• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Should I get the GTX 970 or R9 390? 390 is more powerful but I'll miss out on Flex...

MultiSlayer

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 16, 2014
It's time to upgrade, but I'm really seriously on the fence of which side to go. Current card: Radeon 7850 1 GB so this is a huge upgrade.

If I get the GTX 970, I'll be able to use those cool Flex effects, but it only has 3.5 GB of vram (says 4, but well you know the story). Meanwhile the R9 390 has a whopping 8 GB, 8 fokin' GB! I'm so conflicted because, I want those sweet *** Flex effects, but at the same time the 970 might not last as long as the 390 due to rapidly inflating vram requirements. And I also plan to beast out my Skyrim with crazy graphics mods, so having 8 GB would be helpful for that.

Is the 970 still worth it? I want Flex effects, but at the same time I'm worried about its low vram. This upgrade dilemma has been going on in my head for like 3 weeks while working up the funds. Help. :confused:

I always get the card that fits the price point I have set aside for it and will work best in the long run. I ignore proprietary techs since their implementation is usually pretty spotty and are only used in a handful of games (like TressFX which was only really used in TombRaider and Hairworks which everyone immediately turned off to save their frames in the Witcher3, Flex is usually turned off in KF2 because of the huge FPS hit). Flex is not really worth making the decision over, in my opinion. Its not very well optimized and doesn't really add much.

I'd personally go with the 390 for the 8gb of ram which will be more future proof.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I always get the card that fits the price point I have set aside for it and will work best in the long run. I ignore proprietary techs since their implementation is usually pretty spotty and are only used in a handful of games (like TressFX which was only really used in TombRaider and Hairworks which everyone immediately turned off to save their frames in the Witcher3, Flex is usually turned off in KF2 because of the huge FPS hit). Flex is not really worth making the decision over, in my opinion. Its not very well optimized and doesn't really add much.

I'd personally go with the 390 for the 8gb of ram which will be more future proof.

this is pretty good advice, ive owned probably about 15 cards for a year or two each, and ive had good and bad experiences from all brands used, in the end is up to what you want most and how much money you have and how long do you plan to have it.

of the last 2 i had the amd was by far the better, not in terms of pure power since they werent exactly from the same year, but in term of quality, but im sure someone will tell you the other way, im not a fanboy of either and it certainly can go one way or the other.

Upvote 0
Alright, today is purchasing day and I've decided to go with the R9 390. I'd rather have more frames and more dead bodies than Flex effects. And it's better for other games, and more future proof.

Thanks you guys, can't wait for it to arrive! :D

EDIT: WAIT! Apparently the 390 is more power hungry and requires a lot of wattage. I only have a 600w power supply. Still haven't bought anything yet, but I might actually go with the 970 because it's the safer route... hmmm.

EDIT 2: Apparently 600w is still fine for the 390. I'll just get the 390 then. Thanks!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
EDIT 2: Apparently 600w is still fine for the 390. I'll just get the 390 then. Thanks!

all you need to know about the R9 390 in terms of power is:
estimated absolute maximum power draw: ~325 Watts
estimated absolute maximum Amperage draw in same situation: ~27.5 Amps

so as long as the rest of your computer doesn't use more than ~250 Watts, and your 12v Rail(s) can provide enough Amperage(read the sticker on your PSU/the box) and your Power Supply is a good one (i.e. will actually consistently produce the Power it says it can) then you should be okay.

Upvote 0