• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Shotguns hit low left

Gladius

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 4, 2011
I'm not sure if this is working as intended or more worth a bug report. Shotguns generally hit very low. So low that the target mostly has to vanish behind the barrel model. And then there are weird runaways in accuracy, where the shot goes also to the left quite extreme.

In that picture examle I'm rested in a prone position, holding breath and shooting at 10 m distance:

143uxb.jpg

This is related to both the Ithaca M37 and the Izh-58 Hunting Shotgun with buckshot.

I have very similar problem, however it's only with the trench gun, and it's more directly below the bead sight for me. I highly doubt this is intended because I own a Mossberg 590 in real life and the shot group is always roughly in the middle of the bead. Not to mention it wouldn't be common sense to make you have to conceal your target while shooting. This makes close quarters extremely frustrating where was with the hunting shotgun it's fine. Perhaps it's some sort of FOV/resolution problem? I'm playing on 1680x1050 at 88 FOV. Please fix this ASAP, I love the trench gun because it's so satisfying but it is unusable at the moment TW/Antimatter.

Upvote 0
I've seen the stray pellets occur, but I've not noticed any accuracy issues. It doesn't happen offline, so it'll only be an online issue and if that's the case, it may not actually be a real problem. By which I mean, the actual pellets as seen by the server are probably where you'd expect, but the client side impact effects you see might be off. I don't know that for sure, but shotguns do have to use a few tricks to not break the network and one of those involves faking the hits that weren't on an actual player, since a missed pellet doesn't really matter if it shows up a few cm away from where it actually hit on the server, as long as the grouping is still about right. If something's a bit off in that calculation, that could explain why the whole grouping is a bit off, but I'm just speculating.

We'll take a look in any case.

Upvote 0
PsYcH0_Ch!cKeN;n2295693 said:
I've seen the stray pellets occur, but I've not noticed any accuracy issues. It doesn't happen offline, so it'll only be an online issue and if that's the case, it may not actually be a real problem. By which I mean, the actual pellets as seen by the server are probably where you'd expect, but the client side impact effects you see might be off. I don't know that for sure, but shotguns do have to use a few tricks to not break the network and one of those involves faking the hits that weren't on an actual player, since a missed pellet doesn't really matter if it shows up a few cm away from where it actually hit on the server, as long as the grouping is still about right. If something's a bit off in that calculation, that could explain why the whole grouping is a bit off, but I'm just speculating.

We'll take a look in any case.

Excellent to hear! Although from what I've played I'm 99% sure the shots are actually hitting low, like the damaging shots. For instance, I made this little video where I'm hitting the targets in singleplayer fine (though the shot grouping is just a tiny bit lower than I would like, but not as bad as I've noticed in multiplayer). And That's odd Gladius, for me the Vietnamese shotguns work fine I'm pretty sure, but I'll double check. The Trench gun does however either shoot low, or low and to the left like you said.

Don't know if this will help but here anyways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kPvvqJ1ZNc

Upvote 0
hisoka_fingerland;n2295839 said:
After a few more hours playing with the m37 and the IZH58, they both shoot low left, even on close quarters you can miss your target while aiming center mass

That's odd, I wonder why the Vietnamese shotguns aren't affected for me. I've got one clip that's pretty good proof the dust clouds are actually where the damage is going, I would have zero trouble with this shot from either the coach gun or hunting shotgun, while I had to take two shots and aim higher and to the right with the 2nd shot. If you look close I'm pretty much aiming center mass.

I don't have a lot of good footage other than this because it's hard to get kills with, and the ones I do aren't in the open where you can see the dust kicking up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpkotV3HvRk

Upvote 0
hisoka_fingerland;n2296022 said:
the thing that clearly show me that the IZH58 also has an offset was when i was shooting at people, but all my shots land in the obstacle that was way below the supposed line of fire.
But it only happen with buckshot, the slugs hits exactly where you aim

Oddly, it's started to happen to me today too for Vietnamese shotguns. I used to be able to hit shots over 100 meters every once in awhile and now it seems impossible to get a good kill 50 meters away. I'll try and get a friend to help me test for another video for some more insight or just general test footage, but I have no idea what activated it. I think it may have been because it's the first time I tried the SMG for Vietnamese, maybe the same thing happens if you try Grease Gun for Americans. It almost seems like it's shooting in the place it would without a stock too, a little lower and to the left, so maybe that may have caused it?

Upvote 0
Ok guys, final verdict - the effects you're seeing are purely client side. Your shots are being processed in the direction you're aiming. In the above screenshots, the single impact that's sitting on its own is where the rounds are actually going, the other clump is a desync between client and server as pertains to where the barrel is pointing, with a bit of replication precision and floating point precision error thrown in for good measure. The good news is that as long as your aim is good, you'll still hit enemies, even if you don't see the hits show up. The bad news is if your aim is bad or you're snap-shotting (and it's worse with a higher FoV) and you hear "ding" then you probably didn't actually hit at all as far as your client is concerned.

A fix will be coming in the next patch to clean this up. It's not perfect, but it'll fix the drastic disconnect between aim location and apparent impact points. It will also prevent erroneous "ding" sounds from headshots with shotguns (though a side effect is sometimes you won't hear a ding for an actual headshot, but that's a price that will have to be paid to prevent false positives).

Reactions: Rayne and steve2142
Upvote 0