• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Semi Autos at close range

origination

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 30, 2010
Is it just me or are semi auto's very unpredictable at close range? At mid to long range I can nail targets without barely even trying 90% of the time. But constantly when I find myself in a close situation with an enemy charging toward me I find its about a 50/50 shot that my shots will register. I will see an enemy running up toward me who hasn't spotted me yet and is still sprinting, he will get really close and I start laying into him as he stops to pull his gun up, none of my shots to actually register and he blasts me away.

50% of the time I will drop them easy, the other times I lay about 6 shots on them and nothing happens. This again being withing 10m or so with the enemy coming straight at me. It tends to happen a lot to me with the semi auto.

Is it just me or are semi auto's very unpredictable at close range? At mid to long range I can nail targets without barely even trying 90% of the time. But constantly when I find myself in a close situation with an enemy charging toward me I find its about a 50/50 shot that my shots will register. I will see an enemy running up toward me who hasn't spotted me yet and is still sprinting, he will get really close and I start laying into him as he stops to pull his gun up, none of my shots to actually register and he blasts me away.

50% of the time I will drop them easy, the other times I lay about 6 shots on them and nothing happens. This again being withing 10m or so with the enemy coming straight at me. It tends to happen a lot to me with the semi auto.

I've been saying it since the first day of beta, but I just get called a whiner who can't aim ...

Upvote 0
It seems like this... but i think it is more because i panick when an enemey runs towards me.

Why would you panic when an enemy is running toward you? When they are in sprint mode they cannot fire. They have to take time to realize you are there, stop running, the animation for their weapon to raise back up must complete, then they must aim and fire at you. You should by that point have already loaded into them pretty well. You have plenty of time to just relax and take the shot you want. Now most of the time this should work out that way, but with the semi auto at this range for some reason there are those head scratcher moments when you know you hit them(you shot just as you shoot every other time) and nothing seems to happen to them.

Upvote 0
If an enemy is charging at you, I think its fair to say you will not aim the rifle and shoot at him calmly, you will instead spray from the hip, which is not accurate. You might think you shot him but you never really know.

Get a friend to test it out, make a video for proof and post it here.

By just saying "is it me or all axis troops can fly like faeries", without posting the video, you will only contribute to false myths being spread out, like the one we just saw about player collision.

Upvote 0

Have You seen this one
Guy Sprints pass you
you shot him in the back 10 m away 5 times
He stop turns 180 goes prone and fire 1 round in .2 secs and kills you :eek::eek:
But back to Close range Close range hit registration
it happens on almost all weapons
yes there is video
A guys made a post like 2 weeks ago with video
things that get you killed
Ping / Close range hit registration
weapon bug press fire nothing happens
weapon bug SMG press fire you fire 3 rounds weapons stops firing

Upvote 0
They have to take time to realize you are there, stop running, the animation for their weapon to raise back up must complete, then they must aim and fire at you. You should by that point have already loaded into them pretty well

From sprinting to standing still down the sight... isn't as long as you mention. Can be don in like .5 seconds or something.
I see a lot of Mkb'ers sprinting and shooting down the sight for a split second and then sprint again.
It's no call of duty, but it is done very quickly nevertheless.

Not a rant against mkb'ers btw, the same goes for every gun (even bolts). However mkb'ers do it more often (needs no explaining)

Upvote 0

It's the same with full auto weapons and it annoys me to no end as it promotes running and gunning even more.
I've missed even when the enemy was so close as to fill the entire screen!

It feels as if the hitboxes are the same size on any range so that you're essentially shooting at stick figures up close.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Why would you panic when an enemy is running toward you? When they are in sprint mode they cannot fire. They have to take time to realize you are there, stop running, the animation for their weapon to raise back up must complete, then they must aim and fire at you. You should by that point have already loaded into them pretty well. You have plenty of time to just relax and take the shot you want. Now most of the time this should work out that way, but with the semi auto at this range for some reason there are those head scratcher moments when you know you hit them(you shot just as you shoot every other time) and nothing seems to happen to them.

Immersion. I have little ability to suspend my disbeleif.

And i panik. I think sometimes i really dont want to kill people instinctively and i pull the shot.... i actually think i do this quite a bit by nature....even though it is a game.

Some kind of Altruism i am suffering.

id be the guy in the fetal postion in the crater crying into my helmet.

Still dosnt mean there isnt a Hit register bug.

Upvote 0
I pull shots from time to time when a close range targets suddenly jumps into view, but that doesn't mean that close range hit detection is reliable - because it simply isn't. There's no trick or knack to it from what I can see, shots simply seem to not register at close range fairly frequently when the shot is dead on the mark.

Upvote 0
Its actually TWIs and the serveradmins fault for all of this. The problem comes from the fact that servers are set to run at 20 ticks default. Compare that to UT3s 30 default and some ladders run at 35 even. I guess the reason for it is that we wouldn't have any 64 slot servers if it where higher, since there would be few servers that could run it.

But you can set it higher as an admin if you want and have the hardware to back it up. The game gets much more responsive and close combat dosent feel so random if you have it a bit higher. :)

Upvote 0