• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Semi-auto snipers

Bat Guano

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 14, 2006
Is it just my bad luck or is the scoped SVT significantly less accurate than the Mosin sniper? I don't get to play sniper very often but the couple of times I've tried the scoped SVT (included a time or two picking one up from a fallen comrade) I missed shots I thought would be easy kills, based on experience with the Mosin sniper.

How about the scoped G43? I've never tried it.

Indeed, the semi-automatics are much more innacurate than the bolt-action versions, you can notice this easily when you make shots which seem perfectly good but you miss not once, but thrice or more. With the bolt-action you'd never miss this shot.

How this reflects on real rifles I do not know, I am sure there are some people here with thorough knowledge which they can share with us, it seems a little too "digitally adjusted" to me, not so real, but then again who am I to judge?

Upvote 0
From what i've read about the SVT-38 and SVT-40, they where less accurate than the Mosin's, exactly how much though, i'd leave that up to someone who actually owns one to tell us, i saw atleast a couple of guys had one in the thread with the milsurp pics, and allso had a Mosin, it'd be interesting to hear their opinion.

Upvote 0
Bat Guano said:
Is it just my bad luck or is the scoped SVT significantly less accurate than the Mosin sniper? I don't get to play sniper very often but the couple of times I've tried the scoped SVT (included a time or two picking one up from a fallen comrade) I missed shots I thought would be easy kills, based on experience with the Mosin sniper.

How about the scoped G43? I've never tried it.

with semi-auto weapon you easily wont aim so long as you do with a bolt action rifle. That's the biggest difference.

When you can shoot again almost instantly, this will make player shoot easily in situtations that you normally wouldnt try picking off enemy.

Upvote 0
I find the only advantage for the semi's are the higher rate of fire, it can be very good for Krasnyi when the germans are running for Garage from central, but id still prefer to have the good old bolt for accuracy, ecspecialy on maps like odessa when defending the tower and watching down the main street.
I think The G43 is alot less accurate than the SVT to be honest.

Upvote 0
The semi auto rifles *should* have the exact same bullet drop as their bolt action counterparts. It isn't like they use different ammunition. With the 7.92x57 and 7.62x54R cartridges, the differenence in barrel length doesn't make just about any difference since they have reached just about their max efficiency in a 24" barrel. So, in real life, the bullet drop should not be the same, but accuracy isn't anywhere near the same. The SVT and the G43 were not all that accurate of weapons. My guess is around 4 MOA or so, as opposed to the bolt action sniper rifles which were more around 1 MOA. So, at 200 meters, that is the difference between a 2" group and an 8" group. Big difference.

Upvote 0
When i am part of an actualy working squad (which happens very rarely on pub servers) I would play as the SVT scoped on maps like odessa. My part would be to hang back and provide percision cover, or to break clusters of enemy troops, so that they may become disoriented and easy targets. I dont use the semi-auto snipers on maps like Arad because the range isnt as great as the Mosin, and it isnt as accurate as the mosin (at greater ranges)

Upvote 0