• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Shrinking Tracer Rounds

Ever noticed the way the MG tracer rounds sometimes flop around like agitated, glowing crowbars after they hit something? Also as the tracers bounce the second time the speed is much slower and the length looks wrong. Id like to write a mutator that shrinks the length of the tracer round according to their speed, but only after the tracer has hit something. Or even change to a second, shorter tracer emitter instead.

Not sure what effect you are looking for but maybe look at some video of real tracers impacting and what they do. I know in real life sometimes the tracer element disengages from the round and does some wierd stuff and also optical illusion also comes into effect since the speed is fast, of course this shouldnt be of concern in RO.

Upvote 0
Ever noticed the way the MG tracer rounds sometimes flop around like agitated, glowing crowbars after they hit something? Also as the tracers bounce the second time the speed is much slower and the length looks wrong. Id like to write a mutator that shrinks the length of the tracer round according to their speed, but only after the tracer has hit something. Or even change to a second, shorter tracer emitter instead.

The bullets in game have real ballistic calculations. They ricochet of things in game the same way bullets do in real life. When they do, they lose speed so will appear to be moving slower. In real life, if a tracer bullet ricochets off something, it will be moving slower, the "trail" of hot burning gaseous tracer material following the bullet will be shorter. This is modelled pretty good in game. It looks much like real life.

Upvote 0
i agree that the tracers look good when they are travelling at full speed after firing- and the tracers that slightly bounce off something (so are still going quite fast) look good too. I was looking throught the code last night and saw that the code allows the tracer to bounce twice before being destroyed, with decreasing speed each bounce. Depending on what it hits the speed is reduced a different amount and the tracer is destroyed if the speed drops too low. It seems that if the tracer only hits terrain the mesh is not destroyed untill the mesh has "landed()"- come to a complete stop.

I've had the tracer mesh fall in front of me and still be about 3 foot long, and twitch around untill it has comletely stopped- and still be full lenght. I was thinking that a reduction in the length would - maybe at each bounce point would make the tracers look even better.

There are only two tracer classes and a base class to modify but then mods such as the woeponsounds716 and other weapon mods might clash.

Im not 100% sure if the tracer that you see is a static mesh or emitter

Upvote 0