• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Semi Automatic Rifles and...

AmazingMilto

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 20, 2011
England
..why they have become a plague like no other.

The Semi-Auto Rifle, the missing-link between the 98k and the MKb. Yet it hasn't been treated as such. Semi Auto Rifles or SA Rifles for short, are far too common. Meaning that the lowly bolt-action is ignored apart from those few who enjoy the challenge and the satisfaction of killing someone with one, SA rifles bring no such joy, why? Because they require little to no challenge.

The fact that they can fire extremely quickly can create a wall of bullets, destroying someone at close range, medium range and at times even long range. Yet people are far too busy staring at the Assault Rifles, the (questionable) new addition to the game. Although Im not here to rant about those filthy Assault Rifles.

I am not from the RO1 generation, I first heard of RO2 in August and immediately joined up. Unfortunately I didn't foresee the class problems the game suffers from.

We see an Elite Rifleman class to stop Semi-Auto rifles becomming insanely common, yet not one for the Assault? Why don't we just get rid of the Elite Rifleman class? or better yet, remove the Semi Auto rifle and hand them a pistol. Im tired of going into a close range fight with a boltie or some other weapon, only to be obliterated by people filling their field of vision with as many bullets as possible.

Perhaps their should only be one Elite Rifleman per team and Squad leaders should lose their Semi-Autos for Bolt Actions?

It would be a lot better, it would also mean I could play Squad Leader without feeling cheap or being stuck with a PPSh that, past a couple of inches doesn't quite do the trick at range.

So ever so wonderful community, what is your say on the Semi-Auto Rifle? Is it too common? Is it just right? Remember, lets keep things intelligent and civil!

Krobar has an idea!

Take elite rifleman rename it Squad Leader, give it SL loadouts. Take SL rename it Sergeant take away Semi-auto and SMG (until higher levels... maybe) replace them with bolt, add smoke, grenades, and possibly binoculars. Some adjusting for number of classes may be needed, but there should be more Sergeants than SLs. Yes there is a diference between Sergeants and NCOs (SLs) in the Soviet army, not 100% sure about the German army.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_ranks_of_the_Soviet_Union#Army_and_Air_Force_Ranks
I know it wikipedia but this kind of stuff is usually more accurate than other things.

Also give "Elite Assault" weapons to commanders only, especially the MKb, to my understanding AVTs were made in larger numbers than the MKb, so those could be given to SLs too.

Upvote 0
Im tired of going into a close range fight with a boltie or some other weapon, only to be obliterated by people filling their field of vision with as many bullets as possible.
Better question: why are you willing to go into close combat with a bolt-action rifle? You should have looted a more appropriate weapon. No sane soldier goes into close combat with a bolt-action rifle unless he has a lot of friends around.

Reactions: Reise
Upvote 0
The G41 should not be used as a close combat fully atomatic rifle. Instead I use the Gewehr 41 as a weapon for advancing or defending objectives because of its ability to take out multiple enemies at medium range (This means aim and shoot, not pray and spray). It is also a werry good supporting weapon when assiting a MG gunner.
But mostly, its a damn sexy rifle.
Cheers!

Upvote 0
Better question: why are you willing to go into close combat with a bolt-action rifle? You should have looted a more appropriate weapon. No sane soldier goes into close combat with a bolt-action rifle unless he has a lot of friends around.

This.

Getting sick of hearing people whine about Semi Autos being too good. That's why they were developed in the first place, people.

Are they too numerous? Maybe. Just don't complain when you get gunned down because the guy has a mechanically superior weapon. Dust yourself off and rethink your strategy.

Upvote 0
I personally love the SVT, and to a lesser extent the AVT, which I keep on semi-auto constantly. Since I chase caps, it gives me the flexibility to engage in open combat while still being able to storm buildings.

What the OP seems to miss is that different weapons are appropriate for different situations. Yes it is possible to go into close combat with a bolt-action (I once held Building 81 solo for five minutes while bayonetting eight Germans — note the use of the bayonet as a surprise weapon instead of an inaccurate bolt-action hipshot!), but unless you have low ping/latency and amazing snapshooting skills, you are making it incredibly hard for yourself. Even when armed with a semi-auto rifle, when I am about to go into a building I still prefer to loot an MG3/Mkb/MP-40/PPSh as well as any pistols and grenades I find. At ranges like that, the only thing that matters is rounds downrange. Empty a weapon, drop it, transition to pistol, and keep plugging away.

I agree with the OP when he says that bolts should have a more central role in battle and that autos and semi-autos should be reduced, but to take a bolt-action into a 10-20m firefight and then complain about being destroyed by a hail of bullets is like complaining about sniper rifles because your SMG can't hit them (unless you're using an MP-40, of course :p).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

It generally works well for me, a mixture of speedy reaction with a spoonful of luck can do wonders...There are also the moments when trying to advance to a better position and then you stumble across an enemy.

Perhaps comparing the Bolt Action to something close range was a bit dim? Its the only thing a couple of people seem to be picking up, as the old saying goes "haters gonna hate". But at medium range, the sheer panic and the small fit that characters suffer when being shot at makes it hard to get a fix on them (Had an awful moment against a PPSh where the bullets dancing around my face made my sights jump like a gymnast, until a stray bullet hit me in the face). I also find the Semi Auto Rifle isnt inaccurate, at first it had some hit detection issues with the first bullet, but that seems to have vanished.

It seems weapon balance issues like these aren't addressed properly in communities like the Call of Duty series (The UMP was a disgustingly powerful weapon, one that made me stop playing the game all together.), due to people not wanting the exploit and advantage these weapons gave them. I hope we aren't going to go down the same road here...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It generally works well for me, a mixture of speedy reaction with a spoonful of luck can do wonders...There are also the moments when trying to advance to a better position and then you stumble across an enemy.
As I said above, it's possible to use a bolt in close quarters, but it's hardly ideal.

And the bayonet is what enemies tend to stumble into. :D

Upvote 0
As I said above, it's possible to use a bolt in close quarters, but it's hardly ideal.

And the bayonet is what enemies tend to stumble into. :D

Yeah I realised maybe the close range wasn't a good thing to mention, considering atleast the guns like the PPSh are tailored properly for CQC (Dat bullet spread). I actually unlocked the Bayo for the 98k today, it was fantastic.

Upvote 0
This is unfortunately due to the fact that servers have normalized class numbers no longer depending on a historical representation of what the map might have been (aside from tanks and such). I was hoping they'd still do that in RO2; i.e. design the amount of what unit exists on a map based on historical things. Now every map has snipers, where I found it a bit more fun in RO1 because not every map had them. The game is still great though, and mods should fix this for me eventually.

Last edited:
Upvote 0