• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Semi Automatic Rifles and...

Good thing is that after this newest patch server admins can reduce the amount of certain classes, remove some weapons(the mkb42, for example).

Not exactly. All the admins can do is limit the weapon and class rank levels. This will remove the guns such as AVT40 and mbk42 but you will also lose your other unlocks such as the PPSH drum or the sight-hood removal.

Upvote 0
..why they have become a plague like no other.

The Semi-Auto Rifle, the missing-link between the 98k and the MKb. Yet it hasn't been treated as such. Semi Auto Rifles or SA Rifles for short, are far too common. Meaning that the lowly bolt-action is ignored apart from those few who enjoy the challenge and the satisfaction of killing someone with one, SA rifles bring no such joy, why? Because they require little to no challenge.

The fact that they can fire extremely quickly can create a wall of bullets, destroying someone at close range, medium range and at times even long range. Yet people are far too busy staring at the Assault Rifles, the (questionable) new addition to the game. Although Im not here to rant about those filthy Assault Rifles.

I am not from the RO1 generation, I first heard of RO2 in August and immediately joined up. Unfortunately I didn't foresee the class problems the game suffers from.

We see an Elite Rifleman class to stop Semi-Auto rifles becomming insanely common, yet not one for the Assault? Why don't we just get rid of the Elite Rifleman class? or better yet, remove the Semi Auto rifle and hand them a pistol. Im tired of going into a close range fight with a boltie or some other weapon, only to be obliterated by people filling their field of vision with as many bullets as possible.

Perhaps their should only be one Elite Rifleman per team and Squad leaders should lose their Semi-Autos for Bolt Actions?

It would be a lot better, it would also mean I could play Squad Leader without feeling cheap or being stuck with a PPSh that, past a couple of inches doesn't quite do the trick at range.

So ever so wonderful community, what is your say on the Semi-Auto Rifle? Is it too common? Is it just right? Remember, lets keep things intelligent and civil!

0536266AA45F2808453D5106CFE2FA1828E26353

^ I really don't see anything wrong, and most servers I have been going to in the last week have been much like the above, if not, more riflemen. 7 of the combined assault and semi autos, 8 Riflemen, there's still more riflemen than any other class. It could also just be some people's bad luck by taking the same routes the same guys with the same weapons keep taking, thus it seems that every time you turn the corner, you're shot by the same type of weapons.

The amount for each class is just fine for me, and most times, I'm Commander class, and I have to say that the PPSH is very effective at range.

Commander on Spartanovka, in amongst the destroyed buildings.... I prone up alone the wall of one, just in the cap zone, more of my team arrive behind me and we each cover a corner of the building, taking out any Germans that run through.

In the span of 2 minutes, I took out close to 10 germans on my side alone and most were three or four buildings away.... the spread wasn't so bad while burst shooting and one burst usually took one person down, if I was lucky, two.

But the main reason why I pick Commander most times, is simply because nobody else often picks it..... other times I'm either a rifleman or MG..... or when available, AT guy.

I have no issue with whatever weapon someone has in their hands..... if they see you before you see them, you're usually already dead, which is why you need to advance a bit, hold a position for a bit, secure it.... then move forward again and repeat. You're better off letting whatever bolty, semi, assault or MG guy come to you, rather you to them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As an aside, I think the squad leader is supposed to have an automatic weapon so that he can suppress for his squad.

Isnt suppression the job of Machine Gunner?

I stopped reading after "Close quarter bolts"...Come on, quit crying and use a bolt for what it was designed for. If you want to be Rambo, go to CoD or grab a SMG and use fire against fire.

No, if you want to Rambo, grab yourself MG34 and go nuts with it (http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=67527#8)

Good thing is that after this newest patch server admins can reduce the amount of certain classes, remove some weapons(the mkb42, for example).

Unfortunately, from what i gathered, ^^^ also means IF server admin changes it, server becomes unranked :(

Why cant we just yank give bolts instead of SA to everyone except Elite Rifle, and move on?

Upvote 0
I think that the game just needs a more historical aproach to the Platoon/Squads composition by that time ... squads are really small in this game compared to how it was and that is a problems , bolt's should be about 50% on the battlefield but is difficult if you have 5 squads for only 32 men ... that too many squads and too many squad leaders with SMG and autos and too many asaults ...

Examples about historical Platoon and Squads compositions for both sides in 1942 , maybe this helps to clarify what Im triying to say :

German Infantry Platoon (44 men) :

1 Platoon HQ
1 Pistol
1 SMG
2 Kar98

4 Squads
1 SMG
1 LMG
8 KAR98

German Jager Platoon (44 men) :

1 Platoon HQ .
1 Pistol
1 SMG
2 Kar98

4 Squads
2 SMG
1 LMG
7 KAR98

German Recon Platoon (28 men) :

1 Platoon HQ .
1 Pistol
1 SMG
2 Kar98

3 Squads
1 SMG
1 LMG
6 KAR98

Soviets had by that Time a lot of diferent variants for the infantry squads , those are only 3 of them .

Soviet Infantry Platoon (variant '41 org)(47 men) :

1 Platoon HQ
1 Pistol
1 SMG
1 MN

3 Squads
2 SMG
1 SVT
7 MN
1 LMG

1 Light Squad
2 SMG
1 SVT
8 MN

Regimental Recon Platoon (39 men)

1 Platoon HQ
1 Pistol
1 SMG
1 MN

3 Squads
3 SMG
1 SVT
7 MN
1 LMG

Soviet Infantry Platoon (variant '42 org) (39 men) :

1 Platoon HQ
1 Pistol
1 SMG
1 MN

4 Squads
1 SMG
1 SVT
6 MN
1 LMG

Platoon leaders were usually Liutenants , and squad leaders sergeants.

Oficial weapon for Platoon Leaders (commanders in RO2) was the pistol , wich doesn't means that can't ask for another weapon if the mission required it ... so they should can choose between SMG , auto or rifle .

Upvote 0
If I have a bolt action (rare) and have to go into a building I just charge with the bayonet and hope I will catch the enemy off guard. 70% of the time I manage a couple of stabs, occasionally I stab half a dozen enemies down. Hip firing 1 round and hoping to hit is not a good idea.
I hipfire as I'm closing in, then go straight to melee just in case I've missed or he's only bleeding out, in which case he can still spray me. Another good reason to use manual bolting.

Upvote 0
There's a reason people call the semi-autos "noob cannons". It's effective at all ranges.

Put Mkb/AVT in with G-41/SVT in the Elite class and there. It's really a pain when you have people take squad leader for the semi-auto shiny.
In RO1 the only member of the German team who got a semi was the squad leader (on many maps), the same problem happened because people would prefer a semi to a bolt action. Can't say I blame them - as the SL you got a 10 round rifle + a 7 round pistol + smoke grenades to get you access to pretty much any point.

Upvote 0
I stopped reading after "Close quarter bolts"...Come on, quit crying and use a bolt for what it was designed for. If you want to be Rambo, go to CoD or grab a SMG and use fire against fire.

Well then your input is invalid, take your hate somewhere else, I have said that the close quater bolts were stupid, but apparently some people cant read, now either give a valid and intelligent opinion or pipe down, this goes for all of you.

Upvote 0
I've only recently been picking up the semi-autos and they indeed seem to be pretty good :)

I think that this is also particularly because the map designs themselves seem to be favoring the medium / close ranges where they are the best at.

I don't know if they should be limited or not though.. I sort of think it's great that the SL's can pick up either SMG or semi-auto depending on the situation but it might be a tad bit too much.

As a side note, have you guys figured how do you get credited for kills with picked up weapons? I haven't really considered this but just came to my mind that you probably are getting the kills credited to the weapon you picked up ut I was wondering what this mean regarding class experience? Also if the bonuses / levels of the guns are applied if you pick them up or are they considered as level 0 if you pick them up?

Upvote 0