• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Server Subscribe to SteamWorkshop

I think Tripwire needs to do some work on this whole SteamWorkshop issue. We run many KF2 servers with Stock maps and maps from the Steam Workshop. What I notice is that there have been maps that I have subscribed to, then add to our KF2 servers and everything is fine for awhile. Some of those maps, for whatever reason, have been removed from the Steam Workshop. We don't know this and the only hint we get that something is wrong is if I or my buds select one of the maps that has been removed, we can play it since we already have it, BUT.... we notice that those that were playing with us drop out. They can't download the map since it has been removed from Steam Workshop. Once I have an indication that something is not right, I go and check the Steam Workshop and find the map is no longer there. So, I have to go in and edit all my server files to remove those offending maps.

There has to be an easier way to keep up with this. It a great idea that still needs several kinks worked out. Authors need to keep on top of any changes that may affect their maps with the new releases. It is getting very frustrating that many authors drop the maps/mods in to the Steam Workshop and then forget about them.

Please, for the sake of all of us, have a look in to how this can be solved please.

Upvote 0
Tripwire can't do nothing for mapper who remove their work from workshop (and so disallowing people from downloading the map as it does not exist anymore on the download source, the workshop^), but I agree with you that the whole workshop thing for server is really minimalistic and need more work to be admin/users friendly. Currently if a map fails to update for unknwown reasons we have to face the problem to see it (making a full server go empty in the process) and then fix it with Ducky's tip above... There should be a minimal interface from the webadmin, to visually see workshop installed maps, to avoid editing config files manually to allow the maps to be played, and globally to manage them from the webinterface like what Marco did with a mutator (if at least this mutator was whitelisted :D)

Upvote 0
it's awesome
o.png

Upvote 0
Ducky's post on how to fix issues with maps did solve an issue with one of the maps I was having an issue with. Thx Ducky........ "tossing bread crumbs in to the pond"!

I do, however, suspect that this issue will arise time and time again until the whole problem of what is lacking in communication between the WorkShop and Servers is straightened out. It needs to be as simple as KF1 was with Re-direct and NOT having to flush and purge files to fix a problem. The whole reason for the KF2 Steam WorkShop was to have a simple way to have custom content in the game and on the servers. Plz fix it!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Can someone explain what would happen in this scenario for please...

My server is subscribed to a workshop item. It is installed correctly on the server update status is 4. The cache file is present with all correct mod files within.

NOW.... if a player connects to the server will he/she automatically download the workshop item content if not subscribed to it? Or would I have to have files available on redirect http site also?

Upvote 0
Resurrecting a semi-old thread here.

For some reason one of my custom maps, Tiny Town, has recently suffered the Version Mismatch issue on seemingly all servers. I recently re-uploaded a newer version 1.2a of it, but somehow the workshop keeps downloading the old 1.2 no matter what I do. I tried re-uploading it 4 times but it's no use, it constantly installs the old 1.2 and causes mismatch errors.

Ducky's method worked though, but that's a seriously cumbersome procedure to have to go through for server admins.

Reactions: ®omano
Upvote 0
If you properly subscribed the server to an item, and properly enable workshop as first download manager, you're good clients should download. http://wiki.tripwireinteractive.com/...op_For_Servers

I have found the above statement not to be true. My custom server is setup properly in accordance to the wiki. As far as necessary that enable the player to join the server yes. Which are downloaded to client directory (..Documents\My Games\KillingFloor2\KFGame\Cache).

For the custom content to be visible by my players the content needs to go into the (..Documents\My Games\KillingFloor2\KFGame\Published\BrewedPC) Having said that!

Herein lies the problem. I have a workshop item that supports my custom content. The only way players see the content is by manually subscribing to it on workshop. It is not automatically done or downloaded to proper client directory just because the workshop item exists and the server is subscribed to it.

Also if anyone knows how is it possible to have separate directories?! I have seen some workshop content with multiple directories. like Brewedpc, Weapons, Maps with other files in the numbered workshop folder. Is there a certain procedure to achieve this? If so how is it done and is their a way to put content above the Published directory in Localisation/INT?

Thank you for any help or info regarding these questions in advance. ;)

b_350_20_000000_000000_12FD1A_F80D0D.png

Upvote 0
Removing Payment Feature From Skyrim Workshop
We're going to remove the payment feature from the Skyrim workshop. For anyone who spent money on a mod, we'll be refunding you the complete amount. We talked to the team at Bethesda and they agree.

We've done this because it's clear we didn't understand exactly what we were doing. We've been shipping many features over the years aimed at allowing community creators to receive a share of the rewards, and in the past, they've been received well. It's obvious now that this case is different.

Upvote 0