• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Simple building procedures

This is how I do it now I vertex edit them. but sometimes if I dont get the Vertices in the right place they cause other BSP to dissappear. I just though ti woudl be easier to overlap and hit connect or something to make one L shaped brush then there would be no seams I have had good and bad luck with intersect and deintersect.

You mean some of the verticies are off the grid?

Upvote 0
If BSP faces disappearing is a symptom of verts of the grid then yes. Never really knew what that meant. Sometimes it also seems as though if to BSP addBrushes overlap it also causes BSP to disappear.

Well then get the off-grid verticies on the grid. And there's one good rule in making BSP stuff:
You should be able to draw a line, that does not cut the outer walls of the shape, from all verticies to all of them. So no crescent/etc. shaped BSP meshes.

Upvote 0
If you have some kind of representation of the sun, or even a brighter area in the clouds it may be better to put the sunlight in the skydome near that area and pointing towards the info actor, just so you can line it up. I recall one map (possibly Krasniy) having the dome, then a light near the moon and then a semitransparent overlay (maybe a picture of the moon) all in the skybox. It would be difficult to do that in the world cube.

The only objection I can think of to doing it like that is that the sunlight may light up the skydome on the opposite side so you might have to make the skydome mesh bUnlit or something, maybe even make the texture into a self-illuminated shader.

Upvote 0
Okay here is another stupid question. How do you take a regular square wall BSP brush and cut it up to make like ruins. how do you make the cuts? Do you use one of the tools? If so then how? and if I want to cut a jagged hole in a building how would i go about doing that? Thanks.

I use the 2d shape editor to make the shape, then extrude it to 16-32 UUs (depends on the situation) and then subtract the hole in the wall.

Upvote 0