Semi-auto snipers

• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Bat Guano

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 14, 2006
Is it just my bad luck or is the scoped SVT significantly less accurate than the Mosin sniper? I don't get to play sniper very often but the couple of times I've tried the scoped SVT (included a time or two picking one up from a fallen comrade) I missed shots I thought would be easy kills, based on experience with the Mosin sniper.

How about the scoped G43? I've never tried it.

The_Countess

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 24, 2005
The Netherlands
well one of the reasons real snipers still preferd the bolt action rifles for sniping is indeed because they are more accurate the the semi's
the semi was more a weapon for the squads marksmen/sharpshooter and not a actual 'sniper'.

Byte Me

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 9, 2006
Virginia, USA
SVT 40 is less accurate than the Mosin, sniper version or not. I sometimes hit enemies at close range with smgs better than the svt! It's weird, compared to the g43, the svt seems to have a very short distance. The bullet drop seems awfully fast.

FuSiOn

FNG / Fresh Meat
Dec 2, 2005
Miami, FL
one of the advantages of the svt sinper though is you dont have to botl after each shot so you can keep your eye on the target ;)

Valac

FNG / Fresh Meat
Oct 11, 2005
Both the SVT and G43 with scopes tend to be more accurate at shorter distances. If you spend enough time with the weapons, you will learn to compensate and then you will think the bolts are less accurate.

kabex

FNG / Fresh Meat
Feb 27, 2006
Mexico
Indeed, the semi-automatics are much more innacurate than the bolt-action versions, you can notice this easily when you make shots which seem perfectly good but you miss not once, but thrice or more. With the bolt-action you'd never miss this shot.

How this reflects on real rifles I do not know, I am sure there are some people here with thorough knowledge which they can share with us, it seems a little too "digitally adjusted" to me, not so real, but then again who am I to judge?

[CiA]Stiletto

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 22, 2005
I think the sight pictures for the semi-autos are just weird...like the POA is floating somewhere a couple of pixels above the front blades' tips, rather than right on.

As for the scoped rifles, I'm still trying to figure them out.

Recon

FNG / Fresh Meat
Apr 14, 2006
Semi-automatic weapons should really be more accurate than they are now. The mechanical action is only going to seriously affect the shot at very long ranges where little infantry combat takes place.

Grobut

FNG / Fresh Meat
Apr 1, 2006
Denmark
From what i've read about the SVT-38 and SVT-40, they where less accurate than the Mosin's, exactly how much though, i'd leave that up to someone who actually owns one to tell us, i saw atleast a couple of guys had one in the thread with the milsurp pics, and allso had a Mosin, it'd be interesting to hear their opinion.

Strigoï

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 17, 2006
Belgium
He's indeed less accurate then the Bolt one but he's better in city map by my opinion.If needed he also can be used in close combat,and that's what I like about the scoped SVT.

Drude

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 1, 2006
Finland, Helsinki
www.kt-va.org
Bat Guano said:
Is it just my bad luck or is the scoped SVT significantly less accurate than the Mosin sniper? I don't get to play sniper very often but the couple of times I've tried the scoped SVT (included a time or two picking one up from a fallen comrade) I missed shots I thought would be easy kills, based on experience with the Mosin sniper.

How about the scoped G43? I've never tried it.

with semi-auto weapon you easily wont aim so long as you do with a bolt action rifle. That's the biggest difference.

When you can shoot again almost instantly, this will make player shoot easily in situtations that you normally wouldnt try picking off enemy.

Matanga

FNG / Fresh Meat
Apr 18, 2006
Bolt action rifles are more accurate (compared to semi auto ones) because they have less moving parts.
That's why they are still prefferd as snipers even in modern armies (the m-24 used by the USA being an example)

I don't know how this was modeled on RO but I guess it was modeled some how....

King Ragnar

FNG / Fresh Meat
Dec 7, 2005
Newcastle, UK
I find the only advantage for the semi's are the higher rate of fire, it can be very good for Krasnyi when the germans are running for Garage from central, but id still prefer to have the good old bolt for accuracy, ecspecialy on maps like odessa when defending the tower and watching down the main street.
I think The G43 is alot less accurate than the SVT to be honest.

{2.SS}Bauer

FNG / Fresh Meat
Apr 7, 2006
The semi auto rifles *should* have the exact same bullet drop as their bolt action counterparts. It isn't like they use different ammunition. With the 7.92x57 and 7.62x54R cartridges, the differenence in barrel length doesn't make just about any difference since they have reached just about their max efficiency in a 24" barrel. So, in real life, the bullet drop should not be the same, but accuracy isn't anywhere near the same. The SVT and the G43 were not all that accurate of weapons. My guess is around 4 MOA or so, as opposed to the bolt action sniper rifles which were more around 1 MOA. So, at 200 meters, that is the difference between a 2" group and an 8" group. Big difference.

bobstos

FNG / Fresh Meat
Apr 17, 2006
When i am part of an actualy working squad (which happens very rarely on pub servers) I would play as the SVT scoped on maps like odessa. My part would be to hang back and provide percision cover, or to break clusters of enemy troops, so that they may become disoriented and easy targets. I dont use the semi-auto snipers on maps like Arad because the range isnt as great as the Mosin, and it isnt as accurate as the mosin (at greater ranges)