• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Sound SFX (not Music) Modding Help

Maruhai

FNG / Fresh Meat
May 3, 2015
Hello, today I decided to try my hand at some Sound Modding for Killing Floor 2, after reading a Song Modding tutorial found on Steam, replacing songs became very easy.

However SFX modding seems to be much more complicated. I want to replace the appear sounds for Scrakes and Flesh Pounds in particular. I went in their WwiseDefaultBank txt files and located the corresponding .wem IDs for the sounds I want to replace, however I realised afterwards that these .wem files are not in the same folder as the Musics, and I cannot seem to find them.

Any help?

They are most likely embedded inside the bank files with the zed's name, the sound you want is probably *ZED*_Appear_Distant to edit it you'd have to do a binary edit of the bnk file to insert your own wave (gl with that :p, maybe you are lucky and its a plain wave save, but most likely it's their own encoding like they use on the wems), OR rebuild the bnk file from scratch (gl with that too, but it may be easier for a total conversion)

The bnk files are have a format version 58h, the oldest authoring tools on the wwise site save to that format, so grab it before they obsolete it and remove it from their site.

In both cases probably, you will need to reverse engineer the format of the file, online I found one document, but it explains a format from 2012 (so a bit old, some stuff has changed and you'll have to figure out on your own), if you find/build a tool that extracts the data from these files feel free to post it.

Upvote 0
UE games aren't modded by overwriting content. This (replacing/modifying sounds) is really more of a programming issue, not a hack/reverse engineering one.
1. Find the class responsible for playing the sound.
2. Make the changes you want in a duplicate/subclass.
3. Write a check-replacement function to load your new class instead of the old one.

You end up with a mod that can be user toggled off/on and doesn't break the game for multiplayer.

Upvote 0
well, that would work if you know ue programming, but isnt that a mutator? (idk, first time modding ue) and doesnt that break the game on multiplayer? (I read mutators have to get whitelisted and stuff)

MOD delete that post that is up for verification? that was intended as a PM :/ 7 months later and the post was still up, thx mods! :(

Last edited:
Upvote 0