• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Seal Squeal Identity?

DreaderVII

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 25, 2015
Sweden
I like to use the Seal Squeal, but I fail to find any other good reason (Except Roleplaying Ahab) to use it, due to a few issues I am about to describe.

To begin with, it has too few Harpoons, making me sad when it goes quiet. Further, it weights too much to be part of any loadout of importance for Demo, either it has have to go by itself (If upgraded fully and matched with C4) or be sold to make room for T4-5 later on. Even fully upgraded, the low ammo amount cripples it which put it even further behind the other Demo T4-5s (Not sure about Husk Cannon, but wouldn't be surprised with the buffs it got so far).

The gun is no AK at it's t3 position, so I am thinking, make it a HZ12 instead. At a T2.5 Position and a weight of 6 instead of 8 it can excel as a secondary weapon for late loadouts or a good early waves weapon (If given more ammo). If going for T5 RPG+C4+Deagle it can pair with un-upgraded RPG until enough dosh have been earned to round out the loadout. Or you can keep it and use (The un-upgraded Seal Squeal) along with either the Husk Cannon or M32, which would be FUN!

At a T2.5 position it could cost 850, have +5 ammo to handle thrash better and ofcourse weight 6. The damage could be lowered *slightly* to fit this new position, but with Demo's damage traits it could still take out most thrash zed with 1 shot (Sometimes good aim is needed to 1-shot Bloats or Husks for example), making it a semi-precision based thrash killing weapon for Demo, basically placing it between M79's raw Boom-boom and M16's...uhh...bullets and lower explosion radius.

NOW, WHERE'S MY WHALE?!!!

Reactions: Aze
Meh... I actually really like where it's at. The accuracy of the crossbow with the ability to detonate your bombs (more or less) at will sounds perfectly fair game to me. Even more so when you can easily smash pretty much any zeds with it.

Add to that the ability to fire multiple bolts at once before getting the big explosion and you really got yourself both a crowd demolisher and an accurate big-zed-sniper.

Reactions: imnrk
Upvote 0
I have to agree with Dreader tho, Seal Squeal weighs a bit too much for what it has to offer as a T3 weapon should. Right now it doesn't give me a reason to stop using and M79 and upgrade it, costs less and kills better. Seal Squeal needs a generous bump in damage or a generous weight reduction. It may be hard to balance weapons, but good lord... Make guns satisfying to use, even if it may be too satisfying at first and needed to be toned down a bit (remember Helios Rifle introduction???) nobody is complaining that it got tiered higher without nerfing anything at all on that gun. Maybe Tripwire should try the same with Seal Squeal? Also Seal Squeal alt fire should def cancel reload animation............... oh god how I despise shooting harpoons that land near a group of zeds only to have said harpoons do no damage at all BECAUSE ZEDS ALREADY MOVED FROM THE AREA WHERE HARPOONS LANDED WHILE I WAS RELOADING 8U

Reactions: Aze
Upvote 0
Damn. Really guys? You really believe the Seal Squeal is on-par with the M79?

Because I honestly can't use that thing. Yes it deals plenty of damage, but it takes forever to reload. I usually keep and upgrade my HX-25 until I get access to the M16 (or well, the seal squeal now). They are just more versatile IMO.

Upvote 0
Aleflippy;n2332443 said:
Damn. Really guys? You really believe the Seal Squeal is on-par with the M79?

Because I honestly can't use that thing. Yes it deals plenty of damage, but it takes forever to reload. I usually keep and upgrade my HX-25 until I get access to the M16 (or well, the seal squeal now). They are just more versatile IMO.

I think the only thing holding it back is the fact that you cant detonate the harpoons while reloading, so it feels kind of clunky to use. That's my only complaint about it. I think I still prefer the death tube too.

Upvote 0
Coffee009;n2332447 said:
I think the only thing holding it back is the fact that you cant detonate the harpoons while reloading, so it feels kind of clunky to use. That's my only complaint about it. I think I still prefer the death tube too.

That and the fact they added the nauseating head bobbing again (tripwire stop that, seriously) and idk about you, but i can't really tell where the harpoons are flying into.
There's no visible trace and the red glow is barely noticeable

Upvote 0
TBH, i actually prefer the Seal Squeal since it's a versatile weapon that can be used against both mediums and large zeds alike, though I do wish it had more ammo tbh, and i feel that an upgraded version is on par with an RPG-7.

On a more personal note, i feel like the Seal Squeal is a missed opportunity to implement a Demo/Sharp cross-perk, considering that it's more of a ballistic weapon with an explosive secondary.

Upvote 0
flashn00b;n2332538 said:
TBH, i actually prefer the Seal Squeal since it's a versatile weapon that can be used against both mediums and large zeds alike, though I do wish it had more ammo tbh, and i feel that an upgraded version is on par with an RPG-7.

On a more personal note, i feel like the Seal Squeal is a missed opportunity to implement a Demo/Sharp cross-perk, considering that it's more of a ballistic weapon with an explosive secondary.

That is a brilliant idea! I would love to see it crossperked with the Sharp. That would be fantastic and totally makes more sense of the limited magazine size. I also think the self damage from close shots with it that the Demo gets from using the weapon should be limited.

Last edited:
Upvote 0