• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Code Server-side modding

Is it too early in the like of KF2 to be looking into writing a server-side mod that would do nothing more than keep track of what is happening on the server and either logging it to a file or opening a UDP port and streaming it to a remote daemon that puts it into a database?

I can't seem to find any info about what functions are available to a mod that would allow it to gather game information (list of players, what map is active, wave stats, etc). Does an API just not exist yet?

Yeah, the game server collects stats to the binary directory on the server and sends them to an AWS cloud server at the end of each round, but then it deletes the file. It looks as if the stats gathered (by the entries in the error logs) are for either centralized tracking of perk progress or for gathering of game statistics so that they can tweak game difficulty/balance and for debugging purposes (like Firefox wanting to keep anonymous usage statistics or something like that).

My first concern is forcing the server to log information about the players and what they have been doing on my server. Right now if a player came to me and told me that a griefer showed up, changed to their knife, and only slashed at other players until he died on HoE, I wouldn't have any way of finding out what that player's IP/Steam_ID/Unique_Net_ID was, let alone see any proof in the logs that confirm that player's account of what happened.

I was hoping to write a quick mod that would log this info and that it would be up for consideration as a whitelisted mod as early as possible. Maybe Tripwire will add a logging feature to the servers that is accessible to admins somewhere other than just the web interface for that game later, though.

Upvote 0