• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Server Hardware Requirements for... ????

I would like to know kind of server I need to have a 32 player ROOST Server.

I have a business Cable High Speed Internet that runs wonderful pings for Quebec (or anyone around quebec).

Please let me know what kind of hardware

For example...
Can an AthlonXP2800 (462 barton) with 1gig of ram run 32 players ?
if not how many ?

Or do I need the latest most psychotic expensive hardware ?

Please Help

Edit... other question.

Lets say this for example.
Would a 16 player ROOST Server take MUCH more bandwidth then a 16 player cs1.6 server ?

Last edited:
first off, duel CPU wont help you in this game since the Unreal 2.5 engine doesnt make use of it.

Second we run a duel 2,8ghz xeon processor with 1 gb ram.
With a full 32 player server we run at 20-40 %20-30 for infantry maps and 30-40 for vehicle maps.

As to your original specs you may want a better CPU but by no means do you need the best of the best. Even the most high end computer will get lag in this game. Might be the memory leak in the files.

Upvote 0
Allright.... This sounds promising I am thinking about getting FIOS 30/5 service and I have a Intel 930 Dual core in theory it should be able to handle 32 players?

Asus P5WDG2-WS
3.0 Ghz Intel 930D
2 GB DDR 667
2 74GB WD Raptors

I am guessing The Dual Xeon 2.4 wouldn't cut it..

Supermicro P4DLR+
Dual 2.4Ghz Xeon (socket 603)
2 GB DDR 2100
4 SCI 9 GB hard drives

Upvote 0
malice said:
first off, duel CPU wont help you in this game since the Unreal 2.5 engine doesnt make use of it.

Second we run a duel 2,8ghz xeon processor with 1 gb ram.
With a full 32 player server we run at 20-40 %20-30 for infantry maps and 30-40 for vehicle maps.

As to your original specs you may want a better CPU but by no means do you need the best of the best. Even the most high end computer will get lag in this game. Might be the memory leak in the files.

You don't run 20-40%... you're misinterpreting the cpu usage because of hyperthreading and getting false results. I am using a Xeon 2.8ghz machine with 2gigs of memory and it indeed does exceed 100% cpu usage with even 28 players on certain maps. When I say it exceeds 100% I'm talking about one of the two processors will peak. Remember this server engine doesn't support MCPU so you could have 100 processors in it and it won't make a difference.

Furthermore the server engine code is total crap. I'd like to see this game on a more robust engine platform like EA's BF2, HL2, or even Xray.

Upvote 0
JettaGLI said:
Allright.... This sounds promising I am thinking about getting FIOS 30/5 service and I have a Intel 930 Dual core in theory it should be able to handle 32 players?

Asus P5WDG2-WS
3.0 Ghz Intel 930D
2 GB DDR 667
2 74GB WD Raptors

I am guessing The Dual Xeon 2.4 wouldn't cut it..

Supermicro P4DLR+
Dual 2.4Ghz Xeon (socket 603)
2 GB DDR 2100
4 SCI 9 GB hard drives

I would recommend any Intel 3.4+ghz if you're going with Intel and want 32 players. This engine is about having single CPU raw horse power not having, multi-pipeline, multi-cpu, multi-core blah blah blah. It would be interesting to see however how the new Woodcrest CPU performs on this engine however.

Upvote 0
woodcrest will be too expensive i guess.

but i hope we will switch in the next month to the conroe2-6600.

atm we have our rootserver on a amd-x2-3800 and its up to 90% cpu on tankmaps or arty, 32 players.

what you can expect is a ingrease in need of cpu-power for the slots 28-32.
thats what needs the really big machines i guess.

memory isnt the keyvalue. we have 2gig, but ro only uses 15% of it.

Upvote 0
aceto said:
woodcrest will be too expensive i guess.

but i hope we will switch in the next month to the conroe2-6600.

atm we have our rootserver on a amd-x2-3800 and its up to 90% cpu on tankmaps or arty, 32 players.

what you can expect is a ingrease in need of cpu-power for the slots 28-32.
thats what needs the really big machines i guess.

memory isnt the keyvalue. we have 2gig, but ro only uses 15% of it.

I tested an Intel 950D 3.4ghz last night and I think 32players can finally be done with this beast. Plays smooth as a babies butt and no insane crazy ping spikes or +100ms to all players on arty/vehicle maps.

Upvote 0