• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Server is going disk-drive crazy

dcreeper

FNG / Fresh Meat
May 5, 2011
I had to take down my server because it would not stop hammering my disk drive. (4 minutes of hammering, 2 minutes break, the back to the hammering - that's with NO players)

From the server log and disk usage, it looks like KF2 Server is repeatedly downloading maps to memory then comparing them with the one in the cache.
I can't think of any reason it needs to do this. (Use the UpdatedDate! If valve was too crazy to put in an updateddate - then make hashes of the maps and compare those so you don't hammer the disk drive so much - That would significantly reduce the hammering)

Even then - why does it do it every 2 minutes?? Can we get a config setting to control the update schedule? Personally I'd want it to do it once a day at most

Curious if there's any update on this or if I can provide anything to help with this as I am experiencing it as well. Currently running 3 servers from the same base files, one is not subscribed to any workshop maps and it does not exhibit the behavior while the two that have custom maps do.

Any info is appreciated!

Upvote 0
We have been looking into the current diskthrashing. It's tied to workshop use. It get's more severe the more your server is subscribed to on the workshop. One of theories we are looking at it that it is a knock on effect from the .u bug. Workshop .u files are not copied to the kfgame/cache directory. So if the .u in the user’s cache directory does not match the one in their steam directory, it never will unless they manually copy it. This may be causing the it to repeatedly validate over and over. We are currently working towards a hotfix with the .u fix included.

Last edited:
Reactions: n1ouk
Upvote 0
We have been looking into the current diskthrashing. It's tied to workshop use. It get's more severe the more your server is subscribed to on the workshop. One of theories we are looking at it that it is a knock on effect from the .u bug. Workshop .u files are not copied to the kfgame/cache directory. So if the .u in the user’s cache directory does not match the one in their steam directory, it never will unless they manually copy it. This may be causing the it to repeatedly validate over and over. We are currently working towards a hotfix with the .u fix included.
I have only maps subscribed on my server.

Upvote 0