• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Small Review in Sunday Times Culture mag

Ron

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 9, 2006
Ok this morning i was happily reading the culture mag in the Sunday times paper when what did i see but a review of ro in the games review page, suprised you bet i was, the guy reviewing it obviously liked it because he gave it 5/5 :). Mind you its an extremely short review but hey its bound to bring in some new players. If you want i'll type up what was written later.

"This addictive secound world war title is an online-only first person shooter that is as frantic as it is visually stunning. As you might expect, it is set on the eastern front. You choose a side (German Wehrmacht or Soviet Red Army), and a class of soldier (rifleman, tank driver and so on) to play as, before being thrust into the thick of the action. Unless you're a grizzled FPS veteran, it's best to try the practice mode first. The calibre of online opponents is high, and novices will soon be picked off.
However, find your feet and you'll realise this game is superb. Once you cleared out your first enemy stronghold in stalingrad, you'll be furiously fragging 24/7. Despite the long load times, this orchestra is tuned to perfection" by Daniel Emery who gave it 5 Stars.

I read the irish version of the sunday times but it was on page 28 of the Sunday times Culture Mag that comes with the paper the one with all the TV listings and movie, music and book reviews.

Upvote 0
Ron said:
"Unless you're a grizzled FPS veteran, it's best to try the practice mode first. The calibre of online opponents is high, and novices will soon be picked off. "

I think this is part of the reason the community is rather small compared to games like BF2. I wonder how many people bought the game thinking "ahh heck, I'll give it a shot, " only to get owned every spawn for two hours in a row before they gave up.

Upvote 0
Avenger said:
I think this is part of the reason the community is rather small compared to games like BF2. I wonder how many people bought the game thinking "ahh heck, I'll give it a shot, " only to get owned every spawn for two hours in a row before they gave up.

I don`t really agree with the opinion that RO i exceptionally har to get into.
Yet I hear this statement all the time.

I know I`m fairly a avrage player with little sparetime to play.
yet never hade no problem holding my own.
Guess it`s because of the retail release there are lots of other newbies around.:)

I believe the load times was the bigger issue, mentioned in the review .
That kind of thing really puts people off.
New file system from Steam fixed that atleast for me ( and tweaked the ini.)

Great review. Great game.

Upvote 0
Avenger said:
Ironically, thats the way I felt about BF2.
I found the learning curve for that game far steeper than RO.

Congrats on the review!

Upvote 0