• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Sherman Tank M3 hatches Right or Wrong?

Me and AAZ (mostly AAZ) have been looking over the Sherman tank model we just got from raven. I'm no expert on Sherman tanks, nor is AAZ. But he thinks that the hatches are might be wrong, he couldn't find any pictures to support the odd looking hatches either. I believe him, although I would like someone more knowledgeable to give an answer.
This is the model we have, and the mysterious looking hatches:
NeGlwpmlPa8.jpg

Upon looking in further we think it might be the M4A2(75).

Last edited:
There was probably over 20 variants of the M4 Sherman. Where it was made, and when produced entirely different looking tanks. Even at the same plants, based on supplies, the M4 could be a welded hull, cast, or composite of cast and welded parts.

Looking at the model Beskar Mando posted, looks to be an early welded M4 (not a M4A1). The "boobs" in these early versions were welded plates, which is why it looks squared off. Typically the manufacturer also welded 1" plates in front of these weak spots to create a glancing surface. Another give away is the 3 piece bolted transmission cover that forms the front glacias, definately an early M4.

The 3d model looks to be based of a 1/35 Tamiya plastic kit. So the "struts" are wrong as those are from mid-production M4's, and should be identicle to those used for Lees and Grants with thin \||/ ribbing. Not something most ppl would care about.

What you need to decide is when it was fielded, and look at the options, and decide what look you like best. Full cast mid M4A1s are the sexiest IMO, because they have sweet curves (and consiquently more difficult to 3d model).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I know this thread is sorta old but I think I know what sherman tank this is as it was never really answered.

It's an M4A2(75) small hatch tank manufactured by Federal Machine and Welder (FMW). The next closest is the M4A3 small hatch manufactured by ford. Though that doesn't quite look the same as your model. Though with a slight modification you can definitely pass it off as such.

It also has armoured skirts which rules out the M4 and M4A1. They didn't have skirts. Side skirts were a modification on some shermans and not on others.

Last edited:
Upvote 0