• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Shoot from inside Transport?

Dziga Vertov

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 22, 2013
Is this at all possible from within the UE3 engine? Specifically I mean would it be possible to have a vehicle such as a transport, truck, or car, where instead of just getting into the seats and either sitting twiddling thumbs or firing a form of mounted turret, you could fire the weapons you carry before getting into that vehicle. Even if it required lots of coding and new animations, is this at all possible within the framework which is already in place?

When I search on the UE3 forums I find nothing about vehicle weapons except for ones which are part of the vehicle, and this distresses me to think that you could never have something as simple as what is done with a Halo combat evolved warthog.

I actually don't think it would be terribly difficiult. As long as you have the animations.

I think the hardest part would be making it so you use the specific weapons your character has in the vehicle. Could make it sidearms only lol.

It would be hilarious in the new Opel Olympia for heroes of the west. Smash the window with your elbow then start gunning people down in a drive by shooting.

If I recall the germans in WW2 performed the best driveby shooting in history. They used trams. Invading the Netherlands early in the war. A bunch of Fallshirmjager paratroopers were cut off behind enemy lines. A german officer came up with a brilliant idea. The tram lines run right to the falshirmjagers position. So they gathered up a bunch of tram cars, piled in leaving the first two empty as a decoy/battering ram. Theh went full speed down the road. Machine guns, SMGs, pistols, grenades, rifles and rifle grenades. All these fired stuff out the windows of the trams. They reached the fallshirmjager while leaving a trail of destruction behind them. While brilliantly executed they only succeeded in cutting themselves off as well and using up most of the "extra" MG ammunition on the way. They were eventually resucued properly.

Upvote 0