• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Small Weapon Detail Variations

Redit

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 7, 2010
Airstrip 1
My suggestion is basically that there are certain variations of each other that are randomized on spawn, I got this idea while watching a segment of gameplay footage of the unscoped K98, I also noticed this in Ost however, the Kar98 always has the front sight cover.

Iirc the cover was removable and many soldiers lost theirs during battle etc as it isn't integral to the operation of the rifle, and it will still work fine without it, so their rifle would just be a Kar98 without the front sight cover, it's not really important but it isn't difficult to implement a very small model attached to the weapon in 1st person view. It is of course just aesthetic but I thought I might as well suggest it anyway since no else has.

Obviously there are lots of variations that could come in all guns, even if its just in wear and tear or damage that can be changed simply in texture.

E.g.
kar-1.png

I hate it when every weapon has the exact same scratches, it destroys realism.

I think every gun should have different scratches, some should look new in the box, some should look moderately worn, and some should be worn to hell, this should depend on the experience of the unit.

I'd also like to see different wood finishes on guns, the sniper rifles in RO1 had different wood finishes.

Reactions: SolitarioSoldat
Upvote 0
I hate it when every weapon has the exact same scratches, it destroys realism.

I think every gun should have different scratches, some should look new in the box, some should look moderately worn, and some should be worn to hell, this should depend on the experience of the unit.

I'd also like to see different wood finishes on guns, the sniper rifles in RO1 had different wood finishes.

TWI already stated heroes get the shiny weapons. So, I'd expect some amount of variation.

Reactions: SolitarioSoldat
Upvote 0
You know... shiny weapons don't really make sense. When I'm near-Hero after a year of playing, I'm probably going to purposefully downgrade and keep the starter guns. Because when you think about it, a German "Hero" would pretty much be a half frozen veteran huddling in a foxhole protecting the approaches to Gumrak with 3 bullets in his Kar.

Upvote 0
You know... shiny weapons don't really make sense. When I'm near-Hero after a year of playing, I'm probably going to purposefully downgrade and keep the starter guns. Because when you think about it, a German "Hero" would pretty much be a half frozen veteran huddling in a foxhole protecting the approaches to Gumrak with 3 bullets in his Kar.

I'm sure they had more bullets then that.

Upvote 0
Didn't you guys see, once you reach Hero status all your guns are either nickel or gold plated. :troll:

In all seriousness though, I think a database of 25 different randomly generated wear mark skins that change every spawn would be AMAZING. Unfortunately I think the weapon texture artists would die of malnutrition long before finishing so much as the Kar98.

We can always hope though! :D

Upvote 0
Didn't you guys see, once you reach Hero status all your guns are either nickel or gold plated. :troll:

In all seriousness though, I think a database of 25 different randomly generated wear mark skins that change every spawn would be AMAZING. Unfortunately I think the weapon texture artists would die of malnutrition long before finishing so much as the Kar98.

We can always hope though! :D

I approve of this. :IS2::troll::IS2::troll:

Upvote 0
I kind of think weapon skins would fit really perfect as micro transaction content. Doesn't make any real difference to the game-play as for example different uniforms would but could still look different enough. And you could still have different scratches on the standard one.

this isn't a korean mmo. micro-transaction doesn't belong. thanks.

Reactions: Game-Enthousiast
Upvote 0
Let's not forget that posting pictures of 60+ year old rifles isn't going to accurately illustrate how the finish of the rifles looked 60+ years back. Back in the day they were no doubt in a much better state than they are now. Age deteriorates everything..

This probably illustrates better how a K98k looked back then, but even then this is a 60+ year old rifle, so it no doubt looked even better back in the day:
k98lamwin94004.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Let's not forget that posting pictures of 60+ year old rifles isn't going to accurately illustrate how the finish of the rifles looked 60+ years back. Back in the day they were no doubt in a much better state than they are now. Age deteriorates everything..

This probably illustrates better how a K98k looked back then, but even then this is a 60+ year old rifle, so it no doubt looked even better back in the day:
k98lamwin94004.jpg

That is the most beautiful gun I have seen. Modern assault rifles are rubbish in comparison to this.

Upvote 0