• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Sharpshooter, the new Zerker?

Sharpshooter was my first perk to level 5, the sheer efficiency of headshots is immense.

We are aiming for a target considerably smaller than other perks, if we had the additional dmg on headshots removed, would you feel as powerful, I highly doubt it.

We are rewarded for our skill with the headshot, seems fair to me.

There's nothing wrong with the Sharpshooter class in itself, it's just that the M14 is way overpowered at the moment.

Upvote 0
Nothing wrong with rewarding skill but 300 shots most of which can kill almost all enemies in 1 hit is a bit over the top isn't it?

You realize that the 9mm(!) can kill anything Clots, Gorefasts, Crawlers, Stalkers, and Bloats in one hit from Sharpshooter, right?

The Lever Action Rifle ($200!) can kill anything except for Scrakes and Fleshpounds in a single shot!

The Crossbow ($400!) can kill ANYTHING in one hit except the occasional Fleshpound!

The M-14 isn't as big of a problem as the class' absolutely insane damage in general is. The M-14 with it's rapid firing rate, huge ammo capacity, and good base damage just drive this home.

I think the biggest issue with the M-14 is that unlike the Lever Action, the M-14 has a ridiculous amount of ammo. IMO, the 80-round limit is what really gimps the Lever Action. Without that, it'd be on-par with the M-14 until you can afford it!

And those who say it's a gamebreaker obviously aren't seeing enough Supports unloading a full clip of AA-12 rounds into a crowd. I've seen ONE full mag of AA-12 kill THREE Scrakes, half a dozen Gorefasts, a Siren, and a few clots. In under 3 seconds. Penetrating, area-effect, big-damage, autofire much?

Upvote 0
I'd like to see a Sharpie6 solo Hard mode on ANY level. The only problem with that is that the Sharpie is not a self-sustaining class. It cannot heal itself fast, and the limitations begin to mount as the amount of Specs per wave grows. They can STILL be mobbed by sirens, scrakes, fleshpounds, even gorefasts. If you are truly able to beat a Hard game -by yourself- as Sharpie6, that is a testament to your skill. I'm Sharpie6, and I have yet to accomplish that. (Or try, but I digress.)

Each class excels at something. The sharpie's is for quickly taking out distant zeds before they become a problem. As soon as the swarm is in your face, though, you get completely screwed. It's the same with other classes. Let's go through them: The Sup Spec excels at taking out close-range targets, especially with the new AA12, the Demo excels at taking out groups of enemies, the Commando is fantastic at clearing out hallways of the lesser zeds, as well as saving any classes' *** from stalkers, Berzerkers... Well, berzerkers got screwed last update, and you see where I'm going with this.

However, there is one class that will always excel above other classes at eliminating the NEED for other classes: The medic Lvl6. I was playing through Foundry on Hard during the free weekend and found myself with 120+ extra zeds to deal with because my new teammates died in the first few seconds of combat. I was able to stay alive as medic long enough because of my speed, my armor, my ability to quickly heal- and my ability to always be on the move.

..where was I going with this again?

I just... I don't know where to begin, but, it sounds to me asthough SharpShooter might not be for you.

As a SharpShooter you certainly have the ability to keep mobs away from you, infact, it's so easy that it's rediculous.
The increasing number of ZEDs is not a problem, as I explained, the SharpShooter has more than enough ammo to suffice.
I believe I mentioned in my post that I was refering to 6man Suicidals. All those ZEDs you mentioned can easily be dispatched with 1 Shot(no, I'm not just assuming, I know for a fact).
No, getting "swarmed" by mobs is not a problem, I stated that the SharpShooter can remove any threat a ZED may pose, that includes "Swarming". Sharp's have plenty of fast-firing, powerful weapons for any "Omg Wtf" situations just incase.
The SharpShooter can fill any role, hence my statement that they remove any need for other classes(effectively making them obsolete). Group-Rape? Crossbow, Close Range? Pistol/Rifle, Lesser Mobs? Pistol/Rifle, Nasty Mobs? Crossbow/Rifle etc.
Your Medic story is inspiring, but could you tell me, which weapon did you use? I'm willing to bet it was probably Pistol/Crossbow(possibly Katana), or it must've been something else against a low-end wave. Now imagine doing the same thing, except being able to kill anything and everything before it has a chance to become a problem, and, before you start to doubt your ammo supply. Also, keep in mind that I am basing my statements on Suicidal play(generally 6man). Many little tactics will simply not work the same way as on Hard.

Seriously, just because you, or anyone else in particular, can't seem to do it, doesn't mean it can't be done. Skill levels do play a part in this, but everything I have said are pure Facts. And every one of those facts is based upon Suicidal gameplay.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
But yes, Sharpshooters have been one of the best "Solo" classes all along...

Difference is that now, since the update and especially with Fleshpounds, they absolutely outshine any other class(heck, they're basically the only choice for Fleshpounds really). It's not like they're "one of the best" anymore. They are the best, and not just slightly.

Think that deciding factor has basically come down to TWI removing the Fleshpound decapitation(which IMO was a stupid "fix").

Upvote 0
If TWI didn't fix that "stupid fix" everyone would still be berserks and nothing would have changed, sharpshooters would get nothing and everyone would be berserks.
Make sense please?
What does that insta-decap glitch have to do with being a berserk?
You were able to do that easily with a 9mm.

And I have never ever seen a single game in which everyone was 'berserks' just like right now I never see a game with only sharpshooters so stop making crap up.

Last edited:
Upvote 0