• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Sean's SDK Video Guides.

I'm a complete newbie when it comes to KF2 SDK but thought of using it as reference whenever I draw (I'm a 2D artist). Is it possible to import official maps and characters for viewing? I don't intend to create maps from scratch at this point. I frankly haven't found any video tutorial covering my question, is it even possible? If so I'd love to see you make a video <3

Upvote 0
Guide #8 - Volumes, is now live in the OP!

TheOnlyHorse;n2292026 said:
I'm a complete newbie when it comes to KF2 SDK but thought of using it as reference whenever I draw (I'm a 2D artist). Is it possible to import official maps and characters for viewing? I don't intend to create maps from scratch at this point. I frankly haven't found any video tutorial covering my question, is it even possible? If so I'd love to see you make a video <3
Yep mate, you can load all of the official maps and models for viewing and even edit them to some extent.

Try installing the SDK (Steam->Tools) and then load one of the official maps from here: ../Steam/steamapps/common/killingfloor2/kfgame/brewedpc/maps/<mapname>/

Upvote 0
Seanchaoz;n2286064 said:
If you set the "Whole Scene Dynamic Shadow Radius" on your dominant light to 0, it will only cast static shadows. This is a nice little trick (and a performance optimization I believe) to emulate a skylight that casts shadows.

A normal skylight cannot cast shadows because it has no directional point of origin. Skylights create ambient illumination that lights up everything everywhere, from all directions and therefor there is no source from which to cast shadows. So in essence, a DominantDirectionalLight with a Dynamic Shadow Radius of 0 emulates a skylight with shadow casting abilities.

Try setting it to 0 and take a look at your map. Then tweak your static shadows to your liking, and increase the dynamic radius again when you are happy with the baked ones.

I just can´t build uvs on my latest map because the parts of the map has 20k verticies, I could go lower but that would require to re done the map from 60 parts to 120, again the amount of clicking and building uvs will be enormous. I´m using dynamic shadows and they only activate when you´re close to the light. problem is that the light is pointing one way and you go back it will stop casting shadows immediately. These limitations really break the immersion.

Upvote 0
Seanchaoz;n2292093 said:
Yep mate, you can load all of the official maps and models for viewing and even edit them to some extent.

Try installing the SDK (Steam->Tools) and then load one of the official maps from here: ../Steam/steamapps/common/killingfloor2/kfgame/brewedpc/maps/<mapname>/

I'm looking at available "Tools" in my steam library and there are multiple SDK's, ranging between the Source variations and KF2's own SDK (already installed the latter). I'm not sure where to start... There's no newbie tutorial for setting this up from scratch.

Upvote 0