• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Sharpshooter skills revealed

Gladius

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 4, 2011
[KFPerk_Sharpshooter]
PerkName="Sharpshooter"

EXPAction1="Dealing Gunslinger weapon damage"
EXPAction2="Head shots with Gunslinger weapons"

SkillCatagories[0]="Movement"
SkillCatagories[1]="Basic Technique"
SkillCatagories[2]="Skill"
SkillCatagories[3]="Equipment"
SkillCatagories[4]="Master Techniques"

Passives[0]=(Title="Headshot Damage",Description="Headshot damage increased by %x%");
Passives[1]=(Title="Recoil",Description="%x% less recoil");
Passives[2]=(Title="Weapon Switch",Description="Weapon switch speed increased by %x%");

StationaryAim="Stationary Aim
StationaryAimDescription="10% more damage while stationary."

Trigger="Trigger"
TriggerDescription="Shoot speed and movement speed increased by 10%."

CrouchAim="Crouch Aim"
CrouchAimDescription="10% more damage while crouched."

Stun="Stun"
StunDescription="30% more stun power with perk weapons."

RhythmMethod="Rack 'em Up"
RhythmMethodDescription="Rack up the headshots: each consecutive headshot increases damage by 17% up to 68% with Gunslinger weapons."

TacticalReload="Tactical Reload"
TacticalReloadDescription="Be cool. Be quick. Reload faster with perk weapons AND look more elite while you're at it."

Scoped="Scoped"
ScopedDescription="Recoil reduced 10%, headshot damage increased 10% when using scope or ironsights."

AmmoPouch="Ammo Pouch"
AmmoPouchDescription="25% more ammo and grenades."

ZTKnockdown="ZED TIME - Knockdown"
ZTKnockdownDescription="Headshots with perk weapons will knock down any zed."

ZTStun="ZED TIME - Stun"
ZTStunDescription="Headshots with perk weapons will stun any zed."
sauce

Hmmm, interesting.

I guess giving those weapons more damage overall passive bonus would be a bit nuts so makes sense why it's only head shot damage. Find it interesting that sharpshooter gets all these conditional bonuses that when combined could up their damage by 88% (even more if going for head shots).

Stuns and stumbles are a bit odd since when hitting for that much damage i doubt that much would really be standing after. On top of all that i find it odd that the sharpshooter is one of the only perks so far that gets an extra grenade, something even demo or support don't get.

Zed time skills as usual are meh, was expecting something a little more exciting like an exploding headshot or something that would make all rounds have like a 50000% pen value while in zed time (call it magic bullet or something).

Upvote 0
I realize this is going to sound incredibly unconstructive, but wow are these skills bad, sorely disappointing, and unimaginative. I really, really hope these are just placeholder skills. Is this really the best TWI could think of? There isn't a single skill tier here where I can imagine going, "Wow, I can't wait to level up to get X skill!" Not to toot my own horn here, but my skill tree was a lot better given some balance tweaking: http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=116719

A number of these skills are just recycled from other classes, and the other ones that aren't are boring, anyway. I don't like skills that necessitate a certain playstyle for them to even function. So in order to efficiently use my perk weapon, I have to be stationary, crouched, and aimed down the sight? Come on. Way to gimp the options, and way to make kiting feel like a handicap. Those skills will be useless on higher difficulties, especially with GameConductor now making enemies even faster than they were.

None of these skills change the class in an exciting way. The problem here isn't necessarily balance; the problem is the skills aren't fun. Even demo has more interesting skills, which is beyond sad.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's perfectly reasonable to judge what we see right in front of us. I still realize that this may not be final (god, I hope), but that doesn't disqualify us from having an opinion on currently known information.
Yeah true. Just saying that it's not smart to call outright doom right now based on stuff that still makes references to the Gunslinger in the middle of Sharp's skill tree.

Some of the skills are pretty clearly near-final though, like the ZED Time and Ammo Pouch ones. Both ZED Time ones are kind of silly (KDs being a detriment to Sharp more than anything and stuns being standard) and Ammo Pouch raises my eyebrow what with Sharp getting extra grenades before Demo. The stat increment skills are probably near-final too and aren't too impressive sounding, but they will be tweaked, I imagine.

Upvote 0
I understand we're not supposed to see these skills at all. I'm sure these are most likely pretty much what we'll get, with some small changes and tweaks. Hopefully the actual skills are a little more creative because these are very, very bland. I noticed that there is a weapon switch speed bonus as a passive multiplier, interesting as that was an idea of mine. If one idea was incorporated, perhaps others should be as well to replace some of these boring ones. Here's a few examples of new, interesting skills rather than bland number increases like 10% damage:

Prey? Not today: Stay mobile and stay alive. Gain speed the lower your health, moving as fast as a Zerk by 50% hp. (To help escape certain death)

Stopping Power: Your shots always tend to hit something vital. Any zeds you shoot are wounded and bleed for extra damage. (A little extra help for conserving ammo)

Recoil Compensation: Perfect hand-eye coordination comes in handy. Gain the accuracy bonus from crouching even while standing. (Can be combined with more damage while standing still)

Tagged: When you shoot a zed in the head it becomes marked, causing it to take more head damage from all sources and allowing you to see it through walls for 10 seconds. Can only tag one zed at a time, and it will favor stronger zeds when applying new tags.

Keep em Coming: Only an Amateur suffers battle fatigue, you just keep on going. Each successive headshot applies a 5% reload speed bonus, up to 25%. Any shot that does not hit a head removes the bonus completely.

And of course the Zed time skills which should actually be fun:

Sonic Boom:
Do you hate slow motion bullets? This is the perk for you! Zed Time projectiles go 3x faster. (Even faster than the Commando bullet speed perk)
The Shot Heard Around the World: Ever wanted to assassinate a President? Well, Scrakes are the same thing really. Your first bullet fired during zed time will do 400% damage. (The KILLSHOT! Now you can inflict a JFK-sized head wound on some unlucky zed)

Now that I've hijacked the thread to thrust my own ideas down everyone's throats, hopefully I'll see one of these skills in the game once sharp comes out, and get a nice fat sense of self-satisfaction.

Upvote 0
Even if these aren't final, I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that they're close to what we'll actually get. In fact, I'm going to go through each skill and explain my opinion because I'm legitimately that salty about this absolute rubbish skill tree. Yes, I realize "it' isn't final," but what good does feedback do if it can't be taken into account after putting all the work into making a bad tree?

This entire skill tree is so poorly thought out, it's embarrassing. Some modder could have made one far superior. I can't believe this is from Tripwire themselves, especially after the excellent Gunslinger. Hell, both I and Oy the Destroyer (though there are a few of his I don't like) came up with much better alternatives, even if they aren't perfect. This had better not be even close to the real skill tree, and I say that in the most loving and caring way possible. I do aim to be constructive despite my being abrasive right now.

StationaryAim="Stationary Aim
StationaryAimDescription="10% more damage while stationary."
I translate this as "10% damage penalty for moving." Skills like this (of which there are more below) basically demand that you conform to a narrow playstyle in order to actually take advantage of the perk's power. I wouldn't harp on this as harshly if the affected component weren't as critical as damage; if it were 10% bonus to aim speed or something, then fine (though I still think it's boring).

When the hell are you ever going to be stationary in this game unless you're zerkwalling? Outside of zerkwalling, this skill will only impose superficial restrictions on you. If a skill makes you consciously make bad gameplay decisions you'd never normally make for the sake of some arbitrary parameter for a buff, it's a bad skill.

TriggerDescription="Shoot speed and movement speed increased by 10%."
This isn't inherently bad, but it isn't unique or interesting. These just feel like slight buffs to traits that could be passive. The skill doesn't add anything unique to the way the class is played, it doesn't change its role, and it doesn't elicit any hype for unlocking it. It's nothing like ZED Shrapnel, Leg Shots, etc.

As a matter of fact, this movement speed increase is completely opposed to the rest of the perks. It's an anti-synergy skill. What good does faster movement speed do if the game penalizes you with low damage for standing or not aiming in the other tiers? Besides, I'd argue that movement speed bonuses don't fit Sharpshooter to begin with; the problem is that ZEDs are too fast.

And what is meant by "shoot speed"? Fire rate? What difference will that make on the crossbow? The M14 is already semi-auto, so you'd think it would inherently fire as fast as you can pull the trigger. I don't know about the railgun, so maybe this would affect that, but I keep envisioning it also as a one-shot weapon like the crossbow. It seems like all it would do is cock the lever action marginally faster.

For the record, I think there are other classes that have boring perks, too, so don't think that pointing them out justifies Sharpshooter doing the same thing.

CrouchAim="Crouch Aim"
CrouchAimDescription="10% more damage while crouched."
Again, this just feels like a penalty for standing. It also doesn't make any sense whatsoever; accuracy would at least make sense, even if it wouldn't do much in reality. Unlocking this skill just feels like unlocking a handicap that you have to crouch now.

Stun="Stun"
StunDescription="30% more stun power with perk weapons."
This is about the only one that actually looks like it might unlock new utility for Sharpshooter. I'm assuming this means you'll be able to more quickly stun big ZEDs with body shots or whatever, so that at least gives Sharpshooter something new like On Perk. I can't pass final judgment on this until seeing it in action, though.

RhythmMethod="Rack 'em Up"
RhythmMethodDescription="Rack up the headshots: each consecutive headshot increases damage by 17% up to 68% with Gunslinger weapons."
I always thought Rack 'em Up seemed more like a Sharpshooter skill than a Gunslinger skill; still, I'm disappointed that so far it looks like the only difference is the percentages.

TacticalReload="Tactical Reload"
TacticalReloadDescription="Be cool. Be quick. Reload faster with perk weapons AND look more elite while you're at it."
I certainly won't deny, after playing around with the LAR and crossbow, that tactical reload would be extremely helpful. Still, I don't like how so many classes tie basic stat upgrades into perk slots that could do so much more for their respective playstyle. Reload speeds seriously just need to be passives across the board, unless it's for a class like demo perhaps, where reload speed could seriously elicit a meaningful choice between it and some other hypothetical skill.

Scoped="Scoped"
ScopedDescription="Recoil reduced 10%, headshot damage increased 10% when using scope or ironsights."
Recoil reduction when aiming is fine (though 10% seems too low), but again, I highly dislike damage being tied to this because it feels like a penalty to no-scoping. This perk, Stationary Aim, and Crouch Aim feel like one single perk stretched out to three skill tiers. They all do essentially the same thing: demanding that you play in a campy way. And all combined together, they just feel like a 30% passive that's being robbed out of the passive tree in order to make you play a certain way. It feels like the game holding your damage potential hostage unless you play the way it wants you to play.

I hate these three skills. It's almost like Tripwire want you to zerkwall.

AmmoPouch="Ammo Pouch"
AmmoPouchDescription="25% more ammo and grenades."
Well, this is certainly nice, but it isn't likely to compete with damage, even with the problems I mentioned. Still, I think it's sad that the only reason I got excited over this one is because Tripwire are so stingy with max ammo capacities, that taking this perk feels more like undoing a pointless nerf rather than getting a meaningful buff. I will admit that the LAR and crossbow don't have ammo issues so far, so maybe Tripwire are coming around on their skimpy ammo counts. Still, that makes this skill even less relevant.

Also, why the hell does sharpshooter get extra grenades, but demo doesn't?

ZTKnockdown="ZED TIME - Knockdown"
ZTKnockdownDescription="Headshots with perk weapons will knock down any zed."
Knockdown is a detriment to a Sharpshooter because it makes headshots harder. Why would you ever pick this?

ZTStun="ZED TIME - Stun"
ZTStunDescription="Headshots with perk weapons will stun any zed."
This is the clear choice if current weapon values don't change, but it's still bad for other reasons. I would like to point out that crossbow bolts already stun scrakes and fleshpounds outside of ZED time, and I can't imagine the Railgun will be any different. So, is this skill only for half the Sharpshooter arsenal? So the LAR and M14 can stun? Big whoop.

Also, there's already a Stun perk up there in the tree, anyway. Is selecting that skill not enough to cause stun on headshots outside of ZED time? And that's if the enemy you're shooting at doesn't outright die from all the headshot damage bonuses you can get. What's even going to survive long enough for either Stun or Knockdown to matter?

----------

As for how to fix all this, I think the number one issue is the combination of Stationary Shot, Crouch Shot, and Scoped. If these skills were changed to impart bonuses other than damage, I wouldn't have such as big a problem with them. As of now, this ridiculous conditional damage-withholding will ruin the flexibility of the class. Make the damage passive (not necessarily 30%) and make these skills give different bonuses.

At any rate, please just stop with these bland stat boosts skills. I want more skills like ZED Shrapnel and Leg Shots.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Now that I've hijacked the thread to thrust my own ideas down everyone's throats, hopefully I'll see one of these skills in the game once sharp comes out, and get a nice fat sense of self-satisfaction.

Because of the rhymey style you used that imitates TW's perk skill descriptions, I'll be surprised if I don't see one or two of them in the Sharp update :p

Upvote 0
why would i want to knockdown zeds as sharpshooter? just makes it harder to headshot. Also I would think that all SS weapons already stun on headshot, so what does this do? Just override the stun cooldown?

Zed time skills as usual are meh, was expecting something a little more exciting like an exploding headshot or something that would make all rounds have like a 50000% pen value while in zed time (call it magic bullet or something).

I'd say a choice between this and full speed fire rate and projectile velocity would make much more sense as zed time skills. Although I haven't play SS yet so idk if that'd be OP or not

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Another hype train derailed.

Another hype train derailed.

I am going to be really blunt with this. Why is it when tripwire is pressured into changing perks, they actually make the perks fun and unique, but when they come out with classes (Exeptions: Firebug and Gunslinger) they are a carbon copy of nearly every other class. I want variety and tough choices of picking my perks for optimal damage and fun, not, oh look another reload speed or ammo.

Firebug and gunslinger was a real treat to see, the perks were unique and spoke to the classes skillsets. You had Zed Shrapnel for Firebug and Gunslingers leg shot abilities that added that nice icing on the cake that no other classes could do. This alone made them fun and satisfying to pull off and strive to rank up to get those perks.

Tripwire please, stop playing it so safe with this game, make skills crazy, flashy, hell, even near OP, they can be dialed back later and tweaked. Stop teasing us with skills that are bland stat boosts instead of interesting new gameplay mechanics.

This is my general opinion of this topic and also if this is the actual perk set being put into the game, even if not, I still stand by what I have said. More wacky, less tacky.

Upvote 0
I am going to be really blunt with this. Why is it when tripwire is pressured into changing perks, they actually make the perks fun and unique, but when they come out with classes (Exeptions: Firebug and Gunslinger) they are a carbon copy of nearly every other class. I want variety and tough choices of picking my perks for optimal damage and fun, not, oh look another reload speed or ammo.

Firebug and gunslinger was a real treat to see, the perks were unique and spoke to the classes skillsets. You had Zed Shrapnel for Firebug and Gunslingers leg shot abilities that added that nice icing on the cake that no other classes could do. This alone made them fun and satisfying to pull off and strive to rank up to get those perks.

Tripwire please, stop playing it so safe with this game, make skills crazy, flashy, hell, even near OP, they can be dialed back later and tweaked. Stop teasing us with skills that are bland stat boosts instead of interesting new gameplay mechanics.

This is my general opinion of this topic and also if this is the actual perk set being put into the game, even if not, I still stand by what I have said. More wacky, less tacky.
+1000000000000000000000000000000

This man speaks the truth. Heed his words, ye gods of Alan.

Upvote 0
The most important thing here is that we're offering Sharpshooter 10% bonus movespeed despite being a high-DPS perk.

Same issue, over and over. Game Conductor boosting zed speed, knockback against players, more than half the perks at current getting movespeed bonuses - completely destroying variety and balance in the game.

If this is legit, then I'm appalled.

Upvote 0
The placement of these skills makes no sense. You can essentially grab a damage upgrade in every tier except the ZED time skills. I'm glad Oy is dropping his skills down, especially his zed time skills, because that is how you add variety between perks. How many perks must have zed time stuns and knockdowns? Zed time dependent game-changers feel like gimmicks to me. And god forbid that the sharpshooter is the only perk that can have more than 5 grenades when the demo and support cannot. I hope so much that this is a rough draft of the skill tree.

Upvote 0
I might as well throw in some of my favorite of the skills I made, too.

Featherweight Holster- Don't get caught with your pants down. Carry any weapon that weighs 3 pounds or less for 0 weight cost. * Only applies once

Strategic Beheading- Cut the head off, and the snake will die! A successful decapitation kill on a medium tier ZED or above will cause nearby small and medium ZEDs to panic or stumble.

Mutually Assured Decapitation- Taking melee damage adds a stack of MAD. Each stack adds 15% extra headshot damage and 10% extra stun power; firing removes a stack. Up to 5 stacks at a time.

Preemptive Strike- Headshots on a docile (i.e., not enraged) enemy deal an extra 30% damage and 50% extra stumbling/knockdown power.

I like Oy's ZED time skills, but here is my take of them:

High Velocity Ammunition- No more having to lead your shots. All bullets travel at triple speed in ZED time and all headshots guarantee a stun.

Speed Loader- Your currently equipped weapon instantly reloads when ZED time hits, and you can reload 60% faster during ZED time (particularly useful with one-shot weapons like the crossbow).

Last edited:
Upvote 0