• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server 'server not responding', no one can join my serv, help?!

Sgt Jigglebelly

Grizzled Veteran
May 15, 2009
Hey guys,

I'm wondering if you guys can help me with my server problem. All correct ports are forwarded, everything is set up correctly as far as I can tell, and I can join on my LAN. However, anyone that tries to join through internet, whether by the browser or by joining on me through steam friends, gets the message 'Server Not Responding'. I can't figure out what would be left to fix... don't know what's causing this. Any ideas?

OS on the server machine is Windows XP 32

ini file is default except difficulty is set to normal, long game

Last edited:
bumping shamelessly - it's still telling people this that try to join my serv by joining on me, since they can't see it in the internet games browser... - behind NAT set to true or false...

i just can't see what's causing this... other games' dedic. serv's don't have this problem, so i know it's not necessarily on my end... help guys?

Upvote 0
ok, this is my final try and update, and final bump i guess

i tried completely disabling the firewall, opening some additional ports, turning off my virus protection, and behindNAT true and false...

the server is visible on LAN, and visible in the Internet browser for me, but other people that I ask can't see it, and when they try to join it, it tells them the 'server is not responding'

i guess if no one knows anything else i could try, then i give up. i just can't host my own server for this game, sucks big time :(

Upvote 0
anyone who wants to try connecting, i will start it up this evening when i get back and then message you on steam - thanks for the help all

and i guess we can try the external ip thing too.

i just can't think of what could be causing this...

i would say it's because i'm on a campus t3 connection EXCEPT for the fact that I was able to host servers for FEAR combat, that often stayed full with various random players, and the pings were excellent - so i know it's not that - servers will work and work VERY well here... if indeed i can get them to work...

but yea, i'll contact you on steam after i'm off of work

LATER EDIT: what is a dmz server? someone recommended this to me as a last resort... i have a comp that i can afford to 'risk' with this if there is some risk involved, which the recommender also mentioned. help?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A DMZ is where you configure your router to open all ports to all traffic and forward it to the IP address of your computer. i.e. put the machine in the Demilitarized Zone.

You don't have that ability because you don't control the network/router.

In fact, that sort of suggests right there what the problem is...you can't forward ports. How are you able to mess with the router if it's on the university network?

Upvote 0
well, techinically, I'm not then I guess - I'm just opening things up in the firewall, which made all this possible on the LAN, but maybe that's it... I can't host games where I have to open ports and junk on the 'router' (not behind a router in my apt since it's on the campus t3 connection), but since FEAR didn't require any of that, I guess that's why it worked...

so I'm SOL as long as I'm on campus as far as KF goes? or any UE 2/3 game for that matter I guess, since they're so sensitive to this kind of stuff?

my L4D server works on the campus connection... at least :eek:

Upvote 0
Same as a lot of other people

Same as a lot of other people

I just got this game on steam talked two of my friends into buying it hoping we could all play together, is not happening.

I have opened all the ports, even put it on a DMZ I have no anti-virus running and no software firewalls running. I am running a dedicated server on one computer and playing on another. I can see the game in the LAN tab but not the internet tab. I can join and play on the LAN no problems but no one else can join it, they can't see on the list and they can't join by IP either I am stumped, Been trying to get this to work for 3 days now. I know this has been asked over and over by other people but does anyone have an idea.

Upvote 0
I just got this game on steam talked two of my friends into buying it hoping we could all play together, is not happening.

I have opened all the ports, even put it on a DMZ I have no anti-virus running and no software firewalls running. I am running a dedicated server on one computer and playing on another. I can see the game in the LAN tab but not the internet tab. I can join and play on the LAN no problems but no one else can join it, they can't see on the list and they can't join by IP either I am stumped, Been trying to get this to work for 3 days now. I know this has been asked over and over by other people but does anyone have an idea.

are you on a college/university campus too like? trying to use their good T3 bandwidth while everyone is gone for the summer, like me? :p

if so that's probably why; we're being blocked somehow

other than that, don't know dude, sounds like we're in a similar boat

Upvote 0
ok, first of all, bump, because here's my latest:

i figured the campus was blocking something, so i took the server back home, set it up on a home desktop there, did the whole static ip and port forwarding deal, and i even forwarded the ports for ut2k4 as well just to be safe. left it up and running, got back to campus tonight, and lo' and behold, i can see the server in the server browser (Team Jiggle's Killing Floor! is the name). BUT, I cannot connect - it simply says 'connecting' and shows the ip for as long as i've let it sit there and try, which was several minutes... so, i got this far, but there must be one more thing holding me back - what would make it so that a server will advertise in the browser, but be 'unconnectable'? i forwarded all listed ports for kf, ut2k4, on both my router AND the firewall on the pc that's hosting... what else could be keeping it from working?

thanx for help, any and all

Upvote 0
I'd like to join your home server just to ensure that the issue's narrowed down to the campus setup.

Testing....

Edit.

I joined and so could you. :D

Time to consult with the 'campus network overlords' I suppose.

yea, if it would do anything, i sure as heck would

but those bastards would sooner slap another parking ticket on my car if i asked about them blocking certain things - like server hosting

so @#$% 'em lol

point is, now the server is up and running, and it actually works! look for Team Jiggle's Killing Floor in the server browser, and message me on steam if you would like to join team jiggle (just a casual friends steam group) to have some people to start a game with, and a dedicated server to play in. thanx for the help all

Upvote 0
Help?1?!

Help?1?!

Alright, I know this is an older thread but I'm having the same problem. I am not using any University network or anything like that. I'm trying to run it off my home-connection and it isn't working. I seem to have everything setup right and I can join but others cannot it displays as "Not responding" I believe all the ports are forwarded/open.

Upvote 0
wats my ip .com

wats my ip .com

Hey guys,

I'm wondering if you guys can help me with my server problem. All correct ports are forwarded, everything is set up correctly as far as I can tell, and I can join on my LAN. However, anyone that tries to join through internet, whether by the browser or by joining on me through steam friends, gets the message 'Server Not Responding'. I can't figure out what would be left to fix... don't know what's causing this. Any ideas?

OS on the server machine is Windows XP 32

ini file is default except difficulty is set to normal, long game

just add your server to favourites then add your ip to the server, to do this wright click on your server then edit ip put your ip in and reboot server :)
u will be able to send invites ect from steam also:: they can jion workes for me

Upvote 0