• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Shameless Plug for Mare Nostrum

because assuming a mod was happy giving their work over to bolster the content of what is essentially a competitor in the first place, in this case you would still have to re-texture and re-code the vehicles anyway - a fair amount of work in i

Be nice if all the tanks/guns could be "plug n play" in maps, but after reading this forum i can see how complicated it can get.

Question: Was the Renault R35 ever used Africa? :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Perhaps bythe free French? I haven't read about them personally but do know that they fought some battles with distinction. Maybe somebody has read about them?

I think the Vichy french had some R35s ( among other tanks including FT17s !) some of which fought against the US in the few skirmishes that followed Torch. And the Free French had some from Syria, and I recall having read about S35s somewhere too...
I'd kill (well, maybe not...) for S35s in any game... Or B1Bis... :(

Upvote 0
Actually got onto a server with about 12 or 14 guys playing MN last night. Lotz of fun for me. Tough to find servers with more than a half dozen guys playing. More folks should be downloading this game and giving it a go. I have never been much for the infantry fights in RO, but I loved using the Enfield and actually got to the point where I was hitting what I was aiming at :D

I love the PzKwII, Valentine and Matildas. Excellent work!! I'd love to see some the British cruiser tanks represented.

Can't wait to see the Honey's and Italian panzers make an appearence. Makes me wanna do a Battleaxe or Crusader tank map. What about the short barreled 50mm on PzIIIs. Such a prevelent gun in the 1941 - 42'ish panzer IIIs, yet it's not in RO.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Actually got onto a server with about 12 or 14 guys playing MN last night. Lotz of fun for me. Tough to find servers with more than a half dozen guys playing. More folks should be downloading this game and giving it a go. I have never been much for the infantry fights in RO, but I loved using the Enfield and actually got to the point where I was hitting what I was aiming at :D

I love the PzKwII, Valentine and Matildas. Excellent work!! I'd love to see some the British cruiser tanks represented.

Can't wait to see the Honey's and Italian panzers make an appearence. Makes me wanna do a Battleaxe or Crusader tank map. What about the short barreled 50mm on PzIIIs. Such a prevelent gun in the 1941 - 42'ish panzer IIIs, yet it's not in RO.

I agree with all you say - mare nostrum is class it typifies all i love about RO: quality bolt action rifles and quality early war tanks.

anyway - this the kinda thing you're lookng for jeff, the PIII ausf J with short 50?

p3jfrontrightsm.jpg

p3jrearleftsm.jpg

I've offered this to MN team and it will hopefully be implemented in the future - though with Ro's PIII-L as a stopgap it's not going to be a priorety when there are other more distinctive vehicles to introduce first.

The great thing about the PIII is though - asides from it's abundance and classic looks - is the armour and armourment options in the series allow to some extent for fine tuning of tank map balance, which is why there will be a long 50mm special version too ( but lacking the L's extra armour.)

The J is a by-product of this...
p3nfrontleftsm.jpg

p3nrearrightsm.jpg

.. i origionally wanted a N version to give the gers inf support in CA maps from mid war onwards in RO.
Also abundant in N africa it will hopefully get to the mod at some stage, but again, with the p4 f1 I imagine it's not going to be high on the agenda.

I think a usefull model would be the G thou - with it's lighter armour and short 50 ( or even 37mm presuming any had this calibre in africa?) - this would fit in nicely between the pII and more powerfull later ger armour in MN.
However I think the model will need quite a lot of re-jigging from these later versions with their longer hulls and many other differences - might be easier to start from scratch.
This project is on pause as I work on other stuff -

I've got plenty more tank models 90%+ finished like these, but a completed exterior model only represents about 10% of the total work to implement a tank in game, and it's the fun fast moving bit so dont get too excited...

Upvote 0
Hi Dogdodger:

Great work there.

Yes, I am thinking of the PzIIIG and\or H with the 5cm KwK L42 main gun. Very prevelent panzer at the Crusader Battles as well as Gazala and El Alemein.

I presume what you are saying is that there is much more to introducing a new tank than simply taking existing vehicle files and tweaking the armor and ballistic imputs. What about when it is just a main gun change and a bit less or bit more armor. So I couldnt just take the exisiting MN or RO PzKW IIIs with the long barrel 5cmL60 and tweak the armor and gun ballistics such that I now have a PzKWIIIG or H with a short barrel 5cmL42?

Best Regards
JD

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Basically you can just change the code side to make a new tank, but obviously the visuals won't match. With regards to P3 variants they can all use the same existing interiors but need new exterior meshes.

So therefore you need to edit the existing model/uv/texture/animations or create a new one and import it into the editor and adjust the code and you have a new tank. Obviously depending on how different the tank looks/acts determines the difficulty of this. (A new barrel wont need new collision mesh etc..) :)

Upvote 0
Hi Dogdodger:

Great work there.

Yes, I am thinking of the PzIIIG and\or H with the 5cm KwK L42 main gun. Very prevelent panzer at the Crusader Battles as well as Gazala and El Alemein.

I presume what you are saying is that there is much more to introducing a new tank than simply taking existing vehicle files and tweaking the armor and ballistic imputs....

actually i was refering to working from scratch as opposed to editing existing vehicles -

As sam points out other than having the ability to do so there is nothing much to adjusting the armour values and penetration of different shell types in the code - a very quick and efficent way of producing at the very least an accurately perfoming stop gap, which in the case of the pIII luckily is not dramatically different physically.

I was refering to my exterior models being a fraction of the work required- both regards time and range of skills, much of which is phaps a less enjoyable task and fast moving task than making the model itself.
I was pointning it out in case ppl were expecting to see this tank in action any time soon...

However in the case of this tank i think the effort will be eventually worth it -
If i was making an ausf N for little extra effort i may as well make at least another late model, in spite of the presense of the L, not least because it really is a fav of mine.

Never one to knock RO and it's content (but i guess i'm about too) of there are a few issues i have with the current L version -
the front sprocket is typical of the earlier models, i'd like to see one with the more common late setup.

And i'm not convinced of in the use by the driver of what i understood to be a maintanance hatch. Unfortunately this leaves the driver with a much reduced sit awareness, as i dont believe there was a periscope, but so be it - i guess the driver will have to rely more on his commander.

As Sam points out the interior models should all be shared, but regards the exteriors-
By adding or removing a few simple pieces from the N version you can potentially represent any model from L42 J onwards - with the exception of ones fitted with schursen ( can't be arsed - too much work + too many tri's) and the flamepanzer (open a whole new can of worms here) - but i do think the J short and long is the best bet.
It was by some margin the most abundant varient and frankly with the absence of the extra armour plate on hull and mantlet the best looking of all versions IMO.

Sadly though your G/H versions cannot be made by simply changing gun barrels or adding armour plates to hull and mantlet.
as im sure your aware there are many differences - with the J came, for example, revised engine access hatches, thicker tracks and new sprocket/idler (thou i think the H also had these making it an awkward) and a slightly lengthend hull.
The the extensive reworking phaps wont save that much time over starting from scratch.
I would be tempted to make a G over H - there were twice as many made, featured 6 months earlier and a relative handfull carried the 37mm - though as i said before (and would appreciate any info here) not sure how many if any made their way to to Russ or N africa before being re-armed.
Also if you had an L42 J already the H offers less difference as the armour protection is somewhat similar.
I agree G would be great for MN and RO as well as the L is too powerfull for early maps
But enough - they are on hold for now so it's not an immediate issue.

mind you, however my pIIIs turn out they will never hold a candle to this one

Upvote 0
Thanks for your answers Psycho Sam and DogBadger.

Now for something completely different -- OK I was playing MN the other night. I guess there were about half a dozen of us humans playing and perhaps 8 or 10 bots supplementing things. I don't recall the name of the map, but it had two MkIIIs and a MkII panzer and Matildas and a Vickers tank on the Allied side. Lotz of Italian Bots running around.

I got into a PzIII and found a good hull down position and was merrily plinking away at British tanks when suddenly an Italian bot jumps into my tank and starts driving willy-nilly around the map -- that is until he suceeded in getting us both toasted by a British Matilda.

Ok -- I just need to get a bit further from the frickin' botz -- or hose um' down with my coax before they hop into my tank. I find another firing position and am merrily plinking away when low and behold another Italian robot jumps into the tank and startz driving around willy-nilly until we both die a miserable twitching burning death.

I got so irritated I had to leave. Can I keep the bloody Botz out of my tank? If so how? If I can't keep them out, can I command them to take their frickin' virtual foot off the virtual gas peddle? :mad:

Last edited:
Upvote 0