• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Single Player Mode Stated On Box

daddonator

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jun 20, 2006
I've been unable to figure out how to play in the single player offline mode. Your support forum has a thread on this subject and all of the replies indicate that there is no single player mode. Yet it states clearly on the back of the box I bought " - Join your friends online or play single player in the epic struggle...." I am confined to a 24kbps dial-up, so I only buy games with single player modes.
What do you suggest?

The only purpose for the single player game is to practice for the multi player game. Even then I would rather just join a server and play a multi game.

As far as a true single player game this is not it. You can play it but you would be better off playing a game designed for single player like Half Life, CoD2 or another such game.

RO is more like BF2 in that it is really is meant first and foremost as a multi player game.

If you can get broadband do so, you will not regret it.

Upvote 0
I play with bots quite often and I enjoy it, you can tell them to attack a certain target, hold a position, you can even tk without getting kicked.
Its still a good game.

The best thing that ever happened in gaming was when the bots were added to the original Unreal, so I guess I'm a bit sentimental about me bots.

Thinking about it, I've got an old computer and my copy of Unreal in the cellar, I'm gonna have a crack at Deck 17...

Upvote 0
Yes, the box is deceiving...It clearly states on the back, "Join your friends online or play single player in the epic struggle that was the Eastern Front during World War II." Inside the front cover, it says, "Now it is your turn to experience the intensity that was the Eastern Front of World War II online with up to 32 players, or by leading a squad of A.I. in single-player." Also says on the back, "Internet Connection Required for Activation During Install and for Online or LAN Play."

Now, the "Single-Player," which is referred to above, is not your typical mission based, story mode, but, very much like Battlefield 2, just "Practice Mode," which is basically multiplayer with bots. You can also play, "cooperatively" on the LAN with a friend, and bots can be included.

I, for one, play many games on the LAN, and enjoy having the bots to fill up the LAN server. It is actually quite fun to go around killing bots with a buddy. Yes, they are not as much fun as playing online, but there are still places on this Earth were not everyone can get or afford a high-speed internet connection. If you think you would still enjoy playing the game with bots (just don't expect too much from them) then that is the most single-player you will find in this game. If you expected a full, single-player, story mode, then, I think, you should be able to get a refund, based upon what is stated on the box.

This game is still fun with bots, more fun with a friend, and the most fun online. At least this game has bots, compared to Day of Defeat: Source which does not have bots.

Hope that makes everything crystal clear for everyone, especially those considering buying the game.

Upvote 0
" - Join your friends online or play single player in the epic struggle...."

It's called misinformation, or in some countries false advertising that should not be done and if reported, for example to Advertising Standards Authority in the UK, will land the producer quickly in hot water.

Playing the the practise mode (single-player) against bots that has an artificial intelligence lower than lobotomized chimpancee's only will provide you entertainment for about 5 minutes. Unless you have a chance to get better connection, best thing you can do is to return the game for refund and log a complaint about misleading information about the game in its cover.

Upvote 0
It's called misinformation, or in some countries false advertising that should not be done and if reported, for example to Advertising Standards Authority in the UK, will land the producer quickly in hot water.

Playing the the practise mode (single-player) against bots that has an artificial intelligence lower than lobotomized chimpancee's only will provide you entertainment for about 5 minutes. Unless you have a chance to get better connection, best thing you can do is to return the game for refund and log a complaint about misleading information about the game in its cover.

So because its more fun to play online they shouldn't advertise that you can play single player? He can play singleplayer if he wants, but by not meeting the minimum requirements (broadband) the game will be pretty crappy. Should they put on the box "Failure to meet minimum requirements may result in poor gameplay"?

Upvote 0