• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Sharpshooter Dual 9mm's ammo

ChotaH

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 17, 2015
Hey TWI and KF2 community,

I ask and suggest a slight, simple and cheap Sharpshooter perk tweak, for I consider it the less dexterous perk for self-defense in the game by now, but it is still kind of enjoyable and useful on some maps.

Since single Spitfire is made crossperk Sharpshooter weapon (which actually doesn't make much sense to me), it weights 2 slots, and holds 198 rounds I suggest to give Sharpshooter at least same amount of rounds for Dual 9 mm's, which weights also 2 slots, but holds only 90 rounds, 105 with Always Prepared, which is not enough especially in HoE, and it thereby has not much sense buying it (just for uprgrading to larger mag size from 15 to 30).

This could help with more sustainable self-defense against weaker crowds, while Sharp can save more powerful ammo for tougher encounters with the primary weapon loaded and ready to use, avoiding situations being dry after killing few dispersed Zeds and suddenly getting stuck for example, by crowd of stalkers.
It would be also a good tribute to KF1 Sharpshooter, while not messing the KF2 game balance noticeably.
I also see plus in some more favorable weapon combinations, like for instance Xbow/Railgun/M99 with Dual 9mm (1/30) and get unattached of using M14 or FN FAL most of the times.

But most of all, I believe it would be very enjoyable for experienced Sharps!

It is up to devs choice if to make this available independent on Perk Skill or make it a part of Always Prepared.

Thank you for considering.

Best wishes.

Thing is, if you buff the reserve for akimbos (and only akimbos) the expectation from the playerbase will soon follow that it would be buffed for all akimbo pistols, which I don't think Gunslinger needs; they have enough crazy powerful tools as it stands.

That said, I usually don't have ammo issues even on Sharpshooter but that's also because my preferred loadout is (M14 + FAL w/ RLLRR), so with Always Prepared running out of ammo has never been an issue unless I literally had to carry a late-game round for most of the wave.

My main problem with it would be that it makes early game even easier for Com/SWAT/Gunslinger/Sharp. But then again, I probably wouldn't care if there were a couple extra clips in reserve for everyone at base level; it's not like anyone outside of the previously mentioned cases really uses the 9MM. Maybe Medic if you were trying to econ early game.

Upvote 0
Thing is, if you buff the reserve for akimbos (and only akimbos) the expectation from the playerbase will soon follow that it would be buffed for all akimbo pistols, which I don't think Gunslinger needs; they have enough crazy powerful tools as it stands.

That said, I usually don't have ammo issues even on Sharpshooter but that's also because my preferred loadout is (M14 + FAL w/ RLLRR), so with Always Prepared running out of ammo has never been an issue unless I literally had to carry a late-game round for most of the wave.

My main problem with it would be that it makes early game even easier for Com/SWAT/Gunslinger/Sharp. But then again, I probably wouldn't care if there were a couple extra clips in reserve for everyone at base level; it's not like anyone outside of the previously mentioned cases really uses the 9MM. Maybe Medic if you were trying to econ early game.

Well, that's what I am talking about. Your prefered loadout is M14 and FAL, because it's the most suitable combination for KF2 needs, also for the ammo, but it's getting boring going for this weapons all of the times. Giving Sharp more ammo to 9mm's can help with better ammo management and better combinations. I find it very handy for headshoting dispersed trash, while I have a full mag ready in my primary weapon for more dangerous hordes or big zeds.
This isn't quite a case on default Containment station hold, but when your team isn't that skilled and you want to carry them, it would make some difference for skilled players.

And about this:
"Thing is, if you buff the reserve for akimbos (and only akimbos) the expectation from the playerbase will soon follow that it would be buffed for all akimbo pistols, which I don't think Gunslinger needs; they have enough crazy powerful tools as it stands."

I don't quite get how you come to this opinion...

Upvote 0
I'm quite torn on this idea, but truth be told, I only have one argument against it : the sharpshooter is MEANT to be weak at self-defense. Up until a certain point, both the sharp and the demo were based on the core idea of being "glass cannons/nukers". Meaning they were absolutely devastating against single priority targets (usually the big zeds), but powerless against crowds of trash zeds. Then Tripwire began giving more and more weapons to them and the idea got flushed down the toilet... Meh.

Thus, a semi-argument against it would also be that well... The sharp is well-prepared to deal with close-encounters now. The LAR is cheap and not that heavy, making for a good secondary weapon against smaller zeds. For more firepower and a lighter gun, albeit more expensive, you got the .500 magnum. Pretty much my go-to sidearm whenever I play the sharpshooter. And finally, if you're one of those people who prefer to play the mobile marksman rather than the camping one, the M14 and FAL are arguably good enough to use at close-to-medium ranges as well.

But then again... Would it really ruin the perk to have more 9mm ammo?

Hell, back in the day, the 9mm had much more reserve ammunition already! Albeit weaker, it made the 9mm a proper sidearm for the perk that needed it most. Because now, even when upgraded, it's quite common to run dry with the weapon you should be using PRECISELY when you run dry... And so, what you do then? Fight with your knife? Run around until you find a box of ammo? Considering the Sharp got a headshot bonus, it would make sense for it to maximize it with more ammo, instead of "overkilling" smaller zeds.

And as you pointed out, it makes very little sense for two pistols to share the same ammo pool. Having two of them should increase your overall reserves, even if it's not doubled.

As for people expecting the gun (or all pistols) to get more ammo for ALL perks... I don't get how Onion got that idea? The 9mm is the ultimate crossperk weapon, while most pistols are Gunslinger tools. They don't have to follow that specific rule, which could be only applied to the 9mm. And that rule doesn't even need to be applied to the other perks either ! "But it's a crossperk" I hear you say...And? Most crossperked weapons don't behave identically across perks. Usually because they got specific skills. So I really don't get why it couldn't have more ammo in the hands of the Sharpshooter, and in his hands only.

Upvote 0