• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Should I get RO2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trendkill

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2006
Dorset, UK
With the weather getting worse and holidays coming up I've been playing games a bit more recently.

I've gone back and played some RO:Ost for the first time in months (maybe a year or more). I can only find one (Russian) server with many people playing. I'm wondering now about RO2.

When RO2 came out initially I heard a lot of poor stuff about how it had changed, as well as bugs and such, that really turned me off it completely.
More recently though I've heard people talk about patches that have made the game 'more like old RO' and I've also heard about realism and classic mode, although I don't really know what those mean.

Long story short; as a one-time avid player of RO:Ost would I pleased or let down to buy RO2? What is classic mode and can it replace RO:Ost?

Classic mode is still being tweaked and with the next update coming out should be a close approximation of ROHOS's version of ROOST, but it is NOT ROOST. Keep in mind that there were many improvements in ROHOS over ROOST and Classic is sort of a blend of the two.

There are servers set up as Classic, but there are more servers set up as Realism or a custom blend of the two.

There are also new custom maps because of the mapping contest with more coming and they play very Ostfront-like. There is even a CTF mod recently created that looks and feels very promising.

Long story short, yes its defintely worth buying UNLESS you are just hoping for a ROOST remake with improved graphics :p

Upvote 0
The gameplay isn't that different from launch, as Realism is the dominant gamemode and is essentially unaltered. Classic is promising but only played at certain times. If current realistic mode is your cup of tea, and you like a weird blend of CoD and Ost you may like it. First get a guest pass and try though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i never played ostfront and still consider myself quite a noob in ro2 but i can honestly say that i do enjoy the game (76 hours of total run-time since may, according to steam). but you might wanna wait for a discount (there's been a few of 'em every couple of months and i'm guessing it's gonna repeat around xmas). or maybe wait till the release of rising storm (basically ro2 in the pacific) whose buyers will supposedly gain free access to ro2 multiplayer.

classic mode is da bomb but unfortunately there are a very few servers running it.

and yeah, it's got unresolved issues, but i think it's still worth it.

Upvote 0
I keep coming back to RO2 hoping to find it in some improved state... all I can really find is Realism servers that are highly played, Classic is always somewhat diminished.

captain pain is basically correct. They still don't have the colour-coded team messages for god sakes, how hard is that? Gameplay is basically nothing like RO:OST, but the custom map Bridges of Druzhina brings the gameplay closer to home.

Major limitations are the map sizes and map constructions, the botched release of tanks (aimbotting AI gunners which has now been fixed I think, but most servers still disable tanks)

Despite this, the gunplay is good and the game can still manage to be fun. I'd highly recommend Classic mode over Realism, but 'Classic' mode almost sounds derogatory, and I haven't seen any TWI Official Classic servers, so it seems Realism is the supported gamemode.

You may be let down in some aspects, but for $15 I'd say it's worth it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
For the price its worth every penny! the game is still being improved and will only get better.With custom content coming in its one of the better values around.The game itself is solid and compared to even AA titles it offers more innovation than any fps this last 2 years.

As a die hard Ost fan Im still happy with HoS while I don't agree with all its features it has many improvements over Ost. Also its the closest thing to Ost we are going to get out of any game now or in the future.Until maybe Rising Storm or Ro3 times change and so do games I have accepted the changes from Ost.I think you will enjoy Classic there is a UK server that is active.

Hope you join us!

Edit: When they tweak Classic I think it will make a big comeback!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
For the price its worth every penny! the game is still being improved and will only get better.With custom content coming in its one of the better values around.The game itself is solid and compared to even AA titles it offers more innovation than any fps this last 2 years.

As a die hard Ost fan Im still happy with HoS while I don't agree with all its features it has many improvements over Ost. Also its the closest thing to Ost we are going to get out of any game now or in the future.Until maybe Rising Storm or Ro3 times change and so do games I have accepted the changes from Ost.I think you will enjoy Classic there is a UK server that is active.

Hope you join us!

Edit: When they tweak Classic I think it will make a big comeback!

You forgot Festung Europa man

Upvote 0
Some good advice being posted about trying before you buy.
Personally I would buy it as the game has improved greatly from release and the support is there from TWI.

Some may say its not enough (i disagree) but compared to just about every other publisher/developer its a virtual flood..lol

More vehicles, more maps and a major mod are all on the way.

Go for it..:D

Upvote 0
captain pain is basically correct. They still don't have the colour-coded team messages for god sakes, how hard is that?

Currently done by Ducky's mutator, getting an official release in the next patch (i.e. the functionality will be based on Ducky's mut, but reworked, is my understanding).

Now, it's a completely different thing that the development team shouldn't be motived into doing such things (another example is the client-side hit detection) officially by makers of modifications, but rather should do it of their own volition, but well, at the end of the day what matters is we get the improved functionality (seeing as we'd already paid for the game, it's less of an issue who really authored the improvements; maybe important for TWI's next game and whether it'll be worth investing in it from day one).

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.