn't aimed at you. It's just one glaring flaw that kept me from taking RO, and subsequent mods, seriously.

Your want to simulate certain aspects of RO1 is what I'm in staunch opposition of. Add a more frantic breathing pace while fatigued? Sure! One problem though, even when out of breath a trained solider can stabilize his breath. I don't say this because I figure, I say this because I know. I'm a trained Marine who can do this easily. I can run 100yrds, drop down to a knee, and within 1 second have stabilized my breathing pattern. Give me 3 seconds and I will be well into a casual breathing pattern and falling directly into my training (squeeze between breathes). This is all while wearing a plate carrier, Kevlar, utilities, boots, Blackhawks, and etc. I find it hard to believe a trained solider of that era, with the fraction of the weight I carry, struggles to control his breathing.

So when I see that request I think, "Why are we going backwards? Why are we trying to make RO2 more arcade like at a mechanic level?"

-Paas

Upvote 0
The pixel hunting comment isn't aimed at you. It's just one glaring flaw that kept me from taking RO, and subsequent mods, seriously.

Your want to simulate certain aspects of RO1 is what I'm in staunch opposition of. Add a more frantic breathing pace while fatigued? Sure! One problem though, even when out of breath a trained solider can stabilize his breath. I don't say this because I figure, I say this because I know. I'm a trained Marine who can do this easily. I can run 100yrds, drop down to a knee, and within 1 second have stabilized my breathing pattern. Give me 3 seconds and I will be well into a casual breathing pattern and falling directly into my training (squeeze between breathes). This is all while wearing a plate carrier, Kevlar, utilities, boots, Blackhawks, and etc. I find it hard to believe a trained solider of that era, with the fraction of the weight I carry, struggles to control his breathing.

So when I see that request I think, "Why are we going backwards? Why are we trying to make RO2 more arcade like at a mechanic level?"

-Paas

I do not doubt that you can

I'm no marine, but I'm pretty sure that the avarage Russian or German fellows fighting in Stalingrad weren't marines either

Upvote 0
The winter map, not Apartments. There is no way a smg should beat my rifle from one side the map to the other.

If his rounds hit you first, he wins. It's not completely outside of his engagement range. Matter of fact, given a full mag he has a decent probably to strike you. If your skull and weapon are the only things exposed... well, you can kind of guess what happens next.

Just bad luck, but not impossible.

-Paas

Reactions: breadtruck
Upvote 0
Rifles have a clear advantage. Providing the person shooting is on target, there is no chance to fight back. A rifle round at pretty much any range is going to put your face in the dirt. An MP40 firing at you from a 100m+ range is likely to not hit you first shot, and then likely to not kill you first hit - so you have a chance to get behind cover, injured or not.

If you stand there in a window with a rifle shooting back at someone with an SMG you are just waiting to get shot. Only 10% of there bullets from a magazine need to be target to kill you.

And god, i hate games where the weapons are perfectly balanced. It's boring, there is no point in other weapons if they are all balanced to be the same.

Upvote 0
For an MP40 or PPSH in real life, the bullets will go in the direction that the gun is pointing quite accurately out to the 150 meter mark, although bullet drop will be substantial at that range and beyond, and any crosswind will have a big impact.

So I definitely don't see the SMGs as too accurate or powerful in the game atm.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't think they are too powerful. Fallen Fighters is probably a medium sized map compared to what is coming from TWI and what will be coming from modders, and most people are taking bolts as SMGs are very hard to be successful with.

On the old FF, SMG's were actually probably more useful.

I had a lot of worries about weapons and handling when I first started playing the game compared to RO, but I'm really starting to appreciate the increased realism they've implimented into the game in that regard. It hasn't made things easier, it has just made combat ranges more accurate as compared to RO.

As an aside, I have an Israeli UZI SMG and have shot several other SMGs. It is very easy to shoot them accurately and rapidly at sub 100 meter ranges, even easier than assault rifles and certainly semi auto battle rifles.

Last edited:
Upvote 0