• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

2D Art Skins -- How to get the UV map to start?

hmm? you got new models already skinned, but you now want to reskin RO models instead of riggin yours? Sounds like a bad trade for me.
Plus, i dont think the RO soldiers have a very Aztec style to them :)

Whats the problem with riggin your models to the RO skeleton? Would be the best idea at this point imo. Even though you will have to do most 3rd person anims anyway.

Edit: As for nobody having the time, yeah its a pita. Thing I despise the most is the "OMG no animators" screaming. Get off your lazy asses and learn it. It's not like its some sort of magic. But well, most people are consumers with too much time to *****, suggest and again *****. Guys actually doing stuff, and then guys that do stuff over an extended period are very rare :(
</rant>

Upvote 0
Aztec Mod

Aztec Mod

I totally agree with you Worluk but I don't know how to rig and get a mesh into the game. The stock animations are alright. I've been able to compile Vert meshes, but am lost when it comes to getting animated ones to show up in-game.

I would like to see Tripwire post UV templates in the Media section of the site (or a Modders' subsection); stuff like that all in one place would save a lot of time and get more and better custom content produced.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hm, i think you should take the effort and look into riggin. Not only it seems its one of the less regarded diciplines around here, but you can also do your models justice. Both, reskinning and riggin takes its time, but i think in the end you will be more pleased with the result of your models rigged.
And though i never looked into riggin myself, i think its fairly manageable.

Upvote 0
I've just posted this over at the Aztec Mod thread:
http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8753&page=4

It seems that everyone who knows anything about modding for RO is busy expanding WWII mods. On the other hand there is a great deal of interest in the Aztec Mod, and I want to deliver it.

At this point I am researching the history, writing the code, building authentic models and optimizing, UV mapping, texturing and shading them, setting up the mod architecture, making the interface icons, designing a test level that will be true to history and fun to play, and much more.

I've thought about a one day session with a groups of modders who are busy with other mods but could all get together via forum or MSN or whatever to work all at once for a few hours on a Saturday:a blitz to get this project over the basic hurdles.

If you can contribute any time and energy at all, even for one-time just a few hours, I have a good enough handle on this mod that I can give you a specific part to work on with clear direction so your time will be appreciated not wasted.
Is anyone available and interested?

Upvote 0
Hm, i think you should take the effort and look into riggin. Not only it seems its one of the less regarded diciplines around here, but you can also do your models justice. Both, reskinning and riggin takes its time, but i think in the end you will be more pleased with the result of your models rigged.
And though i never looked into riggin myself, i think its fairly manageable.

I will learn to rig, but at this rate the mod will take another 2 years to produce.

Upvote 0
I will learn to rig, but at this rate the mod will take another 2 years to produce.

i think all your mods share your feelings :/
You definitly need more guys. Where to get them, i cant tell you.
I learned animating because of the shortage of animators.

How many different models do you have if I might ask? In how far do they differ? Would it be a one time rig thing? I mean are your models a basic model with certain things attached (headgear, stuff like the pouches etc) and a different skin?

Edit: Just checked your pics on moddb. Looks like it is the same playermodel with a different skin and shields and headgear attached. You should get away with only riggin one model and getting all in. I definitly wont go for the reskinning of the RO models.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
One figure can serve as 30: I have made 30 hi-res authentic warriors that wear the warsuit. All use one basic warsuit, there are 4 unique weapons, 8 unique shield designs, and variants on the backbanners and headgear. By combining them in different wasy and changing textures they produce all the different soldiers. All the high res textures and .obj models are done. I'm modeling low res versions as I go.

There is one other type figure I'd like that is a figure with only a loincloth and sandals to be the base for novice fighters and civilians.

These are the Cuachic and Huitznahuatl.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aztec Mod

Aztec Mod

i think all your mods share your feelings :/
You definitly need more guys. Where to get them, i cant tell you.
I learned animating because of the shortage of animators.

How many different models do you have if I might ask? In how far do they differ? Would it be a one time rig thing? I mean are your models a basic model with certain things attached (headgear, stuff like the pouches etc) and a different skin?

Edit: Just checked your pics on moddb. Looks like it is the same playermodel with a different skin and shields and headgear attached. You should get away with only riggin one model and getting all in. I definitly wont go for the reskinning of the RO models.

If I got you a package containing the low res figure model and any other things needed for it, could you get it into the game?

Upvote 0