• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Skinning help please

Aces

Jun 2, 2007
Hi,

I have been working on a new uniform mod. I have successfully extracted the texture files form the UPK files using UMODEL but can't fathom out where to put them to display in game. I did download the SDK but cannot run it as all my PCs at home and work are 32bit Windows XP. I downloaded the UT3 UDK but cannot work out if it's any good for my requirements. I did read some info on the web about making a CustomChars folder and tried the files there to no avail.

Any help most appreciated, wish I could run the SDK or a cut down version if there was one that would let me re-pack edited textures as I've read that it is impossible to re-pack upk files.

Best regards

Aces

Hi,

So it looks like I'm stuffed without being able to run the SDK, what a pity. I thought there might be another way to modify textures, not all of us have x64 PCs. I've worked on IL-2 Sturmovik, Silent Hunter 3/4/5, Stell Fury and Bob v2.10 but looks like I cannot do so for RO2.

Regards

Aces

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi and thanks for replying, I have extracted the textures using UMODEL from the relevant UPK files and edited them in photoshop, I want to re-package them, test them etc.. I have installed UDK for UT3 but couldn't figure out how to import textures back into UPK files.

Regards

Aces

Upvote 0
Hi,

Unfortunately that didn't work. I tried to import the package as an external package so that I could then import the graphics file but it failed with every package that I tried to import with an error such as:

"Unable to load package (C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\red orchestra 2\ROGame\CookedPC\Packages\Characters\M36_German_Tunic.upk) PackageVersion 765, MaxExpected 854 : LicenseePackageVersion 766, MaxExpected 0."

I'm asuming that the UDK is a different version from that used to produce the RO2 packages. If only I could run the RO2 SDK on windows 32.

Regards

Aces

Upvote 0
Still no joy with that version of the UDK but I'm getting closer:

Unable to load package (C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\red orchestra 2\ROGame\CookedPC\Packages\Characters\M36_German_Tunic.upk) PackageVersion 765, MaxExpected 765 : LicenseePackageVersion 766, MaxExpected 0.

I think I need the next later UDK version.

Regards

Aces

Upvote 0
Okay, i give up, I've downloaded, installed and tried many different release versions of the UDK but no joy opening the RO2 upk files. Without a 32bit version of the SDK I'm stuck.

Pity as I has some really nice uniform work in mind. Anyway I'll check back sometime and see if things change.

Regards

Aces

Upvote 0
I'm not very experienced in UDK but I think you will have to find the models then uncook them, change the skin on it then repack the .upk file with a different name then ask a mapper to use those models in his map. I'm not sure if it would work by just changing the textures. Also would be cool to see those skins :) You might need someone to compile the models for you that has the RO2 SDK working.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi,

I've tried 5 different versions of the UDK now and still can't open imported RO2 packages.

Aces

and if you download all the versions of udk, you want be able to import (ro2 packages)them. and thats because its not backward compatible. you can make assets in the sep, 2010 udk and import them into ro2 sdk, but not the other way around. ;)

Upvote 0
Hi and thanks for the info,

I see, then it looks like I'm stuck without being able to run the SDK. I'm not an online player and don't play the game online as I much prefer offline play so I was only trying to edit some textures for offline play.

Thanks again, I'll have to pass on this, I have several modding projects on the go for other games which are a lot more straightforward to work with.

Kind regards

Aces

Last edited:
Upvote 0